DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite (3/31/21)

2 minutes ago, EVA said:

If there’s one thing I’ve learned over the past several years, it’s that wrestlers with significant concussion histories fucking LOVE to sell like they just got another one.  I mean, they just really, perversely enjoy that.

"Alright, we're gonna go to the top rope and struggle for a moment and then you're gonna headbutt the shit out of me."

1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

Tell us how you really feel tho...

Man, I've got a brand. I've gotta uphold my end of the bargain. 

I thought this show was really good. Cage didn't look like he'd been inactive for seven years. It looked like he'd taken the summer off. Pretty good.

I'm about half in the bag so I don't remember everything that happened. Mrs. Drew and el hijo de Drew  are out of town, so I'm obliterating Silver Bullets.  The Mox promo was money, but that's nothing new. He's the best promo in North America, if not the solar system, so it's to be expected. Cezar Bononi isn't "it," but his personal situation is heartbreaking and I hope the best for him. 

Team Tazz promo was what it needed to be.

The Pinnacle/Inner Circle thing was dope as hell to me. I popped HARD for MJF just closing the bathroom door after he opened it and saw the Inner Circle guys. I'm a sucker for delayed reactions for stuff like that. Made me laugh a lot. I still wonder if they'd go Stadium Stampede for IC/Pinnacle and save Blood & Guts for another angle.

The QT thing was cool. They picked the right guys for his faction for sure. I'm a big faction guy and I think it's smart to feature several of them when you have a roster as expansive as AEW's.

Fuck Kenny Omega. I know he thinks he's being entertaining with his heel schtick, but he's actively repelling people from watching him. It's funny that with all the talented folks in nXt, that it's Kenny that seems to get the most people to switch to the USA network. Omega is TRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH. When Don Callis was on commentary, he talked about how "there hasn't been a wrestler that could do all the things that Kenny can do" and I guarantee that the list I made in my head isn't what the Jackyl had in mind.

Dug the women's tag. I wonder if NWA starting back up has effected Thunder Rosa's availability. 

The main event was cool AF. I'm a big Statlander fan, so her return popped me, and the Trent return was cool, even though I'm 100% team Mabian. 

This show set up a ton of good shit. It's pretty cool that there's at least one wrestling company in America that gives a shit about putting on a quality weekly show.

Edited by just drew
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

"Alright, we're gonna go to the top rope and struggle for a moment and then you're gonna headbutt the shit out of me."

It was the clear the headbutt was nowhere near his head.  That was as safe as it could be,to the point it didn't look all that sensical (not that I"m complaining given the circumstances)

I was so expecting the Bucks to superkick Mox there.

Edited by alstein

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

I'm so glad Tony cut off JR's "Oh my gawd, not lego" bullshit. Tony pulled off one of his best performances to date during that match because he's a nerd and a dad in the '90s. Bless him.

Tony selling the legos like death is the voice of a man that knows the truth.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Within: Dax's cut, w/ blood + stitches.

Hide contents

tenor.gif

I can't believe they brought that level of violence in a pre-taped brawl. These dudes are hungry.

• Like 4

One of the trends that warms my heart is for staunch in-ring defenders of Kenny Omega like Joe Lanza of Voices of Wrestling admitting that maybe Kenny Omega is the anti-draw (even if it is just women and Cornette stans for now.)

But somebody wake me when Arn Anderson turns on Cody as that’s the one heel that makes sense.

Edited by cubbymark

Until tonight’s full turn by Mr. QT I actually started to think that Cody was going to turn.  QT & Comoroto going together looked possible from the moment Comoroto joined the true Darkest Order - The Nightmare Family.  Four wrestlers going heel really brings the group down to a more acceptable babyface stable size.  

I hope they didn’t add the Gunn Club that far ahead in order to pad Cody’s team for a hypothetical War Games down the road.  That would be terrible.  QT/Solow/Agogo/Comoroto vs Cody/Dustin/Johnson/Gunn Club quota is a revolting idea for a two ring caged blowoff.  The goal is to just run QT’n’Pals vs Dustin/Johnson/Gunns Quota to get everyone besides Dustin, QT and Billy more XP.  Cody would stop in every so often and for the final CodyQT barbed wire bull rope match.  Until then it sounds like a decent feud to organize some guys with potential matches for many weeks to come.

I can’t believe I am actually excited for Trent’s return.  Trent seemed like someone designed for tags.  I have never been too interested in Chucky T.  He is part of the reason I stopped buying PWG in 2017.  
A tag division with a healthy Best Friends is preferable to what we have had during Trent’s absence though.  It dragged down Orange Cassidy and distracted his character’s journey in AEW.  Thank Gawd this feud is over finally.  

