DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

2 hours ago, Hector said:

Wow, this Peacock thing is so much worse than I had anticipated. The archival stuff seems to be randomly uploaded, the interface is horrible and everywhere I look I just see ugly ass thumbnails of Edge and The Miz. Fucking awful.

I was hoping for only pre-roll commercials for archived PPVs but no luck there apparently.

17 minutes ago, blitzkrieg said:

I was hoping for only pre-roll commercials for archived PPVs but no luck there apparently.

The combo of no time stamps and the commercials make it especially bad. You start jumping around to find a specific match and you hit a ton of commercials.

• Sad 2

15 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Problem is that IS competition in a traditional sense.

WWE is a duopoly as opposed to a monopoly. You can be happy with all the money coming in. That still doesn't mean being a monopoly isn't a goal. And Vince spent his entire promoting career hoping to be that. 

The problem right now is it's entirely new era where a company like AEW is getting TV money and when fans come back, they're going to be also getting money at the gate and from merch sales. So not only does WWE have several different revenue streams (and more on the way), another company has access to that. Twenty years ago, if the bottom fell out for a wrestling promotion in one single area, that was curtains. On top of that, there was a ton of upheaval at the corporate level WCW had no control over that also help do them in (although I'm of the opinion, once your promotion gets that bad it's hard to defend keeping it alive).

They tried to compete with AEW for young fans. It failed miserably and only exposed that WWE has no feeling for a young audience like that. However, it also showed that WWE has their audience and AEW has an audience that's still blossoming but with slow growth. Two to four years from now, that could all change. Maybe even sooner. However, right now, neither audience is going to interfere with or encroach on the business of the other. 

Moreover, what helped stunt WWF business in 92-97 (the New Generation era) is they were constantly worried about the competition. Again, some of that was Vince being extremely paranoid about being a part of a huge trial that could have brought him down. Another part of that is just an irritational fear that he was slowly being overtaken because his boom period was over. The Billionaire Ted stuff, the Nacho Man, the Hulkster, and all the potshots on commentary etc....none of that shit made money. Matter of fact, it only gave WCW more publicity. The Tony Schiavone line about putting butts in the seats or w/e was only one show. Eric spoiling Raw was only a handful of times. Vince let it be known there was another competitor for several years (again, crazy thing is a few of those years, their business was in the shitter as well), and you could tell it got under his skin. 

Vince now is at the stage of his life where he's much, much closer to the end than the beginning. Plus, he's not the end-all, be-all anymore. He is creatively still, but corporate hierarchy wise, he has to be much more mindful. It's no longer Vince and below him, his trusted and loyal associates which you could count on one hand. The crazy business tactics he would employ 35 years ago (running H2H without consulting the PPV company or trying to make PPV companies pick and choose), he cannot do anymore. Yeah, he can do NXT and AEW on the same night because it's not like USA and TNT aren't competing for the same market space. In addition, it's not like there are a bunch of stars running around that would swing the momentum. He's directly responsible for wrestling having the most talent it's ever had in ring wise, but the fewest stars in the history of the business at one time. Hell, if anything, that's probably why it makes the most sense not to try to directly compete with AEW. It's the only other place where wrestlers can apply their trade and workshop stuff on a level that's at least respectable. Impact, ROH, MLW, and Corgan's NWA are tiers below that. Japan, Mexico, and Europe are all no longer moving foreign talent through like it's the good old days. The indies went through a renaissance, but WWE conducting talent raids along with the emergence of AEW and the current pandemic has probably done a number on that (Speaking Out too). All that stuff exists, but mostly for hardcore fans who live and breathe wrestling.

They need a strong number two to at least keep them honest. And imo, I think WWE is hoping to stimulate interest in wrestling overall. If wrestling was as hot as it was in 98-99, not only would WWE be making all the TV money, but they would get all the money from what comes from having the big live events week after week. That's money they would love to make on top of what they already get now. The rich would love to get richer. Crazy concept, I know.

