DVDVR Message Board

Your wrestling HOT TAKES

A.M.B.

The best American born wrestler of this century is Bryan Danielson, which isn't controversial. The second best is Eddie Kingston, which probably is controversial.

Rick Martel is the best babyface in North American wrestling history, at least that we have footage of. He was incredible in AWA.

Lex Luger was a better worker then Curt Hennig ever was, and Hennig is probably a good answer to the question of "Most carryable wrestler ever who could never be the best guy in a great match"

Some of the mini's from the 70's and 80's were legit great wrestlers and some of the best talents of that generation. Specifically Little Tokyo and Cowboy Lang were awesome talents then when given the chance to actually work I could see pull off 4 star matches if given a serious chance to work 15-20. 

There was a time in 06-08 when the best working heel in wrestling was Lacey, by a pretty wide margin. A friend of mine called her "Female Nick Bockwinkel" for her Shimmer work before she retired. A legitimately incredible talent.

• Like 3

My hot take:

Modern wrestling sucks.  Meltzer convinced a generation that moves and aping 90's Japan was Great.  Omega is the single most overrated wrestler in history.  Wrestling fans are the most entitled fans on the planet,  even beating out sci-fi fans.  The ability for wrestling fans to cry and tantrum when shit doesn't work exactly their way is as bad to wrestling as the move monkeys that want every match to be epics with 20 2.9 kickouts and moves that mean literally nothing to the match, they just look cool.

• Like 11

Stunning Steve Austin>  Stone Cold Steve Austin and it isn't even close.  

Regal Vs Daniel Bryan would be $$$ why hasn't it happened?

Adam Page could have such a bigger story. We hear about Brit being a dentist but nothing about Adam being a school teacher.  at least he was.   Use this for an angle. Put the beer down for the kids, horrible role model for your students, etc.   I mean the angle is right there to be used. 

Austin Aires is the biggest POS in all of wrestling. My mind on this probably will not be changed. I don't know that I ever saw a worker as universally disliked by both fans and wrestlers in a very long time. 

The Million Dollar Dream done by Ted> any form of the sleeper hold ever.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

They had time before that though. 

You were asking in present tense. Beyond that it did happen.

skip to around 23 minutes in

Edit: Also forgot, but a quick check shows they fought during the first season of NXT as well. Want to say they fought when Bryan was still in the indies and did the occasional Velocity match as well though I can't recall for sure.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

I don't think they ever did a Velocity match. As far as I can tell, it was an episode of NXT, RAW and Superstars. On the house show circuit - especially foreign shows - they wrestled at least a dozen times.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, just drew said:

nXt has been unwatchable since Undisputed Era became the focal point of the show. It's become this pretentious mix of everything wrong with pro wrestling in 2021. I despise it with every fibre of my being.

The first year Jon Moxley was in AEW I thought he was legitimately the best wrestler over 200 lbs. on the planet. I still think he's really fucking good, but it seems like now that he feels like he's proved that he isn't the goofy dipshit they wanted him to play in WWE he's gotten a little complacent. He's still the best English-speaking promo on Earth, and I only issue the caveat because I don't speak any other languages well enough to know if Japanese guys or Spanish speaking guys are cutting good promos. 

Kenny Omega ruins every segment he's on with his pretentious aura and his business exposing work. The tap dancing, the gesticulations and gyrations, and the faux-epic garbage garbaging up his matches. It's all awful. I also believe he's the reason AEW's ratings have slid since Mox dropped the title.

Sasha Banks is painfully overrated. She still isn't a good worker and she's propped up by a rabid online fanbase that slap down any criticism of her in-ring performances. I'd go so far as to say she's the weakest of the Horsewomen in-ring. 

Alexa Bliss is nXt's greatest success story to this point.

Cody Rhodes would be better served not trying to be a brand ambassador and instead getting back to whatever it was that gave us those "un-goddamn-deniable" promos. His program with Jericho was legitimately fantastic and he should be doing more serious shit like that.

AEW's women's division is closing in on WWE for second-best women's division in wrestling (Impact). Getting Statlander back puts them in the ballpark. Thunder Rosa signing full time, and she will, eventually, would inch them within a car length or two. WWE's women's division as a whole is stagnant and stretched way too thin over two brands.

Seth Rollins is actively bad at every aspect of his job.

Replace Sasha with Bayley and I agree, with all of these (except for the Kenny one, I like him)

HOT TAKE: AEW is good and the matches are the right length. Whereas American Wrestling from the 70s and 80s was, by and large, a pile of shit.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Rick Martel is the best babyface in North American wrestling history, at least that we have footage of. He was incredible in AWA.

And he’s 1 of the nicest people who ever lived

Lex Luger was a better worker then Curt Hennig ever was, and Hennig is probably a good answer to the question of "Most carryable wrestler ever who could never be the best guy in a great match"

Now that is a hot take lol and I’m a huge Luger fan

Some of the mini's from the 70's and 80's were legit great wrestlers and some of the best talents of that generation. Specifically Little Tokyo and Cowboy Lang were awesome talents then when given the chance to actually work I could see pull off 4 star matches if given a serious chance to work 15-20. 

Now we’re burning lol

Re: Steve Austin stuff. I’m probably giving him to much credit and this is probably just a coincidence but his punches did suck, which is what made them great! He punched like a to drunk to fight redneck in a bar who was trying to act tough while also trying not to knock over his beer. Those short little punches with no shoulder thrown into them are just like a soused redneck who got mad about nothing and started swinging at nothing lol! The only inconsistency is that when the drunk redneck missed the first time in real life, even without putting his shoulder into it, it was enough to send him falling to the ground lol!

Stunning Steve the gimmick was the same ole boring stuff and Steve trying to mat wrestle in WCW was really freaking bad.

8 hours ago, killsteve said:

Who's better (or worse) - Kenny Omega or Davey Richards?

spidermanpointingatspiderman.jpg

I've always been puzzled by people who have lauded Omega while deriding guys like Richards and the US indy style in general. Omega is one of these Richards-type guys coupled with DX era Shawn Michaels' goofy ass overselling.

Back to the point...

Daniel Bryan > Bryan Danielson. I enjoyed his indy work plenty and he had tons of great matches, but he didn't develop a personality until his WWE run.

13 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

This is an interesting take.

EDIT: so I thought about it and even stuff that's borderline like the Doink matches are debatable because Borne was really good in 93. The Piper vs Perfect matches which are some of his best in WWF are because of Piper, so on those nights, he was better. If we're talking about "better performance in a great match," then something (and frankly the ONLY thing) that comes to mind is Hansen vs Hennig, where my memory is that Hennig really makes it work.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Raziel said:

My hot take:

Modern wrestling sucks.  Meltzer convinced a generation that moves and aping 90's Japan was Great.  Omega is the single most overrated wrestler in history.  Wrestling fans are the most entitled fans on the planet,  even beating out sci-fi fans.  The ability for wrestling fans to cry and tantrum when shit doesn't work exactly their way is as bad to wrestling as the move monkeys that want every match to be epics with 20 2.9 kickouts and moves that mean literally nothing to the match, they just look cool.

You know what's the worst? 

It's those entitled grandpa wrestling fans who constantly complain that modern pro wrestling sucks and call current wrestlers "move monkeys" ? 

• Like 1