DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Wrestle Grand Slam 2021. *CONTAINS SAKURA GENESIS 2021 SPOILERS*

The Natural

Just announced 8 minutes ago. Pull Kota Ibushi from Wrestle Grand Slam already. I'd have done it sooner. Health is most important. The NJPW World Heavyweight Championship is cursed.

Edited by The Natural

57 minutes ago, Horangi said:

Completely agree, pull him and have either Okada or Tanahashi challenge him in Osaka for the Dome, still enough time to change it. Maybe Tanahashi so Shingo can avenge the February loss.

Cheers for agreeing with me. I like those options, I'd go with Shingo Takagi vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi for that reason plus it's still my favourite NJPW match this year.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gordberg said:

Open the forbidden door!

(Maybe bring in someone with a past relationship to Ibushi? An ex tag partner or someting?)

Danshoku Dino vs Shingo!

In all seriousness, pull Kota and sub in Tanahashi. After their NEVER title match Shingo said they'd have a rematch at some point. Do it now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tanahashi vs KENTA at Nagoya could easily be made into a number 1 contenders match. I guess Ishii v EVIL could also be made into one as I think they're the only other top-ish guys not on the Dome besides Suzuki. 

Is it known why New Japan doesn't work with other promotions? You'd think while they can't really bring over AEW or foreign talent as easily it'd be a no-brainer to stimulate interest. Even if it isn't at the Dome, Takagi v Kento or Kiyomiya or even a big rival from his DG days (YAMATO maybe? Not super familiar with DG since 2008) should generate buzz than say Takagi vs EVIL or SANADA presently.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Horangi said:

Is it known why New Japan doesn't work with other promotions? You'd think while they can't really bring over AEW or foreign talent as easily it'd be a no-brainer to stimulate interest. Even if it isn't at the Dome, Takagi v Kento or Kiyomiya or even a big rival from his DG days (YAMATO maybe? Not super familiar with DG since 2008) should generate buzz than say Takagi vs EVIL or SANADA presently.

Because it wouldn't be mutually beneficial? Either Shingo beats top guy from another promotion with them never getting their win back or NJPW ends up showcasing midcarder from smaller promotion on their big show.

They did just let SHO work Gleat of all places. He won but it was odd to see that be where they slightly opened up. Could have been just to get him a payday since he isn't active on this tour as much as he had been the last year. 

50 minutes ago, Spontaneous said:

Could see him and Bushi challenge the winners of the Jr Tag match afterwards. 

Gives Hiromu Takahashi the IWGP Jr Heavyweight Tag Team Championship reign he's missing, the only one in the division and then becomes a heavyweight. I though that might have happened while Time Bomb was out but added bulk right now might scupper him.

Edited by The Natural

19 hours ago, Horangi said:

Tanahashi vs KENTA at Nagoya could easily be made into a number 1 contenders match. I guess Ishii v EVIL could also be made into one as I think they're the only other top-ish guys not on the Dome besides Suzuki. 

THe DDT/NOAH family definitely won't, there's bad blood there, and a lot of other promotions see working with NJPW as not being in their long-term interest due to some of the tactics NJPW used in the past.

Naito/Sanada vs ZSJ/Taichi singles matches are worth tracking down. No, if you don't like these guys then they are not going to change your opinion here, but all 4 matches were solid fun with Naito's being a bit better than Sanada's. And they had zero (I guess someone could make an argument for one match) fuckery.

Edited by Archibald
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Archibald said:

Naito/Sanada vs ZSJ/Taichi singles matches are worth tracking down. No, if you don't like these guys then they are not going to change your opinion here, but all 4 matches were solid fun with Naito's being a bit better than Sanada's. And they had zero (I guess someone could make an argument for one match) fuckery.

Thanks. I'll seek out Tetsuya Naito vs. Zack Sabre Jr and skip Taichi vs. SANADA.

Taichi was the real MVP of those matches, loved the callbacks to old All Japan. Purely my own opinion but I rank the 4 matches as follows - Taichi v Naito, Taichi v SANADA, Zack v SANADA, Zack v Naito. All were really enjoyable though, can't go wrong with any of them.

Spoiler

Taken from f4wonline.com:

Tana then cut this amazing babyface promo. He was practically in tears. The NJPW Global Twitter account translated the promo: 

"Right now, I'm going to be honest and humble with you. Thank you. Thank you for being here...

If we can draw enough power from one another we can overcome anything and live through everything. That's what pro-wrestling is about. 

And although I'm sweaty, I'm not tired. This tireless body will pull NJPW into the future. 

Thank you for your support. Keep taking care of yourselves, stay healthy and enjoy pro-wrestling. FINALLY- one more thing. Tomorrow. The Tokyo Dome. The main event... is still uncertain. So can I make a little appeal? 

If I'm needed (to fill in for Ibushi tomorrow) - I am ready! AIshitemasu!"

Tana played air guitar to close the show 

C'mon, Hiroshi Tanahashi. Such a likeable baby face you want to root for and a great Ace. Amazing that's he's still going strong. Hiroshi Tanahashi is in my top five Greatest of All Time:

5. Hiroshi Tanahashi.

4. Kazuchika Okada.

3. Bret Hart.

2. Kenta Kobashi.

1. Bryan Danielson.