DVDVR Message Board

AEW - APR 2021

The Natural

Miro apparently set up an early screening of the new Mortal Combat movie for some AEW folks.  They're all posting pics by the sign at the movie theater and I find it very wholesome.  I'm sure Jim Ross will be mad because they're not drugging "rats" or winning bar fights or whatever, but it's nice.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CN74jNopyyu/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

That's awesome!  I hate, hate, hate the Judas singalong.  I didn't mind when it was an organic thing that happened with the live audience. The crap with the wrestlers is too much.  When Jericho was a heel, why were the faces singing along, too?   Now that he's (I guess) a face, why are the heels singing along?  Also, he does that stupid grin like he's just so surprised and flattered that they're doing it.  It just makes the lower card wrestlers look like a bunch of brown-nosing suck-ups.

If you couldn't tell, I don't like it one bit.  No sir.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

Who has the power/courage to tell Jericho it's cringe, particularly as a babyface?

I mean, MJF has to mention it at some point, right?  Has he already and I missed it?

16 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

True story according to him:

Re: Sid/Pillman WarGames Powerbomb

This may be conjecture, but I believe it was a botch. However, due to the heat from the squeegee thing later on when Sid was in WWF and out with his bicep injury, he makes it sound like it was intentional in hindsight. In actuality, Pillman was suppose to be carried out anyway. Sid just fucked up the powerbomb so royally and didn't know the top of the cage was that low that inadvertently it made the finish more credible. He was suppose to powerbomb Pillman twice and they wave the match off to make Pillman look too tough for his own good. 

• Like 1

And oh FWIW, there was a Shotgun Saturday Night where Sid is having a match and JR and Pillman are on commentary. Pillman actually kinda references the squeegee incident hilariously. Keep in mind, they would record the commentary AFTERWARDS because they taped the show after Raw. So they intentionally left that in. 

18 hours ago, Log said:

That's awesome!  I hate, hate, hate the Judas singalong.  I didn't mind when it was an organic thing that happened with the live audience. The crap with the wrestlers is too much.  When Jericho was a heel, why were the faces singing along, too?   Now that he's (I guess) a face, why are the heels singing along?  Also, he does that stupid grin like he's just so surprised and flattered that they're doing it.  It just makes the lower card wrestlers look like a bunch of brown-nosing suck-ups.

If you couldn't tell, I don't like it one bit.  No sir.  

Yes - glad folks are grasping and highlighting it like that parody video. More than anything its embarrassing. They went from that really nice bit with the choir singing it on his way to the ring vs. Moxley .. to whatever this carny mess can be termed. Its the kind of thing Jericho would amusingly rail against in a promo 10 or 15 years ago. "What has this become?" indeed. They've cut a lot of the lame content so this lingers like a particularly nauseating smell. Over the year they're probably at the 2 hour mark for TV-time-wasted on this too, so it has a utilitarian impact as well.

You need to check Dr. Britt Baker's new bloody entrance video out. It's great. Official release by AEW Music.

Speaking of AEW Music, which for you are the best themes?

Mine:

#5. The Dark Order.

#4. Darby Allin.

#3. Sting.

#2. Dr. Britt Baker.

#1. The late, great Mr Brodie Lee.

Ricky Starks's theme is by far one of my favorites.  That and the Best Friends one is just so damn catchy that it's great when either working out or just working.  I also love MJF's theme though preferred the original one before they added his catchphrase in the beginning.

Speaking of themes AEW put out an 8-bit album absolutely that needs to be heard.  I would say it's more 16-bit but it has sounds that you'd hear in familiar SNES and Genesis games.  Heck, even ones like Penelope's theme sound great as it makes me think of a California-style racing game.  Ricky's in particular is my favorite as it borrows a bit from Sonic's Mystic Cave Zone level.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Ricky Starks's theme is by far one of my favorites.  That and the Best Friends one is just so damn catchy that it's great when either working out or just working.  I also love MJF's theme though preferred the original one before they added his catchphrase in the beginning.

Speaking of themes AEW put out an 8-bit album absolutely that needs to be heard.  I would say it's more 16-bit but it has sounds that you'd hear in familiar SNES and Genesis games.  Heck, even ones like Penelope's theme sound great as it makes me think of a California-style racing game.  Ricky's in particular is my favorite as it borrows a bit from Sonic's Mystic Cave Zone level.

Good call on MJF. Forgot that one.

• Like 1

Jim Johnston was on Chris Van Vliet the other week. He said he's not retired and is still accepting commissions.  So presumably anyone could hire him to do their music.

Honestly, I don't remember when I was so interested/excited for so many different acts as I am with AEW right now. An infinite number of potential matchups with their cornucopia of young talent. Just take MJF/Hangman/Darby/Starks/Jungle/Miro/Hobbs/Sammy/Wardlow and you take their potential matches against each other and against the established vets/main eventers and we've got so much goddamn good shit. Actual good shit. 

I know alot of this goes without saying, but it feels great to feel this passionate about pro wres like this again ?

• Like 6