DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 4/7/2021

Dolfan in NYC

1 minute ago, For Great Justice said:

The interview interruptions are out of control to the point that I need JR to inform me next week that Cowboy has decided to start fining anyone who interrupts a promo $10,000. 

You can even work it to where you have a quick Khan interview where he says he doesn't pay people to show up only to not be able to do what he's paying for. Or make it a "it denies the fans the full experience" if you want to make fining wrestlers a babyface gesture.

It's a dumb gripe. Jericho's character is that of many thing, a big one being an actual rock star. He comes to the ring to a song he wrote and performed, a song that went to No. 5 on the Mainstream Rock charts and that everyone's learned the words to. He should pay the front row to sing it. He should be smug. That's the point.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, John E. Dynamite said:

It's a dumb gripe. Jericho's character is that of many thing, a big one being an actual rock star. He comes to the ring to a song he wrote and performed, a song that went to No. 5 on the Mainstream Rock charts and that everyone's learned the words to. He should pay the front row to sing it. He should be smug. That's the point.

It's like perfect blue in here though. There is no line between the man and the character. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jamal said:

Good stuff from Tay and Bunny. Good chemistry there. 

And yes, Britt, we are ready for that title match.

Tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of Shida vs. Britt were Britt got her nose broken & it's shocking they haven't had a rematch since. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Jiji said:

It's like perfect blue in here though. There is no line between the man and the character. 

Is Jericho the main character or the manager? Don't think about that one too hard, I don't think we're ready for a storyline like that.

Pro wrestling is people slowly, subconsciously realizing that the world will never love their actual selves as much as their on-screen personas. Fuck me if Jericho hasn't started becoming a perfect example.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

Tomorrow is the 1 year anniversary of Shida vs. Britt were Britt got her nose broken & it's shocking they haven't had a rematch since. 

AEW's really good about not running matches into the ground and they save a ton of stuff that can be big later. It's one of the best things I can say about their booking. 

• Like 6

Really cool opening with the Inner Circle. They looked really good.

Max Caster is kinda poopy. He has a lot of charisma, but his ring work sucks. I also thought Hangman looked a little rough at times, but maybe that has more to do with Caster than anything. Oh wow, and Caster botched that throw off the top rope. As a tag team, I think the Acclaimed are fine, but if Caster wants to be anything at the singles level, then he's going to need another good 12 months on the Dark circuit.

Hey! PAC is back! I will forever love Chuck and Trent, but I don't know how those two can be as loveable and as funny as they are on commentary or other videos and not bring any of that to TV. Eh, fuck it, I still love em.

Man, fuck Urban Meyer.

Jericho looks a lot better with a beard. Hmm, a commercial break for a promo? Ok then. Hell of a line about the spray tan. I'm not the biggest fan of shooty promos anymore. I would have been in my teens or 20s. I'm 40 now. Shooty promos are just weird now. BLOOD AND GUTS MATCH. Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Christian's ASMR/NPR voice isn't very electrifying. I'm also not feeling his whole Dolph Ziggler-esque gimmick. Be like Christian, not Dolph fucking Ziggler of all people.

Luchasaurus is getting worse and worse. It's funny because from the start of the company to sometime late last year he usually looked good. Now he has a weird botch nearly every match. As for Bear Country, when tag partners look somewhat similar and have similar-ish names, then I'm a fan of them having their names on their tights. This is just a long way to say that Bear Country should put their names on their tights. Oh no, please don't go for a spanish fly...Ok, it was just a superplex. Jesus. Bronson nearly killed Jungle Boy trying to break up a pin. A feel like there may be a common theme here with the Caster vs Hangman match. Bear Country looks fine on Dark, but I don't think they're quite ready for prime time. Timing, selling, etc. all looks off.

Mind you, I don't dislike any of these two matches. Wait. What? 50 minutes in and this is only the second match?

Another shooty promo, this time from QT. Come on already. I know I have complained for years that WWE's promos and wrestling promos in general could learn from some fighters in the UFC. This now feels a little like a monkey's paw wish. The problem with cutting UFC style promos is that it undermines the fact that these guys are all playing characters. There has to be a happy medium, but I'm not thrilled with how shooty this is.

