DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

3 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

Plus do we know how much people actually want to see live shows?

Oh, I think there's a lot of demand for that.  I may be wrong, but I feel like it's a vocal minority advocating for continued restrictions.  

In my state, at least, we've even vaccinating 20-somethings already and people are getting increasingly lax.  Lot of community fairs and small live events gearing up to run.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

It's WWE more than likely figuring it's not worth the backlash from external parties and their workers to tour. Plus do we know how much people actually want to see live shows?

Never underestimate human stupidity. 

"Hey let's go to a wrestling show!"

"But Covid cases are on the rise again and...."

"BUT I'M BORRRRRRRED!"

• Like 14

https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2021/4/7/22371206/rumor-roundup-april-7-2021-original-wrestlemania-37-plan-upcoming-wwe-ppv-dates-logan-paul-heat

Davey Richards is close to finalizing a deal to return to pro wrestling with Global Syndicate Wrestling, says PW Insider.

Our collective prayers have been answered!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

IMO I think what Technico said plays into why they're not running outside Florida. From a PR standpoint, it would look bad running other places given financially they really don't have to do it. Second, if something happens (liability waivers or not) especially to the talent, it's gonna be a super bad look.

13 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I say that knowing that Kevin Owens threw a fit about the lack of covid protocols backstage in the beginning + Roman Reigns wanting nothing to do with being around people for months last year. 

Yeah, my (tongue in cheek) point was that they care less about their workers' well being and more about their workers deciding to not show up and/or getting bad publicity.

9 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Never underestimate human stupidity. 

"Hey let's go to a wrestling show!"

"But Covid cases are on the rise again and...."

"BUT I'M BORRRRRRRED!"

I saw a post somewhere where a guy said "I will never call anyone in a horror movie 'stupid' again."  I keep imagining a zombie movie where we react to the zombie outbreak the way we reacted to Covid.  People saying the outbreak is barely worse than the common flu.  The governemnt strongly recommending not leaving the house without a shotgun and people refusing because they don't want to be told what to do.  The president calling the outbreak fake news designed to hurt him.  All that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm actually feeling incredibly anxious about returning to real life. If AEW ran my town tomorrow and TK was giving out the vaccine at the door, I'm still not sure I'd be ready to go. 

On a deeper level, I think our society was handed a golden reset button with this pandemic, and we completely fucked it up. We learned a five day, 40 hour workweek makes no sense. We learned it makes no sense to be herded into disease infected cubicles to do a job you can do from your bedroom. We learned that a UBI might make more sense than we originally thought. We learned shaking hands is silly as shit.

And collectively we went "No thanks! More of the same, please! And by the way, hurry it up!" Just a massive disappoinment on every possible level. We could have taken this thing and changed our world for the better, and we'll (God willing) never have that chance again.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm actually feeling incredibly anxious about returning to real life. If AEW ran my town tomorrow and TK was giving out the vaccine at the door, I'm still not sure I'd be ready to go. 

On a deeper level, I think our society was handed a golden reset button with this pandemic, and we completely fucked it up. We learned a five day, 40 hour workweek makes no sense. We learned it makes no sense to be herded into disease infected cubicles to do a job you can do from your bedroom. We learned that a UBI might make more sense than we originally thought. We learned shaking hands is silly as shit.

And collectively we went "No thanks! More of the same, please! And by the way, hurry it up!" Just a massive disappoinment on every possible level. We could have taken this thing and changed our world for the better, and we'll (God willing) never have that chance again.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

I agree

I had worked remote for 3 yrs and loved it. Then went back into an office setting, smaller with 15 or so ppl and can easily do my job remote.  6 months of remote and now we do hybrid work in office in small group one day, work from home next.  It's wild to see how many people just can't be productive working from home.  People either excel or they do nothing, no common middle.  As someone who works as a recruiter I can also say that remote work has spoiled most of the country and now people will sit and collect unemployment unless they can work from home.  Sadly these people will be SOL once the unemployment wears out but they don't seem to care. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

On a deeper level, I think our society was handed a golden reset button with this pandemic, and we completely fucked it up. We learned a five day, 40 hour workweek makes no sense. We learned it makes no sense to be herded into disease infected cubicles to do a job you can do from your bedroom. We learned that a UBI might make more sense than we originally thought. We learned shaking hands is silly as shit

Interestingly, at one point last year, my (very large) firm gave workers a choice between continuing to work from home or returning to the office and over 97% of employees went back to the office.  In my office, it was 100%.  We had one guy whose worked from home until school went back into session because his wife is an er nurse and works long shifts.  He jokes that the day school resumed was the best day of his life besides his wedding day and birth of his kids.

Maybe it's a generational thing?  I really can't relate to anything you said and really disagree with a lot of it (I like shaking hands and think the pandemic was the opposite of a "golden reset").  Even before the pandemic, I could work from home as much as I wanted, but I rarely did.  Having been forced to work from home for a portion of last year, i can confidently say that I wouldn't do it again unless forced to.  If my firm mandated working from home, well, plenty of other firms would be glad to have me.  I like being in the office and having contact with co-workers.

