DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2021 - Top Half

Dolfan in NYC

ESPN and MLB extended rights deal through 2028

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31440137/espn-mlb-announce-seven-year-extension-running-2028

Just the weekly Sunday night game, the Little League Classic, and up to 8 other games (if they don't expand the wild card games).

Now, call me a pessimist, but with the guarantee of rights fees in the owner's pockets, the urge to lockout the players next year to make up the money they "lost" in the pandemic (or more accurately, didn't earn) will probably grow.

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Gleyber Torres has tested positive for COVID for the 2nd time in less than a year.

He is the first player of the Yanks 8 positives.

All 8 are asymptomatic and all are fully vaccinated. The CDC is now involved along with the NY Dept of Health as they are trying to figure out what the fuck is going on. (Reportedly all the Yanks got the J&J shot and there is some talk of either a bad batch of vaccines or... well... more data against the J&J shot)

To me, that sounds like the vaccine is working.  All along, they told us the vaccine doesn't mean you don't get it or can't spread it but that you don't get sick if you do get it.  That's exactly what's happening.

• Like 3

On 5/13/2021 at 10:34 PM, Tabe said:

To me, that sounds like the vaccine is working.  All along, they told us the vaccine doesn't mean you don't get it or can't spread it but that you don't get sick if you do get it.  That's exactly what's happening.

And that's what "health experts" are saying too:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/the-yankees-covid-19-outbreak-shows-vaccines-work-health-experts-say/ar-BB1gKdbj?li=BBnb7Kz

Since this is baseball related I am putting it here

Pretty much if you are an old American who currently isn't playing for a team - you are being asked to be on the US Olympic team

Reportedly the following players will be on the squad (managed by Mike Scioscia)

• David Robertson
  • Todd Frazier (who just got DFAed by the Pirates last week)
  • Matt Wieters
  • Brad Brach
  • Edwin Jackson
  • Homer Bailey

Ryan Braun has been asked by both the US and Israel but he has turned both down

6 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

Just Reported on MLB Network Albert Pujols signs with the Dodgers for the reminder of the Season Reported by LA Times Jorge Castillo. 

To do what?  NL doesn't have DH's, and he's not a better 1B than Muncy.

That's a lot of money for a situational PH eating a roster space, especially when his beef with LAA was lack of playing time. But then again I don't GM a MLB team.

Edited by Raziel

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

The Yanks scored 4 runs in the Top of the 1st

The Orioles outscored them 10-1 the rest of the game

I guess I shouldn't be so mad about the Jays going up 8-0 and almost losing lol

59 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Was real worried Harper was about to pull some hero shit there. 

You and me both!

So glad the bats are hot...the bullpen is being held together by duct tape and good intentions lol

And how good is Vladdy looking??? 

• Like 1

Spencer Turnbull throws this season's 5th(!) no-hitter as Detroit beats Seattle.   It's the 7th week of the season.  

It's also the 2nd no-hitter against Seattle in as many weeks. The sound you just heard was @James F'n X throwing himself into the Puget.  

(Also, I'm guessing whatever MLB did to the ball this year is going to be undone by June.)

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Spencer Turnbull throws this season's 5th(!) no-hitter as Detroit beats Seattle.   It's the 7th week of the season.  

It's also the 2nd no-hitter against Seattle in as many weeks. The sound you just heard was @James F'n X throwing himself into the Puget.  

(Also, I'm guessing whatever MLB did to the ball this year is going to be undone by June.)

I'm so glad I'm not invested in baseball anymore. After what the Mariners front office did during the offseason to kill any goodwill the team could have possibly gotten from the Dorktown documentary...

I hope they get no hit again in May. If you're gonna be bad, be historically bad.

Chris Davis - who hasn't played yet this season due to a bad back - will miss the rest of the season due to hip surgery

Just further cementing the worst contract ever handed out in MLB history

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Chris Davis - who hasn't played yet this season due to a bad back - will miss the rest of the season due to hip surgery

I'm trying to figure out if Bonilla's is worse, as there's another 15 years on it.  but that's only like, $1.37M.  Davis is getting $17M.

Regarding the no hitter, my friend who is an official scorer for MLB told me there's a bet there for what there will be more of - No hitters or Tim Anderson BB.

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

I'm trying to figure out if Bonilla's is worse, as there's another 15 years on it.  but that's only like, $1.37M.  Davis is getting $17M.

Davis's is way worse.  Waaaaaaaaay more money than Bobby's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

With that announcement, his WAR for the season actually went up.

• Haha 4

I believe* that Chris Davis is the only player in baseball history - at least since 1901 - to have three seasons of 100+ games while hitting under .200.  How remarkable and awful is that accomplishment?  Bill Bergen, holder of the all-time lowest lifetime batting average (.170!), never accomplished that feat.  In 13 seasons in the major leagues, Davis has hit under .200 five times - 38.4% of the time.

* - Baseballreference.com's season lookup thing is hating me right now and not letting me find guys who hit under .200.  All I know is that Davis did something that Bill Bergen and Ray Oyler never managed to do.