DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Wrestle Dontaku 2021 *CONTAINS SAKURA GENESIS SPOILERS*

The Natural

If I had my way Shingo Takagi beat Will Ospreay in the NJPW New Japan Cup 2021 Final, defeat Kota Ibushi for the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship at Sakura Genesis and defends it here against Ospeeay. Hope Hiroshi Tanahashi defends the NEVER Openweight Championship against Jay White. I want a long reign for Tanahashi as he builds up the belt. What an absolute waste of a Ladder match.

At least Desperado will get one successful defense. Hopefully Yoh looks good in singles competition.

I am perversely looking forward to Taichi-Tonga. Seems odd to bust out a ladder match when the crowds can only clap.

3 minutes ago, Spontaneous said:

I am perversely looking forward to Taichi-Tonga. Seems odd to bust out a ladder match when the crowds can only clap.

I don't know, whole idea Taichi/Tonga in a ladder match fighting over Iron Fingers sounds absurd regardless if it is empty arena, clap crowds or normal crowds. It is either going to be one of the greatest things that happened this year or absolute train wreck.

Just now, Archibald said:

I don't know, whole idea Taichi/Tonga in a ladder match fighting over Iron Fingers sounds absurd regardless if it is empty arena, clap crowds or normal crowds. It is either going to be one of the greatest things that happened this year or absolute train wreck.

I think that's why I'm curious. I'm expecting it to be a very attitude era clusterfuck in a NJPW ring.

I suppose as long as they don't commit the cardinal sin of being boring than it'll be OK. 

No way was I expecting Shingo to get this much backing when he came in. I wonder how Sanada feels being the #4 guy in LI even after Evil left.

> Comes in
> Wins jr tag title after three months
> Is undefeated for the best part of a year
> Sets a points record in his only BOSJ
> Loses final, immediately promoted to heavyweight
> First ever double-NEVER champion (for seven months!)
> Spends 294 days as a heavyweight singles champ
> Needs Tanahashi to prise the NEVER title away from him, then a New Japan Cup final
> Loses NJC final, then does an Ibushi and gets the shot anyway
> Straight IWGP main eventing

More singles matches 

19/04/2021

Tomohiro Ishii vs. Yujiro Takahashi
Hirooki Goto vs. Taiji Ishimori
YOSHI-HASHI vs. KENTA

04/26/2021

SANADA vs. Aaron Henare
Tetsuya Naito vs. Great-O- Khan

28/04/2021

KOPW Yano vs Evil.

Edited by D.Z

The whole point of having a Wrestling Dontaku is that there is a giant event going on at the same time that in a normal year brings something like two million people into Hakata. But they've already canceled the parade for this year and the Dontaku itself is scaled way down. No one is using the Marine Messe hall on the 3rd and 4th so why not run one slightly bigger show there?

5 hours ago, D.Z said:

More singles matches 

19/04/2021

Tomohiro Ishii vs. Yujiro Takahashi
Hirooki Goto vs. Taiji Ishimori
YOSHI-HASHI vs. KENTA

04/26/2021

SANADA vs. Aaron Henare
Tetsuya Naito vs. Great-O- Khan

28/04/2021

KOPW Yano vs Evil.

Poor Tomohiro Ishii getting lumbered with Yujiro Takahashi.

2 hours ago, Spontaneous said:

Evil-Yano looks like it'll be a blindfold match...

Can we wear them too? ;).

3 hours ago, lostinube said:

The whole point of having a Wrestling Dontaku is that there is a giant event going on at the same time that in a normal year brings something like two million people into Hakata. But they've already canceled the parade for this year and the Dontaku itself is scaled way down. No one is using the Marine Messe hall on the 3rd and 4th so why not run one slightly bigger show there?

Maybe buildings have been booked way in advance when it wasn't still clear if parade would get cancelled or not?

• 2 weeks later...

With the IWGP HW and IC merged into one and the U.S title in USA, opens up for more non title singles matches and other people facing for the Never belt.

Tanahashi is looking forward to change the values of the Never title, he mentioned Shibata and Ishii values but wants to move away from those guys by aiming higher position for that title. He said it is historic the Never title will be main event dome and stadium level.

Edited by D.Z
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, D.Z said:

With the IWGP HW and IC merged into one and the U.S title in USA, opens up for more non title singles matches and other people facing for the Never belt.

Tanahashi is looking forward to change the values of the Never title, he mentioned Shibata and Ishii values but wants to move away from those guys by aiming higher position for that title. He said it is historic the Never title will be main event dome and stadium level.

I want a long reign as NEVER Openweight Champion for Hiroshi Tanahashi. Tanahashi is a true legend.

• Like 1

EzenjhCUcAAAQ4g?format=jpg&name=900x900

Will Ospreay aims to exceed Brock Lesnar who was the last non-native to win the Dome main (2006), and really wants to face Okada. We will have to see unless they make the IWGP World a zero title defense hot shot belt and further break their own booking rules and put it on Shingo.

Will said something else about the previous sealed away IWGP HW title and Okada but I couldn't make it out.

On 4/22/2021 at 4:52 AM, Infinit said:

Any other must see matches on this tour so far?

Sanada/Henare and Naito/Oka are worth watching if you like those guys. Neither did something to change your opinion about them, but you know, more Naito content is more Naito content so I can't complain.

• Thanks 1