DVDVR Message Board

AEW - APR 2021

The Natural

4 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

?? RED ALERT RED ALERT ??

Darby vs Jungle Boy for the TNT title on Dynamite!

Outstanding! 

Am I mistaken, or will this be the 3rd consecutive week the title's been defended on Dynamite? 

Also, if I'm not mistaken, we're getting a Shida defence vs. Tay Conti, Christian vs. Hobbs, and Page vs. Starks! Yikes. That could be a great two hours of pro wrestling.

I wonder if they'll get over 1.2 mill this week. 

So, hey:

I switched out SD cards on my MP3 player this week. The song "Piano Has Been Drinking" comes on. I used to be really into those first few Tom Waits albums. It's on shuffle, and there are a bunch of songs I haven't heard in at least a couple of years, everything from Built to Spill to Deep Purple...

Then the next song is "Ol' 55" and I'm suddenly flat out crying on the train. I don't think I was making a lot of noise or anything, but the tears were just flowing from those first few piano notes. Couldn't stop it. The elderly couple siting near me seemed genuinely concerned. I'm still a wee bit shaken up, although I've been home for more than an hour now. 

Not to be maudlin, but it's nice to know that there are people in the world who will understand what happened there.

Edited by El Gran Gordi
Took the tribute video out. No need for anyone else to cry, unless they want to
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, Casey said:

In response to what the Young Bucks did to Rey Fenix on Dynamite, he's now on Instagram saying he wants the take the Bucks' hair.

Máscara contra Cabellera?

I mean it’s not a transparent or hilarious as gunning for QT’s hair but it’s getting there.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Nick Jackson might as well lose a hair match to some opponent or other, because he's rapidly losing one to the Gods anyway.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

?? RED ALERT RED ALERT ??

Darby vs Jungle Boy for the TNT title on Dynamite!

Shit, they should have announced this on Wednesday right after the match when they had over a million people watching. 

21 hours ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Outstanding! 

Am I mistaken, or will this be the 3rd consecutive week the title's been defended on Dynamite? 

Also, if I'm not mistaken, we're getting a Shida defence vs. Tay Conti, Christian vs. Hobbs, and Page vs. Starks! Yikes. That could be a great two hours of pro wrestling.

I wonder if they'll get over 1.2 mill this week. 

So, hey:

I switched out SD cards on my MP3 player this week. The song "Piano Has Been Drinking" comes on. I used to be really into those first few Tom Waits albums. It's on shuffle, and there are a bunch of songs I haven't heard in at least a couple of years, everything from Built to Spill to Deep Purple...

Then the next song is "Ol' 55" and I'm suddenly flat out crying on the train. I don't think I was making a lot of noise or anything, but the tears were just flowing from those first few piano notes. Couldn't stop it. The elderly couple siting near me seemed genuinely concerned. I'm still a wee bit shaken up, although I've been home for more than an hour now. 

Not to be maudlin, but it's nice to know that there are people in the world who will understand what happened there.

I was listening to the On The Border album, and I forgot the Eagles did a cover of Ol 55 on that record. It got dusty as shit in my office for a few minutes.

Also, a couple pages back I saw some people list Spears as one of the folks AEW could get rid of to make room for new signees. Some of y'all need a reality check. Spears isn't going anywhere. He's involved in the #1 angle on the show right now, and the people making those decisions seem to think he's the Barry Windham of that group. He isn't, he's Kendall on his best day, but they think he is. If Cassie comes to AEW, it'll be with her husband, and that in and of itself is enough to keep him around, even if I think he'll also do some good shit in this Blood n Guts angle.

• Like 2

Oh shit. I didn't even think about Scorp being in Spears' spot. That's a million times better than my suggestion of Ethan Page being in Spears' spot. Plus, you can have Spears ask why not him and have Tully say that he only backs a winner since Scorp won that feud with Spears. 

Scorpio Sky was a very good heel around the time he left PWG, but he mostly worked very small SoCal indies at the time and no one saw a lot of it.  His feud with Brandon Gatson in Empire Wrestling Federation (circa 2008) is one of my favorite small indy feuds.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2021 at 11:02 AM, Craig H said:

Oh shit. I didn't even think about Scorp being in Spears' spot. That's a million times better than my suggestion of Ethan Page being in Spears' spot. Plus, you can have Spears ask why not him and have Tully say that he only backs a winner since Scorp won that feud with Spears. 

Oh definitely.  Page in Spears' spot would be horrible.  That's like having two MJFs in one stable.  Buddy Landell never joined the Horsemen. 

I don't understand Page and Scorpio's pairing.  They cut a promo together about them griping over being underutilized but come on...how can Page (in kayfabe) think he's underutilized after only being around for like a month at the time of the promo?

He's All Ego. It's in his name. I agree though, did not feel earned so he'll have to keep building it up that he's a massive star in his head (but not in reality, which is a strange gimmick to have). 

Oh man, the Konosuke Takeshita match on Elevation was waaaay fun.  Such a great use of the Sydel brothers.   I also loved the Leyla/Mizunami tagteam.  Mizunami needs to put over Nyla Rose after all Rose has given her. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I don't get Austin Gunn beating one of the Factory guys. Or why the Gunn Club have jobs at all, really. Sure, you need bottom-card guys. But what's the point of bottom-card guys who never put anyone over?

Yeah Solow losing to one of the Gunn kids is baffling.