DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

1 hour ago, just drew said:

@S.K.o.S.13:57. I thought that was the most challenging one yet. I look forward to those. Is there somewhere you can go to play more of them?

You should be able to just change the number in the URL to see all 7 of them. bit.ly/TD9XPuzzle1, bit.ly/TD9XPuzzle2, etc.  (edit to say that they're also linked in my signature here)

There are only 7 right now.  New ones should continue to come every month!

Edited by S.K.o.S.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The A&E Biography tonight of Roddy Piper is really good and worth checking out.   Lots of good old stuff including an interview with Gene Lebell who I had no idea was still alive and still crazy.  Tons of great stories.   Also it seems that Mr T doesn't hate Piper as much as Piper hated T

Next week is Randy Savage so that should be even better

• Like 2

Apparently Ric Flair is doing commercials for this CarShield whatever it is.  The weird thing is that one of the commercials contains LA Knight/Eli Drake who is currently in NXT and the other contains Peter Avalon who is in AEW.   I assume these were done a good year again when both were in the NWA Power?

1 minute ago, hammerva said:

Apparently Ric Flair is doing commercials for this CarShield whatever it is.  The weird thing is that one of the commercials contains LA Knight/Eli Drake who is currently in NXT and the other contains Peter Avalon who is in AEW.   I assume these were done a good year again when both were in the NWA Power?

That was my assumption as well since Dave Marquez is also in the commercials.

3 hours ago, hammerva said:

I saw the Flair commercial for the first time last week and thought it was exactly the sort of cheesy endorsement I imagined a a flamboyant wrestler 30 years past his prime would do.  If they ever remake The Wrestler, Randy the Ram should definitely try to land a gig with CarShield at some point.

I'm still not sure what CarShield actually is (some sort of insurance plan?) and I've seen the Ice-T CarShield commercial at least a few dozen times.  I think the idea of edgy gangsta rapper Ice-T doing product endorsements and playing a cop on tv for 15 years melts my brain too fast for the point of the commercial to sink in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

I'm still not sure what CarShield actually is (some sort of insurance plan?) and I've seen the Ice-T CarShield commercial at least a few dozen times.  I think the idea of edgy gangsta rapper Ice-T doing product endorsements and playing a cop on tv for 15 years melts my brain too fast for the point of the commercial to sink in.

My Mom (in her 80's) liked Ice-T from the TV cop shows. I happened to find the Ice-T Sex Money Gunz concert on TV. Mom had no idea of his rapping. We watched it together and she was just laughing and gasping at all of the cursing and vulgarity. Mom actually got a kick out of it. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Just seen about Mongo, that fucking sucks. I was curious about how he was doing last year and stumbled across a 2019 interview/history of his importance to the 1985 Chicago Bears, and he'd lost a ton of weight and looked fairly unrecognisable even then, but he was doing seemingly well. The magnitude of his personality and the seemingly godlike esteem he was held in by his ex-colleagues and fans was a hell of a thing. It's an unbelievably cruel reversal for him to be staring down the barrel of such a brutal deterioration

Edit: this was the piece https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bears/ct-bears-100-steve-mcmichael-1985-super-bowl-20190826-cv36vnxv2fgerdzvggtf52xpn4-story.html

Edited by Firebreaker Chip
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

FYI - whatever this was - the Tweet has been deleted

Memory is hazy but I believe it was something about accusing Mark Carrano of having stolen WWE belts hiding under the bed in a guest house, or something like that?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Peck said:

Memory is hazy but I believe it was something about accusing Mark Carrano of having stolen WWE belts hiding under the bed in a guest house, or something like that?

