DVDVR Message Board

AEW - APR 2021

The Natural

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

OH SHIT! Fuck. Yes. Bring them both in.

Royce is married to Spears so I’m sure the idea will come up for Royce to join AEW and why not reform the IIConics in AEW I’d like to see what they could do with the reigns off

• Like 2

One thing to keep in mind about AEW is that last year, when their women’s division was in the pits, they were unwilling to open up the pocket book to sign any of the big female free agents at the time.  Instead, they chose to go bargain hunting (and had success, to be fair).  So, a year later, with a much improved women’s division, I wouldn’t necessarily expect them to start throwing money around at the Iconics, Mickie, Chelsea, etc.

I hate that I keep thinking that AEW should just add this newly released person X and stop after that because their roster is bloated enough each and every time a new interesting person hits the market. But, to be honest, I'd give all my money to Andrade and Somoa Joe. Although one should probably clear out how much Senior Joe hast left in the tank - but I'd still give him money even if he can't do anything more than managing and commentating, just not all my money.

But, really, the roster is big enough already. Just stop. After signing this newly realeased person X.

I haven't really watched much WWE in the last years but I really liked The IIconics every time I saw stuff of them via Reddit or Youtube. Mainly their stupid antics in backstage segments. They would probably be a gift that keeps on giving for BTE but I just don't see them on Dynamite.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm sorry but if AEW isn't signing talent like Joe and Sombra because of the Gunn Club, that is fucking dumb. There is some serious fat on the roster that could be trimmed if you want to get rid of the bloat. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Whoa, I think Miro could be Joe-esque if he keeps on this current path. He's got that prime Joe intensity. If he can structure a match like Joe of that era, he's going to be a huge star for AEW because prime Joe wasn't much of a promo until later on.

• Like 1

Okay, that isn't really fair to Miro. But they need to unleash him already. I'd be fine with an episode where he just interrupts all the matches and runs roughshod over everyone.

All I really wanted to say is that if I had a choice of any of the outside talent currently working (excluding Cody and Jericho who are necessary) or Joe, it'd probably be Joe, if only for a final run and then a commentary role.

...Hero is the guy they really should be after though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

Yeah, I'm sorry but if AEW isn't signing talent like Joe and Sombra because of the Gunn Club, that is fucking dumb. There is some serious fat on the roster that could be trimmed if you want to get rid of the bloat. 

Gunns

Half the Nightmare people

Cutler doesn't need to be on-screen

Kip and Penelope

Spears

Shift SCU to backstage

Janela

Hager

Chaos Project

Avalon's group

Even the Sydals

Forget now, most of them should have been gone 6 months ago.

EDIT: On the women's side, I'd cut bait on Swole, Leva, and Shanna, but maybe that's just me.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah. We liked it, Shaggy not so much. 

God bless Mike for trying to catch him or at least slow his momentum down. That said, there is a lot of stuff in the last couple years in WCW that was unnecessarily dangerous, questionable, and/or stupid. Shaggy 2 Dope almost dying because someone was too dumb to realize the top of a bus is not the best surface to do a running powerbomb on is one of them.

• Like 2

If my last comment seems harsh -- I think we're all glad AEW isn't run by shitbags like WWE is. It's awesome they were able to help people out during the pandemic, and give folks a place to grow and explore what they wanna be. But now it's time to decide whether you want to have a crazy stacked roster and make a real run at things, or if you'd rather take care of Cezar Bononi and Luther.

Eventually you gotta start running a business like it's a business.

• Like 3

Mickie James and Sarita from last years purge are two of the women I'd like them to sign if they wanted to bring in vets that can go and be great player/coaches* like Deeb was doing before the injury

Joe I'd bring in as a manager who occasionally gets in the ring to let him build this menacing aura on the mic and give him this Special feel when he does wrestle* every now and again. Maybe slot him in Dark to work off any ring rust? 

*IMHO [I'm just a scrub fantasy drafting free agents here]

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

God bless Mike for trying to catch him or at least slow his momentum down. That said, there is a lot of stuff in the last couple years in WCW that was unnecessarily dangerous, questionable, and/or stupid. Shaggy 2 Dope almost dying because someone was too dumb to realize the top of a bus is not the best surface to do a running powerbomb on is one of them.

Deadlock did a watchalong back in December for the 2006 Armageddon four way tag ladder match and people were throwing other people and did not care how they landed. Some insanely dangerous shit that I can't believe guys did. The sliced bread off the ladder to Regal, the Regal half'n'half on Kendrick, the obvious ladder spot with Joey which the match gets flattened down to (legit forgot the other two teams were in it), and so much more. 

