DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

John Cone is back as Senior Manager for the department working under John Laurinaitis.

As with the last purge and the recent one.. lot of Vince's Yes men are gone with few exceptions remaining.

• Like 1

WWE just unveiled their April International Signings: Sarray, Sanjana George (from India), Jennifer Iglesias (from Mexico), Matt Farrelly and Stephanie De Landre (from Australia). Plus Hideki Suzuki as a trainer.

No Bea Priestly, then. She left Stardom like two weeks ago. To go where?

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

WWE just unveiled their April International Signings: Sarray, Sanjana George (from India), Jennifer Iglesias (from Mexico), Matt Farrelly and Stephanie De Landre (from Australia). Plus Hideki Suzuki as a trainer.

No Bea Priestly, then. She left Stardom like two weeks ago. To go where?

They usually announce the NXT UK signees seperately.  I doubt she's headed for NXT proper just yet.

35 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Sorry, not to belabor this argument but I do want to respond to @Eoae points very briefly. 

Wait so is the argument that the WWE doesnt' put pressure on male and female performers to maintain a certain aesthetic?

Nope.  I'm not naive.  Former employees have said they felt pressured to look a certain way or go to certain lengths to maintain their look.  I'm not in the room for the conversations, but it's probably safe to assume some of that still goes on.

I think the problem with Dave's comments in this specific instance is that Dave didn't bring this up as part of a story.  Unless I missed it, he didn't say that the company asked Charlotte to get surgery or that she felt pressured into it.  He brought up something that had already been reported, then segued into a sidebar about how the image-conscious WWE treats female talent, and left it to us to draw a conclusion.  Fair enough, except that the person he's speculating about is denying the insinuation and seems rather fired up over it.  If Dave reports this as "Sources tell me Vince told Charlotte to get surgery" then it's (tabloid) journalism.   If Dave is speculating that Charlotte is getting surgery because of outside pressure, and he's wrong about that, then it's just some dude with a microphone invading her privacy.  In any case, I don't think Charlotte's medical history is fair game unless she makes it fair game, so we'll have to agree to disagree about that (I feel the same way about male wrestlers.  If Roman Reigns wants to jump Dave over anything Dave has said about his physique or looks, he's well within his rights).

Anyway, time to move on so this is my last comment on this subject.

1 hour ago, D.Z said:

(...)

Khan is restructuring the company towards his more mainstream vision. Hence all the recent CAA people hired, to speak the Hollywood language to grow the company. They also hired more broadcast people with sports backgrounds to help create this more mainstream presentation.

WWE will focus much more on intellectual property like Marvel and DC with crossover appeal, with the superstars and characters and brands.

(...)

I have no idea what any of this means, but I guess translated into English this means to finally "Get the W(restling) Out"? I would have also liked to make a joke like "what buzzwords are next? NFT?" but they already did that.

59 minutes ago, Hagan said:

(...)

Wait so is the argument that the WWE doesnt' put pressure on male and female performers to maintain a certain aesthetic? Dave talks about guys physiques and looks all the time. The only issue he runs into is you can't rationally talk about women's wrestling anymore without people being incredibly sensitive.  

(...)

Dave even said the business is putting the pressure on the people, not WWE. And yes, TV wrestling is a look-based business. If you don't look good or unique, you always will have to fight an uphill battle, no matter your sex. If you are talented enough otherwise, yes, you might succeed anyway, but good (or unique) looking wrestlers will get more changes than ordinary looking ones. And in "TV wrestling" you can strike the "wrestling" part, or even the "TV" part. There have been enough studies that have shown that lot of thing in professional life are heavily effected by looks, and not just race, sex or age. It's sad, yes, but it does not make it any less true.

