DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite (3/31/21)

I know like me, most of the fathers on this board have stepped on a fucking lego or builder blox at six in the morning while heading toward the toilet for the first piss of the day.  Legos on the floor are no joke.  I have nearly killed my kid many times over that shit.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

The powerbomb from the ring to the ramp from Comoroto to (I'm drawing a blank sadly), was absolutely sick.  Dude hovered, then dropped fast and bounced.  Probably one of my favorite moments of the night

Edit: Lee Johnson

Edited by StuntmanCrowley
  • Like 3

Signing Christian might be the smartest decision this company could make. He wrestles so intelligently.  I went into that match knowing Kaz would not win but the layout of the match and Christian's selling was so on-point.  I totally bought the Flux Capacitor as the finish.  If he can coach up the youngsters they have in the locker room, then the sky's the limit for that roster.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Thank you kindly.  Just some existential bullshit I was going through that was messing with my head at the time.  But it's amazing what a trip to the gym does as it cleared my head and helped for a battle plan of sorts.

You're welcome. Glad the fog's lifted.

9 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I know like me, most of the fathers on this board have stepped on a fucking lego or builder blox at six in the morning while heading toward the toilet for the first piss of the day.  Legos on the floor are no joke.  I have nearly killed my kid many times over that shit.

I'm no Dad but I've known that feeling. Damn plastics of pain!

Edited by The Natural
  • Haha 1

I fucking love this show. It is easily my favorite tv show period. They shot so many good stories and angles that it makes my head spin. Somehow, someway, they got me to give a shit about QT and the rest of that jobber crew. 

Before I talk about the opening match, I want to address the "WWE-lite" stuff. I have rarely looked at AEW as WWE lite. This entire episode was an example of that. In WWE, you are limited to one style and it's the rote WWE style. With this, we had a similar WWE style match that actually stood out because it's so much different that all of the other styles. Christian looked pretty good, if a little tired at times. Honestly, the thing that bugs me the most about Christian is the amount of tanner he had on. Holy shit.

You had a psychology fueled match between Cody and QT that lead to a really good angle between QT's new faction and the Nightmare family. I'll tell you this...The side that has Nick Comoroto on it is the side that's winning. The thing that felt most uncomfortable was Red Velvet basically being Brandi's stand in. 

Then you have a wild, exciting match between nu-Death Triangle and the Bullet Club. Shock of shocks, Gallows looked really fucking good. I know Karl can be pretty good when motivated and Kenny is almost always good, but Gallows looked great. Also, it feels redundant to say Death Triangle looked great, but they did. They almost always do. Penta in tag matches is better than in singles because it cuts down on the amount of taunt spamming he does.

You have the main event that is just a wild brawl where Miro looks like a fucking monster. And no joke, my hopes going in was that we would see Kris, Trent, or Sue return. When they showed the crane game, I thought for sure that that's where they would replicate the OC spot from the legendary Best Friends/Ortiz and Santana street fight. I figured it would be Trent in there for the sillyness of Trent popping out of stuffed animals, but it was Kris Buttlander! YES! And then! And then! TRENT AND SUE BOTH RETURNED!!! FUUUUUUUUUUUCK YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!! I was pumping my fists like fucking crazy during those bits. The Best Friends are the kings of the main event gimmick match. God, please, just please, give Chuck and Trent a run with the tag titles at some point this year. 

Plus, we got an ultra hot angle where the Inner Circle returned, outsmarted the heels, and completely fucked up Pinnacle. Am I alone in hoping that what happened with Spears was their way of writing him out? Dax and Ortiz nearly replicating the Tully and Magnum wooden spike spot IN THE SAME ROOM WITH TULLY was...mwah...fucking artwork. 

PRO WRESTLING, MOTHERFUCKERS

• Like 10

AEW has the best hoss division. I've said it before and I'll say it many times, but if there's anything to come from partnering with NJPW, please let it be Ishii coming in and having all out fights with the AEW hosses.

Ishii vs Comoroto, Ishii vs Hobbs, Ishii vs Archer, hell, fuck it, Ishii vs Bononi if only because Cezar looks so awkward that Ishii kicking his ass would be a good paycheck for Cezar and it would look funny as hell.

I don't think anybody has mentioned that Laredo Kid did the fucking craziest tope of 2021 last night.  I swear he came like two inches from crushing his skull.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Craig H said:

AEW has the best hoss division. I've said it before and I'll say it many times, but if there's anything to come from partnering with NJPW, please let it be Ishii coming in and having all out fights with the AEW hosses.

Ishii vs Comoroto, Ishii vs Hobbs, Ishii vs Archer, hell, fuck it, Ishii vs Bononi if only because Cezar looks so awkward that Ishii kicking his ass would be a good paycheck for Cezar and it would look funny as hell.

So many of us have said that they need to run the Brodie Lee Memorial Hoss Tourney, that there's no way Coach Tony K hasn't considered it (given his general alignment with the DVDVR ethos).

Wardlow, Cage, Hobbs, Hager, Comoroto, Butcher, Luchasaurus, Archer

10 minute time limits or you're both out, to reinforce the need to not fuck around and start slapping meat

• Like 3

Christian vs. Kaz was the world's best scoop of vanilla ice cream. I instantly remembered that Christian's run as ECW champ and through the Orton feud is one of my favorite runs ever. He's supplanted Dustin as the guy that I want every younger roster member to go 10 minutes on TV with. I'm going to write "use Ricky Starks to transition the TNT Title from Darby to Christian" on a little piece of paper, fold it up, and give it to the fanciest-dressed man who works in a church because God needs to hear my idea.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Am I alone in hoping that what happened with Spears was their way of writing him out?

Based on what happened with everyone else, you'd be more likely to have Dax written out since he got juice and then a broken table piece to the face, and all that happened to Spears was... a door slammed gently on him.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Kris Buttlander

I'm sure that auto-correct struck but thanks for the laugh, dude.

And I watched the main event again which was great because I loved it so much more this go-around.  Everything went as it should be with the lovable goofs riding high.  I'm hoping by fall they'll have the tag titles  and maybe we can get Kris/Britt for the title this year as well.  Yes, that does mean I see Britt with it which I hope happens at Double or Nothing.  I also am looking forward to Miro obliterating Kip for some time much to my amusement and I say that as somebody that likes Kip and Penelope.

36 minutes ago, Craig H said:

No, not an autocorrect. Just referring to her by what Silver and Reynolds call her. 

Sorry, didn't know they said that.  Still funny though.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm sure that auto-correct struck but thanks for the laugh, dude.

If your phone autocorrects Stat to Butt then I really don't want to know about your search history.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Gotta watch BTE!

I do and now remember them saying that.  But it's been so long since they said it that I just completely forgot.  Guess it was a line that didn't stick with me for some reason.

Maybe Khan could sign Godzilla to AEW? 

Obvious info but:
Next week's Wednesday will be the last rating wars night.  Dynamite won most of the nights in viewership so AEW won the rating wars in the end.

Edited by D.Z

46 minutes ago, D.Z said:

Maybe Khan could sign Godzilla to AEW? 

I'll sign for nothing less than 3 million a year and I'm Canadian so that's a bargain

• Haha 2

That ending was such a feel good moment. I wasn’t sure about “Where is my mind?” As OC’s new song but I was completely sold on it as it played over the lovable faces standing tall.

The shows have been on a roll with these main events lately feeling so different from one another. Rosa-Britt, Darby-Silver, Arcade Carnage. It’s just so fun to watch week to week.

• Like 6