DVDVR Message Board

AEW - APR 2021

The Natural

4 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Nope, he just strikes me as unhappy with how things have gone in AEW. I remember last year, I believe, he made a rather snarky twitter post. It's pretty clear he's not going to be a featured guy beyond getting a match with a name guy once every few months. 

"Janela is unhappy in AEW" is a bizarre talking point that comes up pretty frequently, and yet every time he's made a public statement about it he's said he loves working there (he was open about having emotional issues last year, but that had nothing to do with AEW. It was to do with his relationship status at the time, and he was upset that the pandemic cancellations were screwing up his friends' careers). I think possibly some of the confusion comes from the fact that he's still so involved in GCW, despite being signed elsewhere. 

Ooooh, that would be cool. Yes, please. Joe vs. da big bois of AEW is a big win for everybody. I am pretty much 100% completely oblivious to WWE. Why was he out for so long? What injury did he have and how serious was it? Did Vince just end up Macho Man'ing him?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

"Janela is unhappy in AEW" is a bizarre talking point that comes up pretty frequently, and yet every time he's made a public statement about it he's said he loves working there (he was open about having emotional issues last year, but that had nothing to do with AEW. It was to do with his relationship status at the time, and he was upset that the pandemic cancellations were screwing up his friends' careers). I think possibly some of the confusion comes from the fact that he's still so involved in GCW, despite being signed elsewhere. 

xlmxCsD.jpg

Huh?

From Wikipedia: On February 20, 2020 it was revealed that Joe had suffered yet another injury, hurting his head during a commercial shoot and was not medically cleared to compete. 

I had a nice little post about Janela until Jiji sprung put that tweet up.  I'm guessing/hoping whatever the issue was at the time has long been taken care of but he does add value to the company.  His wrestling's not the best but I like his team with Sonny.  And he also I think is still helping scouting indy talent for them.  So as long as he's happy in some way he'd be somebody worth keeping.  Plus there's the added benefit of some people from there showing up on his shows which helps drum up interest in them.

7 minutes ago, Jiji said:
 am pretty much 100% completely oblivious to WWE. Why was he out for so long? What injury did he have and how serious was it? Did Vince just end up Macho Man'ing him?

More like Daniel Bryan-ing him.  Joe had several injuries while in the WWE, but the last - and presumably most serious - was a concussion suffered about a year ago.  Feb 2020.  Ironically, he somehow suffered a head injury while filming a commercial, not in the ring.

Not sure what the exact circumstances are, but there's been some talk the WWE didn't want to let him wrestle again because of CTE symptoms.  There was a story on a couple websites a month or so ago that Joe wanted back in the ring, so I'm guessing that might explain his release.

With the Blood and Guts match- is it finally a match where the faces should win the coin toss?

I'm at a loss to see where the final entrant on the face side gets the appropriate reaction- don't think anyone is really going to get into Jake Hager getting in there to fuck shit up, and I dont think it works for the story they're telling for it to be Jericho (it sort of does that he's goaded into going first to prove he's still got it and last the whole thing).

On the other hand, Wardlow entering last and being a game changer is a story that can be effectively and effortlessly be told.

• Like 5

Without seeing the video yet there's a lot of awesomeness going on.  The smiling Abadon in the thumbnail, the fact they're trying Oreos, Allie's Youtube Avatar.  Can't wait to see it when my wife comes home.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Without seeing the video yet there's a lot of awesomeness going on.  The smiling Abadon in the thumbnail, the fact they're trying Oreos, Allie's Youtube Avatar.  Can't wait to see it when my wife comes home.

I cannot look at photos of Abadon without her gimmick make up.  It totally kills my immersion.  I'd totally ask ungimmicked Abadon out to the Cinema & Drafthouse once I was certain she wouldn't pull my eyeballs out and eat my brain.

• Like 4

I know Spears had one, but I wanna say they aired videos on Dynamite/Dark/whatever that Janela produced and the last one ended with him picking up Sonny Kiss (or maybe it was the other way around). In any case, all I'm saying is that I think that Janela tweet wasn't a "shoot" tweet or whatever.

Also this one goes out to @John from Cincinnati

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I know Spears had one, but I wanna say they aired videos on Dynamite/Dark/whatever that Janela produced and the last one ended with him picking up Sonny Kiss (or maybe it was the other way around). In any case, all I'm saying is that I think that Janela tweet wasn't a "shoot" tweet or whatever.

Also this one goes out to @John from Cincinnati

I am dumb.  Why has it taken me this long to figure out that Stu Grayson's backbreaker finisher is named after.

batman-knightfall39.jpg?w=584&h=860

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, mystman said:

Hate to be "that guy", but this smells like a work.

I agree but one of those that has maybe a hint of reality. I hope he's fine but he's not wrong that his momentum came to a halt when he signed. I'm not a fan of his beyond his booking GCW shows so I think he's been pushed adequately. 

19 hours ago, Jiji said:

Is Janela going to be the first guy to ask for his release?

Why would he- he has a spot on the card that's fine, he gets to do his own thing, and he's AEW's unofficial chief scout.  He's not going to get more anywhere else.

He's getting to do exactly what he wants in GCW and other indies, while getting paid very well for working midweek bookings, and getting to hang out with his friends Sonny, Jungle and Marko. Why would he leave?

• Like 1

Joey Janela is a natural heel.  He's also far more valuable as a wrestler/manager.  He needs a  Terry Gordy.  And maybe a Buddy Roberts too.  I'm of the belief that his mic skills could be effective in getting somebody on the lower to mid card roster nicely over.  In ring, when necessary, he would be substantially more interesting as a chickenshit heel.