The last few pages really highlight the importance of and need for more facepaint in modern wrestling. Look at Sting, man - visually speaking, he's like 85-90% the same dude as he's been since '97, just with sleeves. Like, if Abaddon's body holds up, she can probably work til she's in her 60s if she were so inclined

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Right.  I never think Dave has malice.  He just comes across as a guy who's not exactly socially adept or self-aware, and is incredibly literal with everything.  Combine that with the fact that he's 61 and yeah, his discussion of women is not always the most nuanced or sensitive.

Not to condone what he's said in the past but alot of his comments come from what he knows Vince and Kevin Dunn in particular believes a woman should look like in WWE. He knows the pressure Even the Men had to look a certain way. It's wrestling, Entertainment an even if your a higher level Social media influencer. Women feel pressured to look a certain way. I'm a Red Blooded straight American Man, I  can appreciate a nice looking female as much as anyone else but I don't want a whole division of women that look like a '00s Maxim model. The Division is diverse and I like the fact that alot of them aren't going to get boob jobs or whatever.

Being a teen or Young Adult during the whole Piggy James angle taught me alot about cultural preferences of other races. Where I'm from Mickey James would be considered very healthy, in more ways then one. She's an amazing wrestler still.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, bazzil said:

Maybe this belongs in the hot take thread, but i dont see the big deal with the garbage bag stuff. Theyre good bags. Large, durable, waterproof, got the little tie gimmick on the end to close them up. As long as it wasnt pulled out of a dumpster then its just a fucking plastic bag.

The women have a drawer in a shared road case for their makeup so placing it in a garbage bag is probably the safest way to ship it to them.  People acting like they had fucking desks covered in family photos or something.  It's lipstick, double-sided tape, and socks or some shit.

Yeah, could definitely send out a basic banker's box instead of a fucking Hefty... maybe stick to gaining likes from Bunkhouse Buck irony, homie. 

14 minutes ago, BEN! said:

The women have a drawer in a shared road case for their makeup so placing it in a garbage bag is probably the safest way to ship it to them.  People acting like they had fucking desks covered in family photos or something.  It's lipstick, double-sided tape, and socks or some shit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oh shit, now I remember where I've seen the garbage bag routine from.

*in my best Liev Schreiber voice* "On the next episode of WWE Hard Knocks, Raw pares its roster down to the final 53...."

It's fitting cause when I think of a good, quality well ran outfit with integrity, I think of the NFL. Good to see WWE following in their footsteps.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BEN! said:

or some shit.

This phrase keep turning up in one way or another, when these trash bags are mentioned. It's starting to worry me, but at least they fired the guy sending them. Also, can we be sure he didn't actually crap in each of the bags just to be more of an asshole? Maybe leave a note saying "With warm regards, sincerely - Randy Orton"?

...and Odessa beat me to it while I was sleeping! Good job!

Edited by Shartnado
Beaten to a punch...

1. Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin, WrestleMania 13. *****.

2. Owen Hart vs. Bret Hart, WrestleMania X. *****.

3. Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker, In Your House 18: Badd Blood 1997. *****.

4. The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels, WrestleMania XXV. *****.

5. John Cena vs. Daniel Bryan, SummerSlam 2013.

Three honourable mentions:

1. Shawn Michaels vs. Mankind, In Your House 10: Mind Games 1996. *****.

2. Bray Wyatt/Luke Harper/Erick Rowan vs. Dean Ambrose/Roman Reigns/Seth Rollins, Elimination Chamber 2014. *****.

3. John Cena vs. CM Punk, Money in the Bank 2011. *****.

20 minutes ago, The Natural said:

solid list, @The Natural.

not really my top 5, but some of my faves that don't get the same kind of credit:

Randy Orton vs Mick Foley, Backlash 2004

Jake Roberts vs Rick Martel, Blindfold match, WrestleMania 7

Chris Jericho vs Christian, WrestleMania 20

Eddie Guerrero vs Rob Van Dam, Ladder Match, Raw summer 2002

Shawn Michaels vs Kurt Angle, i forget which show it was. Raw Homecoming? Raw 1000? something like that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1