I feel like the pandemic has widened the generational divide.  Or maybe just aged me prematurely.  I feel like my parents complaining how they don't understand kids today. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The thing about working from home is, it's harder to be the guy who skives off and does nothing, while looking and acting really busy and like they're working super hard. In an office setting, that is piss easy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

The thing about working from home is, it's harder to be the guy who skives off and does nothing, while looking and acting really busy and like they're working super hard. In an office setting, that is piss easy.

Just be like George...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

We could have taken this thing and changed our world for the better, and we'll (God willing) never have that chance again.

Aw, don't you dare be sour. Considering our continuing logging of forested areas and the melting of ice that is holding pathogens that are millennia old, we'll probably get the chance to do this at least one more time in our lifetimes, if not more! 

So chin up, there's always another go at it.

I'm excited to get out, but not to stand in a crowd with a bunch of braying morons yelling shit at wrestlers. I do, however, miss live wrestling. If I could get a booth like heel Michael Cole had, I'd attend a local indy in a second. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Interestingly, at one point last year, my (very large) firm gave workers a choice between continuing to work from home or returning to the office and over 97% of employees went back to the office.  In my office, it was 100%.  We had one guy whose worked from home until school went back into session because his wife is an er nurse and works long shifts.  He jokes that the day school resumed was the best day of his life besides his wedding day and birth of his kids.

Maybe it's a generational thing?  I really can't relate to anything you said and really disagree with a lot of it (I like shaking hands and think the pandemic was the opposite of a "golden reset").  Even before the pandemic, I could work from home as much as I wanted, but I rarely did.  Having been forced to work from home for a portion of last year, i can confidently say that I wouldn't do it again unless forced to.  If my firm mandated working from home, well, plenty of other firms would be glad to have me.  I like being in the office and having contact with co-workers.

I feel like the pandemic has widened the generational divide.  Or maybe just aged me prematurely.  I feel like my parents complaining how they don't understand kids today. 

The pre-pandemic office environment really factors in when people are given the choice of going back or working from home. Almost everyone who works in the main office at the company I work for wants to go back asap, it's one of those "cool" work places, free lunches from local restaurants or hipster food trucks, fun stuff like pool tables and video games, and everyone treats each other with respect. I'm contracted by them to another company and I'm normally in a big office building, there it depends on the department on who wants to go back and who wants to work from home. When things go back to normal I'll most likely be 70% in office and 30% at home, since there's things I have to be in the office for, I think I'll like that balance.

14 hours ago, Eoae said:

Oh, I think there's a lot of demand for that.  I may be wrong, but I feel like it's a vocal minority advocating for continued restrictions.  

In my state, at least, we've even vaccinating 20-somethings already and people are getting increasingly lax.  Lot of community fairs and small live events gearing up to run.

All depends on where you are but I agree that things that are popular are going to draw big. Every single NFL game will sell out this year. UFC shattered its ticket sales records.  Things are starting to bounce back in a huge way in the states that are removing the barriers. 

The issue with WWE is their popularity is down and that's why they're probably less eager to pull the trigger. If they thought they could be like UFC and get immediate sellout for big cards, every PPVs would have already been booked into an arena. 

When AEW first started and was getting all those instant sellouts, WWE were very confused about how they were doing it (when WWE couldn't). But they went from selling out every show, to a "Some tickets still available" graphic on Dark the night before it happened, in like six months. 

4 hours ago, Casey said:

Yes

Possibly.  It's certainly hard to argue with the lengthy list of thorough, well-reasoned counterpoints you presented.  

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Nick Khan discusses certain points of time:

"Ronda is going to be coming back at a certain point in time. Becky Lynch, she just had her first baby, she will be coming back at a certain point in time in the not too distant future. "

Considering that unnecessarily wordy phrasing, are we sure "Nick Khan" isn't just Vince in a really well-done mask, maybe something the Savini team threw together as a fun project during work on the Fiend gear?

Edited by Technico Support

47 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Considering that unnecessarily wordy phrasing, are we sure "Nick Khan" isn't just Vince in a really well-done mask, maybe something the Savini team threw together as a fun project during work on the Fiend gear?

This is the same company that put on the Billy and Chuck wedding angle. We know they have the technology. 

• Like 1

On the returning to office situation, i work on downtown sf. Lots of tech companies are like. Work from home if you want. Less money spent on corp real estate.

My firm is but requiring people back in the office until september currently.  And even when we go back lots of the old working on the office perks are going away.  No more buffet style catering for a while no more big meetings. No more in house haply hours ect.

Once vaccinations are pretty wide spread and I get mine, I'll probably be a little more willing to go into larger gatherings (like, say if AEW were to come to Seattle for Dynamite) as long as I can still wear a mask. If masks start getting banned as vaccines are more available, I won't go out as much. 

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Once vaccinations are pretty wide spread and I get mine, I'll probably be a little more willing to go into larger gatherings (like, say if AEW were to come to Seattle for Dynamite) as long as I can still wear a mask. If masks start getting banned as vaccines are more available, I won't go out as much. 

I think masks are something that are going to be a more regular part of everyday life moving forward, especially for immuno-compromised people and people who don't want to pass along germs when they are sick and especially during flu season. 

• Like 4