A year and a half to 2 years ago they were snatching up people from the indies to get them off MLW and keeping them from signing with AEW. AEW has been a threat to WWE. The Jericho thing in my opinion was allowed to create buz about the Peacock deal. I'm still shocked they are allowing Jericho on Austin's pod but honestly they need something as monumental to plug people in. Like the Network as it was and switching to Peacock is more of a disaster for consumers that don't already have it. The got a ton of money which is the end game but I don't see as many people trying to get the network back on a different platform.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

I feel like MJF needs to learn a crazy Lucha wrist submission and call it that.

Any idea what the said manuever could potentially look like? Would it be hard or easy to distinguish from a standard wristlock? Playing on the not knowing one from the other aspect, do you think they would look very similar so it WOULD take some talent to figure out which was which, OR would they look almost nothing alike, so any idiot SHOULD be able to tell them apart? I mean, the joke would work both ways, but the impact would be completely different.

19 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

the best tribute to Vince commentary would be to call every hold "Whatta Maneuver!" and every near fall "one two hegothimnohedidn't"

I'll make sure to throw in a BAAAAAACK Body Drop!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Also, what is the general consensus with the Indy shows.  Are people buying the Collective Remix or IWTV series??  

It was kinda touched upon in the indy thread but apparently the collective isn't selling so great. The Mania weekend indy cards usually had wrestlers from around the world fly in. The cards are just not interesting and the collective they ran last year had issues with COVID-19 precautions not being followed.

That said, I'm thinking I'll watch Bloodsport since Moxley-Barnett has piqued my interest.

4 minutes ago, Spontaneous said:

It was kinda touched upon in the indy thread but apparently the collective isn't selling so great. The Mania weekend indy cards usually had wrestlers from around the world fly in. The cards are just not interesting and the collective they ran last year had issues with COVID-19 precautions not being followed.

That said, I'm thinking I'll watch Bloodsport since Moxley-Barnett has piqued my interest.

that was what I noticed but didn't want to come out and say it. When you have so many shows in a 3-4 day window it really is showing how limited the current indy pool is.  Like you mentioned this year is severely lacking with international talent which with Covid is understandable. Also $130+ for the package on Fite is pretty high.  

I know a few people who worked the fall collective and were extremely pissed about how they handled things. They won't be working these shows.

AIW having a weekly show on IWTV is very intriguing to me and something to keep an eye on. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eoae said:

No idea if this is a legit account, but it’s still funny.

Yeah that's the real Luger. DDP, Bischoff, Nikita and others interact with that account pretty regularly and Bischoff has talked about speaking to Lex on the phone every now and then has referenced Luger's tweets from the account.

• Thanks 1

WrestleMania is BACK IN BUSINESS this Saturday and Sunday!

So Cameo and the WWE® are getting in the ring together to get you up close and virtual with personalized videos from these WWE® Superstars.

From April 5th to April 9th WWE® Superstars like Daniel Bryan, Alexa Bliss, Randy Orton, Bianca Belair and Seth Rollins are completing Cameos for the first 15 requests. So don’t waste any time and request today! Don’t forget WrestleMania is LIVE on Peacock in the US and WWE Network elsewhere on April 10th and 11th!

Request a Cameo NOW

https://on.cameo.com/wrestlemania/

Fourteen of Shane's fifteen cameos are still available. That'll be $500, thanks. 

On 4/4/2021 at 8:46 PM, D.Z said:

WWE will stay at the Yuengling Centre up to Aug the 3rd,  live fans will not be permitted to attend episodes of Raw, SmackDown or pay-per-views.

I like how WWE is like that guy who got kicked out of his place, and just goes from couch to couch every couple of months, because they're not doing anything different to better themselves.

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

https://on.cameo.com/wrestlemania/

Fourteen of Shane's fifteen cameos are still available. That'll be $500, thanks. 

The funny part to me is, why are they limiting them to just 15, or 20, or 25? What else are they doing? Its the easiest money, just say "all orders will be taken through 4/6" and if Alexa Bliss has to cut 100 promos at $400 a pop I am sure she'd manage.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

The funny part to me is, why are they limiting them to just 15, or 20, or 25? What else are they doing? Its the easiest money, just say "all orders will be taken through 4/6" and if Alexa Bliss has to cut 100 promos at $400 a pop I am sure she'd manage.

From the looks of it, alot of them aren't selling well, even with a limit of 15.

30 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

but, but Mania is in Florida, I am sure she is spending every minute at Disney World living her fantasy