DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

9 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Who is the wrestler I'm thinking of: Late 90s-early 00s Japanese guy, very stiff and kicky offense, used a run-up-the-corner enzuigiri as a finisher, had to stop wrestling because of some kind of brain injury (I think).  Pretty sure he worked Zero-One frequently when they were starting out.  

My brain keeps spitting out Shibata or Mochizuki and those aren't it.

Naohiro Hoshikawa. He's still alive, but the last I saw him he's still really messed up from it.

• Like 1

Just now, Ryan said:

Naohiro Hoshikawa. He's still alive, but the last I saw him he's still really messed up from it.

Thank you, for some reason he popped into my head this morning and I couldn't figure it out.

I recall him being a fun crowbar of a wrestler.

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

To be fair I don't think he meant any harm. I just don't think he really thought about it before saying it.

Right.  I never think Dave has malice.  He just comes across as a guy who's not exactly socially adept or self-aware, and is incredibly literal with everything.  Combine that with the fact that he's 61 and yeah, his discussion of women is not always the most nuanced or sensitive.

• Like 3

It's probably worth noting that we've already spent more time discussing Charlotte's supposed plastic surgery than we've ever spent on John Cena's rumored hair transplant or any other male star's cosmetic surgeries (well, maybe Buff Bagwell's calf implants).  I doubt Dave meant any harm, but this is a repeating pattern with Dave.  On the one hand, he rails against Vince's obsession with youth and looks for the women.  On the other hand, he occasionally comments on female's wrestlers looks, weight, cosmetic surgeries, etc. in such a way as to give the impression he thinks that those topics are fair game for him.  Which I don't think they are.

Another example: Around the time Asuka hit the main roster, Dave brought up her stomach.  When Alvarez called him on it, his defense was something along the lines of "Oh, Asuka's never been ripped, but she has less definition than usual and Vince is going to have a problem with that."  I think he might has actually said "Asuka has a gut", but it's been several years and I don't remember.  I mean, the segment started out as Dave and Bryan discussing an Asuka match, and somehow took a right turn.  Also, Dave never said Vince had an issue.  He brought up something, then got defensive when called on it and used "Well, Vince is probably the one with the hangup" as a defense (it's also silly that anyone thinks Asuka is heavy because she's not extremely ripped like, oh. 0.1 percent of the population, but that's its own kettle of worms).

I've joked before that Dave does a very good impression of a normal human being, but, honestly. I'm not quite joking when I say that.  He can be very awkward and not particularly self-aware when the conversation gets away from in-ring in-ring matters.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

I think its amusing how many are coming to Dave's defense with him falsely saying Charlotte was getting dental work for a complete makeover. He may have a point about the industry and its expectations of women, but it was also also a pretty shitty thing to say without getting any sort of confirmation. That was what set Charlotte off. She seemingly isn't getting any work done and with how people look at her at times and judge her for looks that was some extra unnecessary shit put on her by Dave. 

This is very nitpicky but technically Dave didn't break the story

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/wwes-charlotte-flair-out-action-due-dental-surgery-339426

Charlotte Flair was suspended in storyline after Monday's WWE Raw, but that's not the real reason she is out of action.

TalkSport's Alex McCarthy first reported Tuesday that Flair was having dental surgery which is the reason she is gone, confirmed by Dave Meltzer during Wednesday's Wrestling Observer Radio.

McCarthy said she isn't expected to be out long. Meltzer didn't give any timeline for her return.

But since it was Dave's radio bit that was sent to Charlotte - that what is getting the attention

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

This is very nitpicky but technically Dave didn't break the story

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/wwes-charlotte-flair-out-action-due-dental-surgery-339426

But since it was Dave's radio bit that was sent to Charlotte - that what is getting the attention

I don't think "dental surgery" is the important part of the story.  Dave commented that this was part of a Charlotte makeover, then segued from that into a discussion of how the company puts pressure put on female talent to maintain their looks as they age,.  If I wasn't supposed to conclude that the either the company was either pressuring Charlotte to get surgery or that she's so insecure about her position that she feels she needs to go under the knife, then I have no idea what he was getting at.  

I don't think Charlotte angrily responds or we talk up the story if Dave says "Charlotte is having dental surgery and will be out a short time" then starts talking about Baron Corben or the company's quarterly earnings report.

• Like 3

WWE let go Brian Flinn, who was the Chief Marketing & Communications Officer for WWE, he had been with the company for over nine years. He is now replaced with the Chris Legentil dude I mentioned posts ago.

WWE President Khan said Mexico is a market they want to expand in. Probably just means that new Lucha show for content.

Khan is restructuring the company towards his more mainstream vision. Hence all the recent CAA people hired, to speak the Hollywood language to grow the company. They also hired more broadcast people with sports backgrounds to help create this more mainstream presentation.

