DVDVR Message Board

AEW - APR 2021

The Natural

5 hours ago, zendragon said:

I'd rather them add a US title (I think Miro would be good with this one) have that be more storyline focused and have the TNT title be just guys doing open challenges every week with the focus on the work rate.

Now this idea is more my speed. A US Title that is the clear number 2 title. You use it as the real springboard for the Miros / MJFs / Hangmans on the roster to solidify them taking that next step. Then the TNT Title  becomes clear number 3 title and used primarily on open challenges that don't need a lot of setup. I like it.

• Like 1

If they're going to add a third singles title then either that or the TNT title should be primarily defended on the main event of Dark or Elevation to help establish the standing of the belts. It might get a few more eyes on those shows as well.

14 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

If they're going to add a third singles title then either that or the TNT title should be primarily defended on the main event of Dark or Elevation to help establish the standing of the belts. It might get a few more eyes on those shows as well.

Pretty sure that TNT would want the TNT title defended on TNT lol ?

(But I get your point. Having a title match consistently in the second hour on Elevation or Dark would also be a nice shot at the WWE programs on TV at the same time too)

Edited by Infinit
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

I disagree. Everyone else mentioned it's the title for TNT. But beyond that Dark & Elevation are just enhancement shows. The original concept for Dark was, we're doing dark matches before the live events... let's tape them. I don't think it's meant to be WCW Saturday Night's successor or something they want to drive viewers to. Wrestling monetization on You Tube is pretty lousy. It's meant for rusty & green members of the roster to get some work in and practice in front of the cameras. And for them to test out new potential signings.

I know they sold Elevation as being something a bit more. But I truly feel like it's just meant to be a second Dark in the long run. They've been saying a second TNT / Warner show is coming. So when that happens they can tape Dark before Dynamite on Wednesdays and tape Elevation before Untitled Second Show on like Fridays or whatever on the road. It's Velocity & Heat. It's Metal & Jacked. It's not meant to have a title that drives the product. It's an accessory not a priority. Once they get back on the road there's no way they can keep loading these shows up with 13 matches each.

But that's just my assessment of it. Maybe I'm way off.

Speaking of the TNT title, as we're getting closer to DoN with no clear direction for either the world title or TNT title for the show, I'd absolutely love them to somehow dust off the old Nikita Koloff "the TNT champion is the de facto number one contender" bit and run an injury or double KO angle the Dynamite before DoN, then announce that due to the Koloff rule Allin is getting a match against Kenny. Then just have them tear it right the fuck up. 

I'm just a sucker for that sort of Bill Watts logical booking stuff.

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 4

I really like that rule but I think they've deliberately avoided it because they want the TNT title to be its own achievement not a stepping stone to something seen as bigger and better (even if the world title obviously is).

I wonder if they've avoided building to DoN early to keep the main focus on Blood & Guts. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Omega wants another top title.

Oh shit, now the idea of Kenny going after *Allin's* title because he wants all da belts, only for Allin to beat the numbers game at the PPV and win (!) would be amazing as shit. Serves the purpose @Jiji mentioned about making the TNT title a peer, further establishes Allin as a top guy and doesn't impede your Kenny/Hangman world title story over the summer.

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, D.Z said:

So far Omega has the AEW World, the two titles of Impact World, AAA Mega title. 

7346db5e87048663c293d21e20d631b1

I'm surprised they used this shot of Kenny with the AEW title not in a prominent position in the picture 

Good lord I don't recognize Marty at all in that photo. The fat guy that wore a T-shirt in Lucha Underground is GONE. I always thought his character was a little goofy until it got real pervy but he proved in that last LU match he can go -- and will absolutely bleed to death for your entertainment. Given that is a decent part of working out in AEW I think he will succeed.

• Like 2

When Mox challenged Nagata it seemed like he was crossing off a name on his fanboy wishlist to give people like us something to talk about.

Now it's happening on Dynamite it looks like a Saudi Prince booked it.

• Like 1

I finally watched last week's Dynamite after sleeping through literally the whole thing and yeah, it was really good. That main had to be maybe the best straight singles match with no brawl, blood or whatever I've seen them have so far. 

But... BUT. They really need to do something that might piss off the sponsors, but if TNT would let them just put the screen-in-screen at half and half instead of big box/small box, it would help out so so much. They can keep on the audio for the commercials, I wouldn't care! Just let me have an equal size screen so I'm not squinting at my fucking TV, which just makes me mute the sound and ignore the match. 

Or just have full commercial breaks, have replays, and put the full matches online after awhile. I'd rather that than the picture in picture.

I get fullscreen (and commentary) during picture in picture. On the Fy Dap!

(Fite dot tv. But Jim Ross pronounces Fite App as Fy Dap)

• Like 1

I really wish they could work out a deal where there would only be commercials between matches, but obviously they would if they could. Is there any sport besides auto racing that has breaks during the action? Perhaps golf but they have that presentation down well. The breaks in matches are really jarring to me and take me out of it. For years after I had given up on raw and smackdown I continued watching ppvs on the network, plus new japan etc, so the commercials were a really unpleasant development.