Exactly...tweeted by a supposed xgf of his.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

Just seen about Mongo, that fucking sucks. I was curious about how he was doing last year and stumbled across a 2019 interview/history of his importance to the 1985 Chicago Bears, and he'd lost a ton of weight and looked fairly unrecognisable even then, but he was doing seemingly well. The magnitude of his personality and the seemingly godlike esteem he was held in by his ex-colleagues and fans was a hell of a thing. It's an unbelievably cruel reversal for him to be staring down the barrel of such a brutal deterioration

Edit: this was the piece https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bears/ct-bears-100-steve-mcmichael-1985-super-bowl-20190826-cv36vnxv2fgerdzvggtf52xpn4-story.html

Over the past maybe decade with all these retrospective podcasts and the Network , The Internet wrestling community has really gone back and look on him more fondly. He certainly wasn't the best commentator but I think his enthusiasm made alot of people look past that. He was horrible I'm the ring but I think being apart of the Horsemen was the best possible position for him. Character wise it was a perfect fit and too it made sense to put him in a group with Arn and Ric to help him as much as he possibly could. He's a legit wrestling fan and he probably could have gotten away with doing alot less. If he came along today, he'd probably be a much better wrestler, he wouldn't be  Pat McAfee level good but he'd definitely be better than he was in WCW 

• Like 4

I don't think you could have predicted this ever but my interest for Impact this week is 100X more than it could ever be for Raw.   Raw should be called "SSDW" It's the same shit different week.  Lashley to return and confront Drew. That will get ratings (yawn)   Retribution unmasked vs Braun and Drew  another 5 star classic. 

Meanwhile the curiosity of what Impact is going to do next is fun. Not knowing what to expect is a good thing. Raw is as predictable as the seasons and is probably the worst of the weekly cable wrestling shows going on at the moment.  

10 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Over the past maybe decade with all these retrospective podcasts and the Network , The Internet wrestling community has really gone back and look on him more fondly. He certainly wasn't the best commentator but I think his enthusiasm made alot of people look past that. He was horrible I'm the ring but I think being apart of the Horsemen was the best possible position for him. Character wise it was a perfect fit and too it made sense to put him in a group with Arn and Ric to help him as much as he possibly could. He's a legit wrestling fan and he probably could have gotten away with doing alot less. If he came along today, he'd probably be a much better wrestler, he wouldn't be  Pat McAfee level good but he'd definitely be better than he was in WCW 

Yeah I think my tolerance for OTT daft Booker T-style commentary is higher than most but I always enjoyed Mongo overall. An ex-football player with a huge personality, eccentric charisma and clumsily violent ring work seemed like a logical fit for that kind of wrestling company at that time, as part of a larger cast of characters obviously. He was into the bit and was committed to it all in. I think he was a genuinely decent promo in a kind of (lesser) Piper-ish deranged, ad-libbed intensity sort of way. Like say what you want but you were never bored!

Wonder if I can find the extremely campy Nitro segment of him and Kevin Greene training for their ill-fated (for Kevin) match against the Horsemen without the Network

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

Yeah I think my tolerance for OTT daft Booker T-style commentary is higher than most but I always enjoyed Mongo overall.

Mine too Book reminds me of Don West with his level of enthusiasm which overrides bad commentary to me. I said before I don't really see Vince being as hard on the Wrestlers doing commentary like he would the straight commentators. As a Wrestler I would think you'd want a little of the over the top personality to come out

21 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I said before I don't really see Vince being as hard on the Wrestlers doing commentary like he would the straight commentators. As a Wrestler I would think you'd want a little of the over the top personality to come out

Foley quit commentary because of how Vince was on it. CM Punk straight up turned the sound off on Vince so he could effectively do his job. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 4/26/2021 at 7:44 PM, Firebreaker Chip said:

Yeah it’s a very sad very horrible mind fuck. Almost Unimaginable to think of the fates that would await so many from that late-90s halcyon age. 

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

Foley quit commentary because of how Vince was on it. CM Punk straight up turned the sound off on Vince so he could effectively do his job. 

Wow, I never heard that about Punk. He's seems like a "do it now ask for forgiveness later" type guy. It's hard to picture Vince tearing Punk down verbally especially knowing how Punk is. 

I know about Mick and I know they've had a toxic relationship over the years and I see Vince going off on him. Foley has no problem standing up for himself but I can't picture going off on Vince every week.

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Yoshiaki Yatsu, who lost part of his leg to diabetes in 2019, is going to wrestle for DDT this year and it turns out he can still go even with a prosthetic

Maybe it's the mask, but is that Saito tying up with him there? 

Foley wasn't great on the ECW One Night Stand commentary so it's not like we lost much there.