DVDVR Message Board

AEW - APR 2021

The Natural

Ah man, I'm pretty torn on that. Christian is one of my favorites ever, but I think it's still too soon for Omega/Christian. As a matter of fact, personally, I'd hold off on that match until Kenny drops the title and maybe make it a #1 contender affair. Anything sooner is a little TNA for me - YMMV! 

• Like 1

Checking over at cagematch it looks like there are only FOUR matches on Dark tomorrow.  

I hope you guys are happy now!  That robs us of ten to twelve squashes and everyone’s favourite - the competitive squash.  How do you sleep at night?  If this is a sign of things to come then I will miss the Dark that was as engrossing as it was bloated and somewhat aimless.  

it will make Elevation an easier chore on Mondays.

19 minutes ago, Ryan Faulconer said:

Checking over at cagematch...

I see where you made your first mistake lol. Kidding. But Cagematch misses a lot.

As for Dark, how do they know what's on there? Unless someone at the taping messaged them how would they know? AEW doesn't announce what's on Dark until Tuesdays now right, so as to not upstage Elevation. So maybe they're right. But I'd take the over on that bet.

• Like 1

I googled but couldn't turn up any listings for Dark. Here's tonight's Elevation card though -

The Dark Order’s 10 vs. Danny Limelight

– Baron Black vs. Lance Archer (w/Jake “The Snake” Roberts)

– Hangman Page vs. Bill Collier

– Vary Morales vs. Michael Nakazawa

– Matt Hardy vs. The Dark Order’s Alan “5” Angels

– Tesha Price vs. Ryo Mizunami

– Big Swole vs. Jazmin Allure

– Dr. Britt Baker, D.M.D (w/Rebel – Not Reba) vs. Alex Gracia

– Max Caster (w/Anthony Bowens) vs. Colt Cabana (w/Evil Uno)

– Scorpio Sky & Ethan Page vs. Matt & Mike Sydal

I should have listed the four matches that were mentioned on cagematch.  I think they were all matches that were angle related.  

Normally I just wait and  read the f4wonline headlines.  I saw Dark #83 already slotted on cagematch’s AEW events. 

Well, one of these shows should have a format change.  I actually get a little burned out during Elevation.  This is Week 4 and I haven’t seen the final match on any of these first Elevations.  I fell asleep and missed the Sydal/Tony K angle.  I remember seeing Tony K on an older BTE and he had maybe the least stage presence that I have ever seen in AEW or the Indy level.  

My Grandad had Parkinson's disease longer than anyone where I live, 27 years. The neurologist used to tell other patients that to give them encouragement. My Grandad was like a second Dad to me. Go on, Dean Malenko!

Edited by The Natural

9 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

There's a million of those books, so maybe. Spidey's uncle had a pretty famous line about power, so I assume he just got those mixed up. 

I assumed he did it deliberately. It was funny.

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

My Grandad had Parkinson's disease longer than anyone where I live, 27 years. The neurologist used to tell other patients that to give them encouragement. My Grandad was like a second Dad to me. Go on, Dean Malenko!

I had a former coworker who had Parkinson's.  He unfortunately passed away a few years back.  RIP, brother.  Guy was dapper as fuck and could beat anyone in the company at pool even with Parkinson's.  Amazing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I had a former coworker who had Parkinson's.  He unfortunately passed away a few years back.  RIP, brother.  Guy was dapper as fuck and could beat anyone in the company at pool even with Parkinson's.  Amazing.

1929597_10129098861_8684_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1

So sorry, mate. Parkinson's is awful. I was lucky to get a Grandad like mine and because people thought he wouldn't be here when I was born! I was 26 when my Grandad passed in October 2006. Can't believe October 2021 marks 15 years. Like to think I look like Grandad and carry myself the way he did. To have Parkinson's 27 years and his doctor tell other patients how long he had it to give them a pick me up.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 4

Dark is 12 matches, not 4.

Spoiler

Ahead of their highest profile AEW match to date, Bear Country will face The Hybrid2 on Tuesday's edition of Dark.

