DVDVR Message Board

AEW - APR 2021

The Natural

I just started catching up on a bunch of AEW. I really liked the segment where MJF revealed The Pinnacle and got one over on The Inner Circle. But man, JR and Tony S. were pretty terrible in that segment and a bunch of the other things I've watched. It that a widely held belief or is it just me? But they serve the same exact purpose -- opinionated play-by-play, and each of them has the same opinions. And JR putting over Wardlow in the way he did -- he's the moneymaker in this organization, he'll be introduced first one day, etc. The whole focus of the segment should have been putting MJF over as the most brilliant mastermind in years, taking his place amongst the all-time greats, etc., while also putting over FTR and Sean Spears and tying in Tully as the mentor, and then talking about Wardlow over when he tosses Jericho through the table at the end as an enforcer as opposed to JR's IRL thoughts on Wardlow's potential. 

There are other examples. Maybe I'm nitpicking or whatever. But they should have just turned off the mics and kept it silent to emphasize the shock of the moment. 

2 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

But man, JR and Tony S. were pretty terrible in that segment and a bunch of the other things I've watched. It that a widely held belief or is it just me?

People were into Tony's enthusiasm at the beginning, but my belief is some people have cooled on him. JR is a regular target for criticism and mocking. It's not just you. 

I've been of the opinion that the announce booth is too crowded, three commentators with no clearly defined roles (Like when WCW had Tony as lead, Bobby as Color, and Mike Tenay doing his Professor bits)and often they add a fourth person. I feel cutting it in half would help a lot. JR tends to get lost when trying to make his points and I do feel that him and Tony tend to step on each other. Send Jr and Jericho (as he's seemingly winding up his in ring career) to the second show where they can play off each other with the Ray Stevens references and leave Tony and Excalibur on the main show

• Like 2

He is somehow more insufferable now. 

Speaking of Impact, in case you don't watch it or read the thread: tonight Kenny wasn't there, they said he'd have to forfeit if he didn't show. They decided to do a six-way for his next contender and will have two guys fight each episode until then to decide the lineup. Of course, Kenny showed up at the very end to gloat. This impacts (heh) what's going forward in AEW in no way so far.

12 hours ago, zendragon said:

I've been of the opinion that the announce booth is too crowded, three commentators with no clearly defined roles (Like when WCW had Tony as lead, Bobby as Color, and Mike Tenay doing his Professor bits)and often they add a fourth person. I feel cutting it in half would help a lot. JR tends to get lost when trying to make his points and I do feel that him and Tony tend to step on each other. Send Jr and Jericho (as he's seemingly winding up his in ring career) to the second show where they can play off each other with the Ray Stevens references and leave Tony and Excalibur on the main show

Agreed. Love JR but his best days are behind him.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

How bad does JR have to be to erase his value as a legitimizing voice for lapsed/casual fans? The answer is he isn't even close to crossing that hypothetical Ray Mendoza line. We're stuck with him.

I was watching part 1 of the Pillman doc and he’s wearing his aew polo shirt and coming off with so much credibility and authority. He’s an asset to them, and I agree with everyone’s criticisms. I cringe at least once a week. 

For Everyone's Favorite Topic. More on the NHL To Turner Deal ?

Per Meltzer from the new WON - the stuff specific to AEW

The deal is very important when it comes to pro wrestling as the shift of NXT to Tuesday was if NBC got the deal, USA was expected to start airing NHL games on Wednesday toward the end of this season and going forward. The move to Turner, which will air 72 games per season on TNT and TBS, which means multiple games per week, will in some form affect the AEW schedule, at the least during the playoffs and time slots available for the scheduled second show.

Turner has not said what days and what stations the games will air on. TNT already has the NBA on Tuesdays and Thursdays, which is the company’s highest priority. The possibility of a Wednesday game on TNT has been talked about in the sports world as a story because it would force a move of AEW. But a Wednesday game could also air on TBS, or there could be no Wednesday game. The impression from AEW was that they believed they were solid on Wednesday because of their established ratings and the contract they have.

Tony Khan was also on “Busted Open” radio and said, “I know Wednesday night is our slot and our home. I'm thrilled with our partnership with TNT. It's the lifeblood of our company and our primary revenue source. It's the way most fans get exposed to AEW and see our show. Every Wednesday that we do Dynamite, for a lot of wrestling fans, it's a really important night of the week. I want everyone rest assured that they're not going to have to worry about these kind of major, we have a contract with over two and a half years left for Wednesday nights in this slot. If there was ever an opportunity to move or a deal to be had, I would consider it. If we did something, it would have to be a really good deal for AEW and make sense for us. As it stands right now, that is the spot we're in. If we move, I would certainly consider a deal if there was something in it for AEW."

However, this could affect the proposed second weekly AEW show, which was scheduled to begin in the fall. It also could affect AEW during the playoffs, as the NBA playoffs do, and force it to move time slots a few weeks a year and the NHL playoffs, at the same time, could also do the same. Because of the NBA, really, a second show would either have to be on a different station, TBS or another station, which was not the original deal which was for it to air on TNT, or the second show would have to air on Friday or Saturday nights basically by process of elimination because Tony Khan has said he won’t run on Sunday, Monday or Thursday against the NFL. Either of those nights, if we go with the idea Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday are taken on TNT, would be potential NHL nights.

--------------------

Dynamite ratings on Wednesday would beat NHL ratings during the season and playoffs. Now with no NXT, Dynamite would probably be close to even or even beat the numbers of the Stanley Cup finals, depending on the teams. Last year AEW and the Stanley Cup finals went head-to-head once, with the 18-49 numbers almost identical (the NHL had a small lead but this was with AEW having competition from NXT). Still, no matter the ratings, the NHL will be a higher priority, especially during the playoffs.

This also could have an effect regarding TNT Sports money since that’s another huge commitment for them as they would have baseball, basketball and hockey. As part of the deal, Turner would get three of the next seven Stanley Cup final series, with ESPN/ABC getting the other four, as well as the Winter Classic on 1/1. That date is on a Wednesday in 2025.

AEW’s current deal ends at the end of 2024, and so much will change between now and then.

There was more regarding AEW's potential next TV deal but this is the more immediate info

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Casey said:

I have no idea how reliable they are, but according to SEScoops, Tessa Blanchard and Daga are pretty close to signing. And...

Iirc they’re the ones that first broke Jim Ross and chris jericho were working with their agent about a new promotion. That was like November before the bte but at the Tokyo dome.