DVDVR Message Board

AEW - APR 2021

The Natural

Really fun episode of Elevation that all kinds of awesome stuff going on.  The main 6-man tag started off a bit too cute for my liking with the headset bit.  But it ended up being a pretty fun match.  Takeshita is definitely a future star and somebody that I should keep an eye on.

I'm also thinking more and more that Abadon might be my favorite woman on the roster.  It's the mix of incredible gimmick plus how her wrestling style complements it quite well.  She has this stalking style of sorts with the intent to just torment her opponents.  I absolutely love it.  And that doesn't account for other reasons for liking her but that's all I'll say about that.

• Like 2

Random throwaway move that could be a finish: Alex Reynolds did a vertical suplex lift, then dropped them forward like he was doing a Gourdbuster. Only he dropped to one knee and basically did a Skullbreaker out of it. Not like the Brainbuster over the knee neckbreaker, more like a straight-instead-of-sideways GTS. I'd buy that as a finishing move.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Is Blood and Guts going to have two rings?

From the sounds of it on Jericho's podcast, it's going to be a traditional, old school War Games match.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Craig H said:

From the sounds of it on Jericho's podcast, it's going to be a traditional, old school War Games match.

Here's hoping they do the spot where Spears gets stuck upside down with his head between the rings as the babyfaces crush his skull by running the ropes. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Here's hoping they do the spot where Spears gets stuck upside down with his head between the rings as the babyfaces crush his skull by running the ropes. 

I swear I thought you were going to say you would be hoping they do the spot where Pillman gets lifted up for a powerbomb and breaks his neck.

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I swear I thought you were going to say you would be hoping they do the spot where Pillman gets lifted up for a powerbomb and breaks his neck.

I remember seeing that when it happened.  Fuck, that was gross.  Who the hell books a powerbomb spot from a 6'7" dude when the cage ceiling isn't even a foot over his head???

• Like 1

The other notable thing from Elevation was that The Acclaimed were on the Paul Wight sitdown interview, and Bowens was discussing his life as a gay athlete and how proud he is to be representing the LGBTQ community. They showed his Attitude magazine cover and a bunch of other things from the gaystream media. Which gives them a big thumbs up in the  "representation matters" department.

Now say it on TV.

• Like 6

I almost feel like I forgot half the things I loved on Elevation but the Bowens part was great stuff.  He's somebody that I would definitely keep an eye on for singles stardom and seems like an awesome guy to be around.

12 hours ago, AxB said:

Random throwaway move that could be a finish: Alex Reynolds did a vertical suplex lift, then dropped them forward like he was doing a Gourdbuster. Only he dropped to one knee and basically did a Skullbreaker out of it. Not like the Brainbuster over the knee neckbreaker, more like a straight-instead-of-sideways GTS. I'd buy that as a finishing move.

That sounds a lot like Taiji Ishimori's Bloody Cross finisher.   He started using that about halfway through his run in Impact.

His first finisher was a lungblower that starts off from the Tombstone Piledriver position.  When Ishimori started using the Bloody Cross, the Tombstone Lungblower became a false finish spot.  Why, I am not sure since both of them look like death sell moves that nobody should be kicking out of by two.

Edited by J.T.

On 4/18/2021 at 10:02 AM, Craig H said:

Oh shit. I didn't even think about Scorp being in Spears' spot. That's a million times better than my suggestion of Ethan Page being in Spears' spot. Plus, you can have Spears ask why not him and have Tully say that he only backs a winner since Scorp won that feud with Spears. 

Spears actually won that, then Sky disappeared from TV until the Revolution ladder match

15 hours ago, The Natural said:

EzXKxioVIAEJYO1?format=jpg&name=large

Can't wait for Blood & Guts. Is it a proper WarGames with Submit or Surrender? Like to think so wanting to do Dusty Rhodes right.

Hope you're okay, @Nice Guy Eddie. Haven't bumped into you for a bit.

@The Natural

I'm ok, thanks. I've been busy with work. My spare time always is split between wrestling and baseball once April starts.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Is Blood and Guts going to have two rings?

Fuck, forgot to ask. Two rings with Submit or Surrender are WarGames musts.

13 hours ago, Craig H said:

Yes!

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

@The Natural

I'm ok, thanks. I've been busy with work. My spare time always is split between wrestling and baseball once April starts.

Glad you're good, @Nice Guy Eddie. Best wishes.

8 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Who the hell powerbombs somebody a second time AFTER that is an even bigger mystery. Then you realize it's Sid. Of course he redid the spot.

Well he did want to re-start a live promo once...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

The Youtube comments on that link say that Sid fucked up the powerbomb on purpose because Pillman was talking shit; is that true?

True story according to him:

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1