DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

14 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

See I’ve had so much fun seeing the good folk of DVDVR take the piss out of that with disgusted reaction gifs to ever truly be upset with it ?

(besides that kind of spot wasn’t born with Richards and didn’t die with his retirement so...)

If the said match would have ended in a double count out after that spot (with both guys knocked out on the floor), would it have been remembered as a cool finish instead?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i have never seen a Davey Richards match. i know him from two things: that GIF, and the "inside a steel Davey Richards" post from gods know how many years ago.

Keep it that way, mate.

I'd like to bring this up:

I joined the DVDVR MB in September 2005, stayed a member ever since. The above is one of my proudest moments here. Can't believe it's five next month. Cool knowing it's a favourite.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

I only posted it because it cracks me up. He did have some good matches but I think his worst instincts are so prevalent that I remember only the excess. The guy blew the American Wolves NXT try out by doing too much.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Spontaneous said:

I only posted it because it cracks me up. He did have some good matches but I think his worst instincts are so prevalent that I remember only the excess. The guy blew the American Wolves NXT try out by doing too much.

Less is more. Wrestlers and bookers should take note.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Shartnado said:

If the said match would have ended in a double count out after that spot (with both guys knocked out on the floor), would it have been remembered as a cool finish instead?

well, I'D remember it that way and argue for it that way because I'm okay with ties (and countouts for that matter).  Some portions of the wrestling watching community do seem to object to those on principle though...

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

i have never seen a Davey Richards match. i know him from two things: that GIF, and the "inside a steel Davey Richards" post from gods know how many years ago.

my favorite thing about that Davey Richards superplex gif is that after all these years and all these times seeing it I have never actually known which one of them is Davey Richards, and I like it better that way.  It's like the end of Animal Farm

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

well, I'D remember it that way and argue for it that way because I'm okay with ties (and countouts for that matter).  Some portions of the wrestling watching community do seem to object to those on principle though...

They way that GIF ends, it would seem like a good and surprising way to end a match. Obviously leading to a no-count outs rematch, later.

• Like 1

This should probably go to some WWE threads, but the individual show threads of last week are closed already. Anyway, Finnish television is apparently giving wrestling a shot, once again. RAW and SD (seemingly these are week old episodes, so much better than the 4 week delay on the Network) are airing 11PM on Friday and Saturday, respectively. One way or another there has been a way to see wrestling on television (cable or satellite dish homes, anyway) in Finland since '87. There's always a few years when it's not on, but it creeps back in, despite the general populations' deep indifference or disdain for it.

The same channel that gave it a chance in 2001 is now giving it a shot in 2021. I would think the fan base has shrunk to much less than what it was when they last decided that it was no longer worth the channels' time. Well, I'll be intrigued to see how long it lasts this time around. I did inform a couple of lapsed fans about it.

• Like 2

This is the WON blurb about the RAW announcing change

The WWE Raw commentary booth will be changing once again as sports broadcaster and personality Adnan Virk is reportedly replacing Tom Phillips as lead commentator starting this Monday.

The news was first reported by Wrestling Inc. and confirmed by Mat Men's Andrew Zarian. Dave Meltzer was unable to confirm as of Saturday night.

Virk has a tie to WWE President Nick Khan as he was Virk's agent when he worked with CAA.

Zarian added that Virk, Corey Graves and Byron Saxton will make up the new Raw announce team. It's unknown if that would mean Samoa Joe would head to SmackDown to replace Graves who is currently on the commentary team with Michael Cole.

The Canadian-born Virk made headlines in 2019 for being fired by ESPN for reportedly leaking information to the media about the company. He has since moved on to work for MLB Network, NHL Network, DAZN, and his own podcast talking about movies that is now part of Dan LeBatard and John Skipper's new media entity.

If the news is accurate, it's unknown what the future will hold for 31-year-old Phillips who has been with WWE since 2012. He has been the lead announcer on Raw, SmackDown, NXT, NXT UK, Superstars and Main Event in his tenure.

This would make the second change in personnel on Raw as Charly Caruso recently departed for ESPN following reports of backstage issues in WWE. She was replaced by Kevin Egan (Kevin Patrick).

• Sad 1