DVDVR Message Board

Your wrestling HOT TAKES

A.M.B.

On 4/24/2021 at 10:58 AM, AxB said:

My Hot Take is that the reason Koko B Ware named his version of the Brainbuster the Ghostbuster NOT because he was trying to capitalise on the popularity of the movie Ghostbusters, but because he knew that the two most high profile previous wrestlers who used the Brainbuster were both in the KKK. And KKK people in the robes look like ghosts innit?

Who were the two in the KKK?

Steve "Mongo" McMichael was not a bad horseman, Flair and Arn going out and getting a big, rough, tough, ex-football player as back up made sense. Now I think putting the US title on him was a  mistake, he would have been better used as an outside the ring enforcer and in multi-man tags 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Steve "Mongo" McMichael was not a bad horseman, Flair and Arn going out and getting a big, rough, tough, ex-football player as back up made sense. Now I think putting the US title on him was a  mistake, he would have been better used as an outside the ring enforcer and in multi-man tags 

It was just 25 days, paid off the Jarrett stuff to a degree and then put heat on anti-Horseman Hennig on the way out.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Matt D said:

It was just 25 days, paid off the Jarrett stuff to a degree and then put heat on anti-Horseman Hennig on the way out.

IIRC, his title win got a huge pop too. I haven't watched that match in a while but I remember the crowd going banana when Mongo won.

Also, whose bright idea was it to give an untrained football player the Tombstone Piledriver as a finish?

• Like 1

I always thought Sid was a worse fit in the Horsemen than Mongo was.  For that matter, I think Dean and Benoit were worse fits, personality-wise.  Mongo is/was a charismatic guy who liked to talk and fit the Horsemen's "We do what we want.  We work hard, then we play harder" ethos.  Sid didn't and fairly grim, humorless Iceman Malenko and Benoit didn't either.  I also never really thought those three had a lot of chemistry with Flair.

I don't think it's that much of a hot take, but my mildly warn take is that Wyndham should have been the last Horsemen.  Creative was out of fresh ideas for the group by then, and most of the members after that were bad fits for one reason or another.

Edited by Eoae
typos
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, zendragon said:

Man is Mongo being a good horseman a hot take? We all loved Mongo, right? I think the anti-Mongo crowd is the same early 00's IWC that hated on Sid and shit. Mongo was universally awesome. 

• Like 4

If Mongo hadn’t hurt Regal he wouldn’t get any flack. Whoever decided to make the piledriver the finishing move of a not professional wrestler is who needs to be roasted. 

Sid wasn’t a bad horsemen either but of course he also had a certain real life incident that hurt his legacy, especially concerning the Horsemen.

Chris and Dean were perfect Horsemen. What they didn’t have in common with Flair they had in common with Arn, which was a characteristic of the early Horsemen that everybody forgot with all the Horsemen that came after a bunch of young hot heads. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

Chris and Dean were perfect Horsemen. What they didn’t have in common with Flair they had in common with Arn, which was a characteristic of the early Horsemen that everybody forgot with all the Horsemen that came after a bunch of young hot heads. 

I'm fine with one gruff physical dude in the group a la Ole, but either Benoit or Malenko would have been better replaced with a smarmy shithead like Tully. That iteration of the group didn't have a Tully. 

Honestly, Mongo had some reasonable Tully vibes character-wise. He had the annoying valet and was solid with his shit-talking.

3 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I'm fine with one gruff physical dude in the group a la Ole, but either Benoit or Malenko would have been better replaced with a smarmy shithead like Tully. That iteration of the group didn't have a Tully. 

Honestly, Mongo had some reasonable Tully vibes character-wise. He had the annoying valet and was solid with his shit-talking.

Jarrett could've been that smarmy shithead 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Jarrett could've been that smarmy shithead 

Absolutely, but they already had Mongo for that. Feuding Jarrett and Mongo over who got to be the smarmy shithead in the group was not the best use of Jarrett!

A 4H with Arn in the JJ Dillon role works, but I do think that one of the people in Benoit or Malenko's roles needed to also be a talker to replace Arn in that spot. That iteration of the group somehow both had Arn Anderson in it and was missing an Arn Anderson. ? 

• Haha 1

Alex Wright. 

Flair stripping down to his boxers, throwing his gators into the crowd, and dropping elbows onto his Rolex while Alex awkwardly does the Das Wunderkind dance in the background would have been over.

Could have also been a fresh take on the Tully/Flair Starscream/Megatron relationship that Tully was a genuine alternate leader, whereas Alex Wright was deluded enough into thinking that he was, which is sort of what they did with Jarrett anyway.

Edited by GuerrillaMonsoon
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, AxB said:

Should have hung on to Pillman, really.

Pillman as Tully, but going to absolute extremes to abuse the power he had as someone with overwhelming numbers in any beef was pretty great in 1995. 

• Like 2

Jeff Jarrett is the most boring, unfun, untough, unanything a wrestler is supposed to be. I never got people’s obsession with him besides him sticking up Vince for $$$. He was able to be a Horseman and pretend to be Kerry Von Erich in Texas before he even stuck Vince though. There are good wrestlers who don’t even get to do that much. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2021 at 11:29 PM, BloodyChamp said:

Booker T was so good for a guy his size that people forget how huge he was.

Wrestling is strange, because Booker T is a legitimately large man who is billed as something realistic for his size which makes him actually seem smaller.  Then you have guys like Adam Cole, who are billed so unrealistically they seem smaller.  They should either always lie or never lie, because it's really not helping anyone.

• Like 3

On 4/23/2021 at 8:58 PM, AxB said:

My Hot Take is that the reason Koko B Ware named his version of the Brainbuster the Ghostbuster NOT because he was trying to capitalise on the popularity of the movie Ghostbusters, but because he knew that the two most high profile previous wrestlers who used the Brainbuster were both in the KKK. And KKK people in the robes look like ghosts innit?

No justice 'til JR references Koko on Dynamite.

Edited by Technico Support

On 4/25/2021 at 4:36 AM, odessasteps said:

Murdoch and Kox. 

(Don't know if Jimmy Garvin is/was) 

Kox was Jewish, he used the KKK initials specifically to fuck with them.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Jeff Jarrett is the most boring, unfun, untough, unanything a wrestler is supposed to be. I never got people’s obsession with him besides him sticking up Vince for $$$. He was able to be a Horseman and pretend to be Kerry Von Erich in Texas before he even stuck Vince though. There are good wrestlers who don’t even get to do that much. 

I still maintain that Jarrett's best role is as a somewhat-sympathetic face. The problem is that he only worked in that role in Memphis and TNA for a short while. 

He's got to be one of the worst heels I've ever seen in extended runs within big companies, though. 

On 4/25/2021 at 7:52 AM, zendragon said:

You know who is really the underappreciated Horseman?  Paul Roma.

Obviously they didn't get along with the guy and the personalities didn't fit behind the scenes but the Pretty Wonderful tag team could have been slotted right into the Horsemen with no problems along Ric and Arn and it would have worked perfectly thematically. Roma is totally the self absorbed jerk and could have 'played the Tully' in that set. None of them should have been faces while trying to put the Horsemen back together. 

This is always the issue with Fantasy Booking, you can never account for the outside personalities. 

• Like 2