DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2021 - Top Half

Dolfan in NYC

edit: damnit beat to it by like 30 seconds.  

I mean ... I have absolutely hated watching him lumber around for the last decade, but I've kind of loved hating it.

Edited by CSC

Boy the really have an overinflated sense of their chances this year if they weren't willing to let Pujols play out the last year of his contract

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

John Means has thrown the 10th no hitter in Orioles history

First game in history where the only baserunner reached on a dropped 3rd strike.

Where does he think he's going to go to get more playing time?

I could see a token contract with the Cardinals if they were terrible, but they're going to be in a battle in the Central all year long.  Anywhere else he's just a ticket-selling sideshow in a year where stadiums aren't being sold to 100% capacity anyway.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Okay - update. Pujols has an overinflated sense of how good he is now

They've got Walsh at 1B and Ohtani at DH. There just isn't a spot for him anymore.

This makes me think of that story during spring training about how Pujols lied about his age:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/former-mlb-exec-albert-pujols-age/1munpjji15ukb1w1jj1o05kjhc

eddie-murphy-4.jpg

"One time Andrelton Simmons came in here. I said 'Andrelton, you play with Albert Pujols. Just between you and me how old is he really?' You know what he said? Albert Pujols 137 years old!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Apparently the decision to bench Pujols came from ownership and not Joe Maddon

Which might also give an insight into Joe Maddon's time having past

Wade Miley threw the season's 4th no hitter

This is the earliest in a calendar year there have been four no-hitters since 1917, when the fourth was thrown on May 5 and the fifth on May 6, and only the second season overall in MLB history to have four no-hitters before the end of May, according to ESPN Stats & Information research.

And this isn't counting Madison Bumgarner's 7 inning no hitter

The record for most no hitters in a season is 7 (modern era)

I'll believe it when I see the Austin A's first pitch. 

(EDIT - Passan says the A's want $12B (lol) for the new mixed use stadium.  Also if they move, the preferred destination is Las Vegas.)

• Like 1

Unless I'm mistaken, the A's only asked the city of Oakland for $855 million in infrastructure improvements for the area.  The $12 billion figure is what the A's are saying they'll invest between building the stadium and surrounding area(housing, shopping, restaurants, etc.), though the term sheet only requires the stadium to be built.

The full context of that quote is 

"We're a couple players away from getting there," Tingler said. "Will we get there? I don't know at the end of the day. I think we're optimistic. We're just a couple guys short. The one thing with the protocols and things like that -- it's a clear competitive advantage to get to that 85%. Our guys are educated, we're educating them on it. That's where we are."

The reason Tingler is saying that is because Jurickson Profar and Jorge Mateo were deemed close contacts and thus "must quarantine for seven days, test negative on Day 5 or later and remain asymptomatic throughout." to be eligible for return. Teams at the 85% threshold don't need to quarantine close contacts (if they are asymptomatic)

9 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'll believe it when I see the Austin A's first pitch. 

(EDIT - Passan says the A's want $12B (lol) for the new mixed use stadium.  Also if they move, the preferred destination is Las Vegas.)

I hope the city refuses to give them a dime.  Let them go somewhere else and lie to a different city about the economic impact and amount they'll spend.

• Like 1

Gleyber Torres has tested positive for COVID for the 2nd time in less than a year.

He is the first player of the Yanks 8 positives.

All 8 are asymptomatic and all are fully vaccinated. The CDC is now involved along with the NY Dept of Health as they are trying to figure out what the fuck is going on. (Reportedly all the Yanks got the J&J shot and there is some talk of either a bad batch of vaccines or... well... more data against the J&J shot)