DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

I can't see why they wouldn't let people talk as long as they wanted if there's no crowd and it's not being shown live. But those factors may mean people don't feel the need to talk for that long. I can't see the point in them doing it tbh, they'd have been better off moving the HOF to SummerSlam weekend for this year only.

• Like 2

Bea Priestly is leaving Stardom, apparently Japan as well. Wouldn't it be funny if she ended up in NXT UK?

2 hours ago, Infinit said:

Looks who's back on Dynamite this Wednesday night!

How will that work now that Jericho is a babyface. Will they have Tyson side with Pinnacle as a heel or will it be a swerve and Tyson alligns with Jericho?

Is it just me, or is there just no buzz whatsoever for Mania or Mania-adjacent events this week?

You all know how much I hate WWE, but seeing people online admit they can’t muster up as much excitement for Mania as in past years is really sad. On top of that, the bevy of US indies in Tampa this weekend are probably going to lose their asses if GCW’s woes of selling tickets are to be believed. It just feels like the post-pandemic US wrestling scene is just going to be in a really bad way, and it’s very depressing.

As it is I’m probably just gonna watch the IWTV shows that catch my interest and then take a vacation from wrestling. Thinking about how bad things are just makes me sad, and having deleted all my saved matches and Twitter bookmarks in a fit of disillusionment after another Philly-area worker was exposed as a pest severed a tenuous link to wrestling as a whole.

At least I know there won’t really be much of a Philly scene with Chikara dead.

Money in the Bank has been announced as being on May 16

Backlash will be on June 20th

Both will be at the new Thunderdome in Tampa

With both PPVs staying put I am wondering if we are gonna hear an announcement soon about the Thunderdome having fans inside (unless there already was and I missed it)

AEW's much postponed Dynamites in Rochester and Philadelphia are currently scheduled for September iirc. Do you reckon they actually happen then, or get pushed back some more? 

If the UK opens up on schedule this July, will WWE or AEW come over for some shows in August or thereabouts?

8 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Money in the Bank has been announced as being on May 16

Backlash will be on June 20th

Both will be at the new Thunderdome in Tampa

With both PPVs staying put I am wondering if we are gonna hear an announcement soon about the Thunderdome having fans inside (unless there already was and I missed it)

When they announced the move to the Yuengling Center, they apparently announced that fans would not be attending shows.  That could change, I guess, unless forbidden by the venue.

Contract with the new location runs to August.  Betting Vince is hoping to return to touring afterwards.

21 minutes ago, AxB said:

AEW's much postponed Dynamites in Rochester and Philadelphia are currently scheduled for September iirc. Do you reckon they actually happen then, or get pushed back some more? 

If the UK opens up on schedule this July, will WWE or AEW come over for some shows in August or thereabouts?

I think it's too early to say when it comes to AEW. I would assume AEW won't start back touring (meaning outside Daily's Place) until All Out at the earliest. As long as the entire country has different restrictions, I don't expect any traveling.

As for the UK, I don't see AEW doing that until they take care of all the shows they postponed. There are about five or six of those.

They could make a mint just doing a Texas loop. 40k for the Rangers game yesterday. Zero restrictions. I could see Vince salivating over that- whereas Coach Tony is probably a bit more chill about packed houses. 

I bet the driving force with the WWE not allowing fans is the wrestlers wanting to feel safe in their work environment.

4 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I bet the driving force with the WWE not allowing fans is the wrestlers wanting to feel safe in their work environment.

This is a company that let their wrestlers literally be held hostage by a regime that cut a dissident journalist to pieces but okay.  ?

When I think "WWE," I probably don't think "concern for their "independent contractors' well being."

Edited by Technico Support

9 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

with there being 2 years worth of inductions tonight do we get an extra long HOF or do speeches get edited out?  Chances we get an edited and un-edited version on the Network?

Definitely edited and not extra long, unfortunately. Plus Liger, Shatner, and Ozzy not being there and just accepting via video messages, and there's no inductors this year either. the Bellas said they wrote a 15 minute speech but were told it has to be 3-5 minutes so they mostly just thanked people.  My favorite speeches were ones that got to include some fun stories.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

This is a company that let their wrestlers literally be held hostage by a regime that cut a dissident journalist to pieces but okay.  ?

When I think "WWE," I probably don't think "concern for their "independent contractors' well being."

I say that knowing that Kevin Owens threw a fit about the lack of covid protocols backstage in the beginning + Roman Reigns wanting nothing to do with being around people for months last year. 

• Like 2

It's WWE more than likely figuring it's not worth the backlash from external parties and their workers to tour. Plus do we know how much people actually want to see live shows?

It's not like they were selling out before and they've ended up being more profitable by staying put and pumping out shows in one location. The logistics of running shows is a lot and they figure it's probably not worth it at this point.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I say that knowing that Kevin Owens threw a fit about the lack of covid protocols backstage in the beginning + Roman Reigns wanting nothing to do with being around people for months last year. 

IMO I think what Technico said plays into why they're not running outside Florida. From a PR standpoint, it would look bad running other places given financially they really don't have to do it. Second, if something happens (liability waivers or not) especially to the talent, it's gonna be a super bad look.

It'll be hard to draw crowds around the country for a while. Probably easier to just wait until the vaccines are properly distributed and there are no concerns of any outbreaks. Here in Michigan we are going through another surge because people are dumb and insisting we go back to normal activity levels too soon.

One would have to believe that if the WWE is going to do an international show - it would be a Saudi show since they now owe two shows on that never ending deal

And I know Meltzer has said a couple of times that the WWE is currently planning no international shows this year (obvious caveat that things can always change here)

3 hours ago, AxB said:

Presumably if things don’t get worse again we aren’t far away. The governor of California announced today that June 15 is the target for California to be fully open without restrictions. Kevin Kelly tweeted to a reporter if that applied to wrestling as well, who responded with a Daniel Bryan yes gif. Fingers crossed. 

edit: just got my Johnson and Johnson single shot a couple hours ago. Let’s do this people!

Edited by matt925
  • Like 1