ANOTHER PROMO?! This time with Sting. I wonder who interupts him this time and how fast. I'll give it maybe 2 minutes before he gets interupted. WE DIDN'T EVEN MAKE IT 30 SECONDS FROM TONY STARTING THE INTERVIEW. It's funny that Jake is out here talking about insanity being doing the same thing over and over again when that's what they've done with every Sting promo. I JUST WANT TO SEE THE FUCKING GUY TALK! Come the fuck on. There's no point in continuously dragging Sting out to keep doing the same shit. Holy shit! You let Sting talk and he's fucking captivating.

Another fucking promo. Hook clearly understands that it's an upper body business. LOL! Taz said that Christian is a real blue chipper. Christian is fucking old. Shouldn't a blue chipper be relatively new?

An hour in and we're starting our 3rd match. Maybe I'm just cranky today and bitching too much. I don't know. JD Drake looks like a shittier version of Kevin Owens. Ok. I take it back. I like this JD Drake guy. Holy shit! Darby's chest looks like hamburger. He's approaching Daniel Bryan in the Greatest Royal Rumble levels for how beat up his chest looks.

Ok, side note while I'm watching this match. The mat looks utterly filthy. Just fucking disgusting. TK, please mandate that wrestlers stop using so much spray tan. It makes the mat look like someone pissed all over it.

Anyway, Drake continues to rule. I love this guy. Hell of a match. They need to do something with Drake. Stick him under a mask, give him a mouthpiece unless he can speak well for himself, and repackage him with something more than a jobber name. HOLY FUCK! Butcher annihilated Darby. My god.

Oh my goodness yes. Dark Order was out with Sting. This bodes well for BTE next week.

Regardless of the shooty stuff that happens in AEW, one thing I like are the little things they do to explain things. Little things like showing that the Inner Circle was locked in their room mean a lot. Props to the announcers to for referencing Jericho and Tyson's history.

Britt is one of the best promos in wrestling. Love her.

Tay Conti, also really fun to watch. Allie isn't the best wrestler or anything, but her facial reactions crack me up.

Holy balls. This main event is getting something like 20 minutes. Nice. Moxley's hair looks like he's in his second week raising a newborn. Mox always looks like such a murder hobo, but he's going to look 10 times worse once that kid comes along.

• Like 2

Hangman/Caster was a real good opener. Nice finish in Darby/Drake. Loved Tay vs the Bunny, great hot start with the brawl angle beforehand and then both were nailing some solid moves and strikes throughout the match. Thought the Tyson save was pretty fun and enjoy his involvement here. Glad that Blood and Guts will finally be happening, should be epic.  Really dug the Sting/Archer/Jake segment.

Did not care for the Bucks drama in the main. Thinking back to the Bucks vs Omega/Page classic last year, did they not do plenty to hurt Kenny then? But now the BTE Trigger was going to severely injure him. Preferred the Bucks remaining faces rather than finally going full heel after the months of back and forth. 

Next week looks loaded up nicely. Looking forward to Darby/Hardy falls count anywhere

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Really cool opening with the Inner Circle. They looked really good.

Jeeeeeezus I forgot about this. I thought it was goofy as fuck, even more so than the time Jericho and MJF had their limos pull up to each other nose-to-nose.

This happens every week: I generally feel favorable towards Dynamite but as I recall details it starts to fall apart. For example, why didn't they just start the Bunny/Conti match when they first scrapped? Sting had a promo faceoff with Roberts/Archer, then goes away just to walk back out five minutes later with Darby. It's jarring and again you wonder why they couldn't merge things, maybe give JD a real entrance before going to break.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Yeah .. this isn’t a meta touch where Jericho is knowingly paying them. We’re not supposed to know they’re being paid .. but it’s so obviously forced that it’s a really, really bad look. They may as well add a laugh-track at various points too. Aesthetically whenever they pan to the audience it looks terrible now too, with the added factor of Jericho staring adoringly around this almost-empty building. I’m a Jericho fan generally by the way, but this is lame and a very steep deterioration of his “cool” factor from yester-year.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1