WWE will focus much more on intellectual property like Marvel and DC with crossover appeal, with the superstars and characters and brands.

Ongoing restructuring will probably carry on for days and weeks. Khan is reportedly getting paid more than any Mcmahon family members and has been given leeway to do what he wants and much more power.

Edited by D.Z

Sorry, not to belabor this argument but I do want to respond to @Eoae points very briefly. 

Wait so is the argument that the WWE doesnt' put pressure on male and female performers to maintain a certain aesthetic? Dave talks about guys physiques and looks all the time. The only issue he runs into is you can't rationally talk about women's wrestling anymore without people being incredibly sensitive.  

Like the Layla El example - when the company has a history of ageism for decades (and when Mickie James herself brought it up weeks ago) is it sexist for people to mention that the WWE has an issue with ageism? 

It seems to me that what's happening is that Dave mentions ageism and unhealthy pressure to maintain a certain body type that the WWE has fostered for decade and people think he's Bix'ing it by creating an issue that doesn't exist and then criticizing the company for it. 

In reality he's just highlighting the very real issue the company fosters on people. 

I mean, go look at the female performers over the last twenty years and look at how they looked when they are hired versus how the end up looking by the end of their run. Even better look at a lot of performers in NXT versus when they get to the main roster.  Needless to say, there is nothing WRONG with breast implants or facial surgery or anything someone wants to do their body but it's totally naive to think the the company (really the industry) doesn't put pressure on these people to maintain a certain look that is much harder to maintain as they age. 

And that was why I brought up the work example. The general populace doesn't take steroids and undergo plastic surgeries to maintain a certain look to get ahead in their career. Wrestling, though, for decades has. Maybe the industry just attracts people who really love drugs and surgeries but it's more likely that there's unhealthy pressure put on them to BE that way. In fact, we know with the WWE there is. 

And all of that is totally fair game for Meltzer, us, or any other person to talk about.

Edited by Hagan
  • Like 4

John Cone is back as Senior Manager for the department working under John Laurinaitis.

As with the last purge and the recent one.. lot of Vince's Yes men are gone with few exceptions remaining.

• Like 1

WWE just unveiled their April International Signings: Sarray, Sanjana George (from India), Jennifer Iglesias (from Mexico), Matt Farrelly and Stephanie De Landre (from Australia). Plus Hideki Suzuki as a trainer.

No Bea Priestly, then. She left Stardom like two weeks ago. To go where?

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

WWE just unveiled their April International Signings: Sarray, Sanjana George (from India), Jennifer Iglesias (from Mexico), Matt Farrelly and Stephanie De Landre (from Australia). Plus Hideki Suzuki as a trainer.

No Bea Priestly, then. She left Stardom like two weeks ago. To go where?

They usually announce the NXT UK signees seperately.  I doubt she's headed for NXT proper just yet.

35 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Sorry, not to belabor this argument but I do want to respond to @Eoae points very briefly. 

Wait so is the argument that the WWE doesnt' put pressure on male and female performers to maintain a certain aesthetic?

Nope.  I'm not naive.  Former employees have said they felt pressured to look a certain way or go to certain lengths to maintain their look.  I'm not in the room for the conversations, but it's probably safe to assume some of that still goes on.

I think the problem with Dave's comments in this specific instance is that Dave didn't bring this up as part of a story.  Unless I missed it, he didn't say that the company asked Charlotte to get surgery or that she felt pressured into it.  He brought up something that had already been reported, then segued into a sidebar about how the image-conscious WWE treats female talent, and left it to us to draw a conclusion.  Fair enough, except that the person he's speculating about is denying the insinuation and seems rather fired up over it.  If Dave reports this as "Sources tell me Vince told Charlotte to get surgery" then it's (tabloid) journalism.   If Dave is speculating that Charlotte is getting surgery because of outside pressure, and he's wrong about that, then it's just some dude with a microphone invading her privacy.  In any case, I don't think Charlotte's medical history is fair game unless she makes it fair game, so we'll have to agree to disagree about that (I feel the same way about male wrestlers.  If Roman Reigns wants to jump Dave over anything Dave has said about his physique or looks, he's well within his rights).

Anyway, time to move on so this is my last comment on this subject.

1 hour ago, D.Z said:

(...)

Khan is restructuring the company towards his more mainstream vision. Hence all the recent CAA people hired, to speak the Hollywood language to grow the company. They also hired more broadcast people with sports backgrounds to help create this more mainstream presentation.

WWE will focus much more on intellectual property like Marvel and DC with crossover appeal, with the superstars and characters and brands.

(...)

I have no idea what any of this means, but I guess translated into English this means to finally "Get the W(restling) Out"? I would have also liked to make a joke like "what buzzwords are next? NFT?" but they already did that.