DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

39 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

So is the WWE wanting to do lucha libre all part of Triple H's grand scheme of having an NXT on every continent or is this something else all together?

This is different but not new.

It is the same WWE wants to have a bigger foothold in Mexico than it currently does. It goes back to the interview that Nick Khan interview in the tweet last page.

Khan was on Colin Cowherd's podcast

Appearing on Colin Cowherd's podcast, WWE President Nick Khan commented on the market WWE has its eye on for the future.

"Latin America and specifically Mexico. If you look at the Lucha Libre product, which is the authentic Mexican wrestling style, there are two smaller Mexican promotional companies that exist. I think if we put the WWE effects onto one of those companies and we kept the authenticity -- I'm talking about building our own company, not acquiring either one -- if it had the WWE touch and work ethic, ultimately you can build that marketplace out where you have certain events that are still doing 30 million viewers, things you haven't seen in the United States outside of the Super Bowl in the year. We can still do it on a consistent basis there, if we're on free-to-air, which is their terminology for a broadcast network, and you have the right local superstars. We have a hyper-focus on that region," said Khan.

NXT Mexico legitimately sounds like the most awful idea in wrestling history. Like, even if they hire the best and brightest wrestling minds in lucha and bring over the best talent, everything that makes lucha lucha will die in the WWE system. 

I mean, I don't even get lucha libre and I have tried my hardest. I can't imagine WWE Peacock subscriber tuning in to watch dives to lead to commercial breaks every match.

Edit: okay, so that's not exactly what Hunter suggested but really with the way WWE has run-off the Hispanic fanbase and booked Hispanic stars into oblivion, what's the point?  

Edited by Hagan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Piss jokes aside, this all sounds like some "we have Santino" shit.  For the uninitiated, I believe it may have been Freddie Prinze Jr. who told this story...a WWE writer (Prinze?) was on a plane watching some comedy show on his phone and Vince asked him why he wasn't watching WWE wrestling instead.  The guy told him "I just want to unwind and watch some comedy right now."  Vince's response was, "well we have Santino!"  Like Vince thinks no matter what you like, WWE can fill that role with their own product, no matter how round the hole they trying to fit the square peg into.  I am positive Vince sees actual Lucha and is just so puzzled as to why these Mexican people aren't just watching WWE.  Like what's wrong with them?

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

For all the shit we talk about Davey Richards, I need to tell you that he was in what was legit one of the most exciting matches I ever saw live.  It was at a ROH taping back when they taped everything at the Du Burns Arena in Baltimore (just a half tarped off indoor soccer joint) and he worked Eddie Edwards.  After some build, it was just spot spot spot nearfall nearfall all the way and everybody in the crowd was losing their shit, including the three people with me who were not what you'd call wrestling fans (well, two...my friend's wife was sour as fuck and not into anything but that was not Davey's fault, she's a passive aggressive jerk that way).  The place was loud as fuck and popping for everything.  Faces were melting like Beloc opened the Ark.  Okay, not that much, but still.  It was seriously an exciting match that had the whole place rocking and I've been to a lot of matches including Bruno's last one. 

Oh and I passed him in the hallway on the way to the bathroom that night or at some other taping, I can't remember, and we exchanged cordial "'sup's" and he seemed cool and not a dick. 

So fuck it, I'd like to see some matches from him in 2021.

• Like 2

See I’ve had so much fun seeing the good folk of DVDVR take the piss out of that with disgusted reaction gifs to ever truly be upset with it ?

(besides that kind of spot wasn’t born with Richards and didn’t die with his retirement so...)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

In the new WON - Dave mentions that Bad Bunny moved his HQ to Orlando so he could train Mania fairly regularly. Apparently he is working with Adam Pearce and Drew Gulak.

This isn't the first time I have heard about the WWE having Gulak work with someone that they want to feature.

I am saying this all to ask the question - is Gulak gonna end up being the most underrated signing of the PC era?

Like my knee jerk thought is the only other person I would consider (in the way I am thinking about this in my brain) is Drake Maverick

Does Borash count? 

From the WrestleFactory? 7, I believe? Some of those aren't active wrestlers, like Remsburg or Sara Amato.

EDIT: Orange Cassidy and Drew Gulak are probably their biggest pure success story in-ring wise, but Cesaro is also a "graduate" (despite having been active for 3 or so years prior, and trained by others prior to this - notably Dave Taylor). You could make a case for Amato being their absolute biggest, since she's went on to shape WWE's women's division from the Performance Center. 

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

Davey Richards in 2021 will seem tame compared to some of the stuff that’s on shows nowadays. I can imagine him saying

”5 apron head drop bumps in a match??? Back in my day we did 3 and we were thankful for it, kids these days, don’t even know how to work!”

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If you look at the Lucha Libre product, which is the authentic Mexican wrestling style, there are two smaller Mexican promotional companies that exist. I think if we put the WWE effects onto one of those companies and we kept the authenticity ...

Like Riddle's tweety birds and Braun's choo-choo sound?

• Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 12:07 PM, Hagan said:

All depends on where you are but I agree that things that are popular are going to draw big. Every single NFL game will sell out this year. UFC shattered its ticket sales records.  Things are starting to bounce back in a huge way in the states that are removing the barriers. 

The issue with WWE is their popularity is down and that's why they're probably less eager to pull the trigger. If they thought they could be like UFC and get immediate sellout for big cards, every PPVs would have already been booked into an arena. 

This is what I was thinking about. The WM tickets didn't sell out, right? If they ran some house shows in places that have lax restrictions, would they sell out? Not that they need a sellout to turn a profit but they probably don't want to run half full buildings.

I'm sure someone in the touring department has done some research, and if they're not booking buildings then I'd have to assume it wasn't financially worth it. 

But thinking about how many people actually want to go to shows, I'd say there are less people that want to be in big crowds of course it depends on the state and even the part of said state. I'm vaccinated now and I just started playing sand volleyball this week and masks aren't required to play but are for being inside. I'm also feeling the effects of having COVID after Christmas (running and jumping in sand is testing my cardio way more than on a gym floor) so that sucks.

4 hours ago, Spontaneous said:
  Reveal hidden contents

84272829557fc041b395a2c2ea380858.gif

This used to be a great meme for workers going too far with their recklessness and 'epic' struggle.

Now it's the first spot of every Takeover match in NXT.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Did Dominik Mysterio have any matches prior to his current WWE run?

None that I can find mention of, but it seems possible.  IIRC, he trained for awhile with a local San Diego promotion, then went to Storm's school, them back to San Diego where he trained with Konnan and a couple other guys.  Might be forgetting someone.  He trained for a couple years with a variety of people before showing up at the PC and WWE TV.  Might have been in the ring at some point, but I've never seen any evidence of that.  Cagematch only lists his WWE matches, fwiw.

Also, from what I remember, WWE had said all along it wouldn't be able to resume touring before Fall of 2021 at the earliest, so it's not really surprising they don't have anything scheduled over the summer.

Edited by Eoae