Last night I watched the wildest wrestling show I think I've ever seen, TNA #5 in the Asylum, and it featured a Sabu/Malice (THE WALL!) ladder match for a contract to face sandal-clad NWA champion Ken Shamrock. Multiple insane bumps that shocked me including Malice on top of the ladder in the ring getting dumped onto a table on the outside. He was billed as 6'9" and landed feet first mostly. It really is mind blowing to see how different (violent and dangerous) wrestling was in the late '90s up to Benoit's double-murder and suicide. Like I lived through it the first time but fucking hell... 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Deadlock did a watchalong back in December for the 2006 Armageddon four way tag ladder match and people were throwing other people and did not care how they landed. Some insanely dangerous shit that I can't believe guys did. The sliced bread off the ladder to Regal, the Regal half'n'half on Kendrick, the obvious ladder spot with Joey which the match gets flattened down to (legit forgot the other two teams were in it), and so much more. 

Last night I watched the wildest wrestling show I think I've ever seen, TNA #5 in the Asylum, and it featured a Sabu/Malice (THE WALL!) ladder match for a contract to face sandal-clad NWA champion Ken Shamrock. Multiple insane bumps that shocked me including Malice on top of the ladder in the ring getting dumped onto a table on the outside. He was billed as 6'9" and landed feet first mostly. It really is mind blowing to see how different (violent and dangerous) wrestling was in the late '90s up to Benoit's double-murder and suicide. Like I lived through it the first time but fucking hell... 

Dude, I was going say this exactly but specifically 1999 on.

I am all for wrestlers being physical as possible and doing what it takes to get the job done, but 1999 seems to be the year where wrestling stunts entered the realm of dangerous just for the sake of being dangerous. I mean the Owen Hart fall is the most obvious and egregious example because what's the endgame? It's a throwaway meaningless match on the curtain jerking section of the card. And it's not like WWF was running three or four PPVs a year. Had it been executed without accident, no one would have remembered that shit the next month when WWF did another PPV. Hell, there are FAMOUS, historic moments that are good to great in the late 90s and early 2000 I barely remember.

And I've watched some of those WWF PPVs from 1999 especially the throwaway ones between the big four. People did not give a shit until 2/3s into the PPV (and two thirds might even be generous considering there was probably 20 minutes of awesomeness on the whole show for some of these). Why put the talent at risk unnecessarily when you can do something infinitely less dangerous in real life and get over just the same if not more? 

WCW in an effort to mimic WWF just decided to do the same thing except the creative was so bad it had no chance to begin with. 

• Like 1

Yeah, that it accomplished very little other than momentary pops is the sad part. Foley got over to legendary status because of King of the Ring '98 ($10,000 NTF lol). But how many other guys got over in WWF, WCW, or TNA due to the insane spots? Shane was already over without them, they just amplified the crowd's love/hate for him. Jeff Hardy? He almost assuredly doesn't get nearly as over without the crazy dumb spots. Edge, Christian, Matt Hardy, even the Dudleys did not need that shit to get over and could talk or work a straight wrestling match incredibly well. Jeff could too but man the stuff he did added to his myth tenfold. That TNA BFG '05 dive off the stage, OVER James Mitchell, and onto Abyss is one of the coolest fucking things I've ever seen. But yeah, as you say, to what end for most everybody else?

Linking this back to AEW, Darby absolutely could get over without killing himself but it has expedited the process and given him an edge that hardly anybody has in 2021. Everybody in the world can tell the guy it's not worth it but that's just him. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

You don't need to worry about Hook, nobody's coming after him. May have to worry about his father though, as that guy's clearly the beneficiary of nepotism. 

What are you saying, he doesn't have OTHER MONEY?

• Haha 1

With such a huge roster, all I want is the return of the mothership.  Bring pro wrasslin' back to Saturday nights on TBS.  There is enough talent to go around.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 7

16 minutes ago, J.T. said:

With such a huge roster, all I want is the return of the mothership.  Bring pro wrasslin' back to Saturday nights on TBS.  There is enough talent to go around.

Dark is to me the closest thing to WCWSN that we’ve had since. The commentary, mix of squashes and lower card competitive matches. Just easy listening man. 

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Dark is to me the closest thing to WCWSN that we’ve had since. The commentary, mix of squashes and lower card competitive matches. Just easy listening man. 

Oh, it Is totally like WCWSN, but I'd still like a live program on normal television on Saturday night in addition to Dark and Elevation.   I like the idea of Dark and Elevation being online and giving me the impression that they are try-out programs for the folks that aren't ready for television.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2