A fixture on Dark since last December, Bear Bronson and Bear Boulder will take on Jurassic Express Wednesday in a match sponsored by HBO Max in a tie-in with Godzilla vs. Kong. They have been on Dynamite just once, losing an eight-man tag match in which they teamed with the Express against Private Party and The Butcher & The Blade. The two teams had to be pulled apart afterward.

Jurassic Express will also be in action as Luchasaurus and Jungle Boy will go up against Rex Lawless and Dean Alexander.

Six-man tag team matches will again be a featured part of the show as Team Taz (FTW Champion Brian Cage, Ricky Starks and Powerhouse Hobbs) will take on Brick Aldridge, Justin Law and Hayden Backlund while the Dark Order (Evil Uno, Stu Grayson and Alex Reynolds) will face Jake St. Patrick, Sage Scott and Chandler Hopkins.

Ahead of his TNT Title challenge Wednesday against Darby Allin, JD Drake (with Ryan Nemeth) will face Baron Black.

Here's the rest of the 12-match lineup set for 7 PM Eastern on YouTube:

Matt Hardy (w/ HFO) vs. Vary Morales

The Butcher (w/ The Blade, The Bunny and Private Party) vs. Jon Cruz

Sonny Kiss and Joey Janela vs. KC Navarro and Aaron Frye

Sea Stars (Ashley Vox and Delmi Exo) vs. Vertvixen and Jazmin Allure

Matt Sydal (w/ Mike Sydal) vs. Mike Magnum

Ryan Nemeth (w/ JD Drake) vs. Fuego Del Sol (w/ The Vlog Crew of Griff Garrison and Marko Stunt)

Red Velvet and KiLynn King vs. Madi Wrenkowski and Vipress

• Like 1

A couple of those matches were definitely on the list I saw...or maybe it was all a dream. Weird.

I guess this is a world where Michael...or MT Nakazawa gets a new gimmmick and a small winning streak. I hope for our sake that this world is a small one.  

Edited by Ryan Faulconer
Nakazawa~!

Malenko interview posted further up is great. Really down to earth, authentic sounding guy. Sounds like a great voice of reason to have around in early-stage business. Didn't appreciate he was suffering from Parkinson's. Strong man.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 2

Is there a rhyme, reason or mathematical formula for how they rotate the jobber class?  It made sense using mostly Georgia-based talent for an extended period during the early months of the pandemic.  Then there is a group of them female fighters from Thunder Rosa’s promotion.  

They seem to be searching the country with talent coming from all parts of the little neighbour to my south up here.  They are still finding some interesting untested prospects who haven’t yet done more than a match or two on Dark.  Last week Bill Collier, Chandler Hopkins and Rex Lawless foot added as potential for the future. I think they have “discovered” Anna Jay, Red Velvet, Leyla Hirsch,  Abadon, Lee Johnson, Will Hobbs, Shawn Dean, Top Flight, The Acclaim and maybe count Starks, 5 and 10.  I must be forgetting someone else hired because of their Dark work.

I’m not sure how kayfabed the Nightmare Family is.  Are the younger names all really trained by QT or Dustin?  

Speaking of Dustin...If he works with all the inexperienced female workers can he maybe stop teaching everyone the same snapmare/somersault/reverse thrust kick?  EVERY SINGLE female trainee does it...and few do it well!!!

Edited by Ryan Faulconer
I forgot The Captain...and Tenille...just kidding, it was Abadon

5 and 10 (and Anna Jay) were hired on the back of Dynamite matches, at the Nightmare Factory (before it was called that) tapings a year ago. 5 wrestled Kenny in the infamous Too Long Squash match, 10 wrestled Darby in a match everyone has forgotten about, and Anna faced Shida in the "I've never heard of this girl but they should sign her before Vince does/ She's really good looking" match.

Bear Country aren't announced as signed yet, are they? I'm pretty sure they did get hired fulltime a while ago, but they've not done the Bear Country is All Elite thing yet.

Bear Country vs TH2 was a pretty great little Dark tag match. Good "big strong guys vs fast lean guys" structure. Bear Country are my favourite tag team in all of pro wrestling right now. They, and JD Drake, are a nice counterpoint to anyone who thinks that AEW is all cute little flippy guys doing movez. Although, speaking of movez, I flat out love Bear Boulder's fallaway slam/Samoan drop combo.

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 4