Arcade Anarchy wasn’t as good as the brawl with P&P.  It was sufficiently wild and violent and that is good enough for the blowoff.  Statlander is a welcome return.  She has had bad luck until now.  Perhaps an Orange & Alien pairing will give them some direction.  

I SO don't wanna see the Bucks turn on Moxley next week, but I'm afraid I don't have a choice. if it gets Gallows off my screen and back to impact, it'll be worth it. He's a big dude, but he's got that X-Pac heat with me. Anderson and Gallows' career peak was on Southpaw Championship Wrestling. They have the charisma of a piece of gravel from your driveway. They were never good in NJPW, either. 

Feels like AEW flies by lately. Better than struggling to finish Raw with a DVR working overtime like a few years ago.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jiji said:

I'm so glad Tony cut off JR's "Oh my gawd, not lego" bullshit. Tony pulled off one of his best performances to date during that match because he's a nerd and a dad in the '90s. Bless him.

Tony had a great line to the effect of, "I'm having flashbacks to the 90s with a houseful of annoying brats", parent of the year, Tony Schiavone! Arcade Anarchy was great, big smiles here for all of it. Love unhinged Miro shouting, "Charles! Charles!" and Trent looked main event ready in returning. 

They actually got me interested in something QT Marshall is doing, kudos! Felt for Ogogo with the cuff though. Nice call back going hard on Big Shotty though! 

Nice opener, but Christian needs a better finisher, the Kill switch looks like crap in setup, real suspension of belief required. 

Trios match was a banger, Rey looked dope as hell in both his denim jacket and the soccer jersey! 

Could Dark Order v HFO be in line for Blood & Guts treatment too??? 

Edited by Fighting a man with a perm
Forgot to mention, white vests really are perfect for showing blood - Santana looked king-size in his!

About Omega... Last week viewers dropped about 67,000 after his match ended, and increased for the later quarter he was in by ~38,000, then dropped ~23,000 for the next quarter without him again.

I'm not seeing how he's sending people to USA?

Anyway, that Christian/Kaz match was great, and I love this company.

• Like 1

Also, I forgot, but it’s worth noting; I saw @Stuttsyuse an expression on Twitter once about Alexa Bliss looking “hotter than doughnut grease.” Penelope Ford had it all going last night, and she looked, in fact, hotter than doughnut grease. It’s crazy how poor a job wwe’s makeup department does for as long as they’ve been in the business. Sorry. I know we aren’t supposed to objectify, and I truly don’t mean to. I guess I’m trying to say that when it’s noticeable how much better the competition is doing at an aspect of your product that you’re supposed to prioritize, it’s a problem.

Never thought I'd hear Garth Marenghi's Darkplace quoted as Wrestling commentary, but Excalibur came through for us.

• Like 4

I love this company as well.  

This show was really good to great from top to bottom.

It’s been a good long while since I’ve actually looked forward to seeing a wrestling show week to week.  Prior to this, I was all about the Takeovers spaced out over weeks and months.  It was an awesome run of shows.  But now I hardly have time for NXT.  

Good times.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Casey said:

I’m shocked they actually called them Legos. I expect AEW to get a cease and desist any day now, and then the Young Bucks to make another shirt out of it.

Speaking of - Statlander’s new shirt is great and will surely please the boomers on this board.

I am confused what would they be called except Legos?  I mean maybe there are other brands of those things but none that is relatable like Legos

Every babyface is standing tall in AEW right now off the back of last night. Makes me wonder how the other shoe might drop next week. 

Maybe it’s a bad analogy, but AEW is so much better at putting hope and joy at the core of their presentation than WWE is. The difference in the shows having a ‘soul’ is like the MCU vs. WWE’s DC.

• Like 6

So personal stuff going on last night put me in a rather Debbie Downer-like mood even during the episode (nothing too serious, was just hard to get personally excited for awesome things)  But the last few minutes with Trent and Kris's returns plus the ending shots of the group hug/thumbs up to Trent's mom finally put that damn smile on my face.  It was just so dare I say wholesome and wonderful that it's really, really hard to not get the warm and fuzzies seeing that play out.

And the rest of the show was really good.  Might not have had as much amazing wrestling as last week but everything made sense and I agree that they've had a killer month of shows.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

So personal stuff going on last night put me in a rather Debbie Downer-like mood even during the episode (nothing too serious, was just hard to get personally excited for awesome things)  But the last few minutes with Trent and Kris's returns plus the ending shots of the group hug/thumbs up to Trent's mom finally put that damn smile on my face.  It was just so dare I say wholesome and wonderful that it's really, really hard to not get the warm and fuzzies seeing that play out.

And the rest of the show was really good.  Might not have had as much amazing wrestling as last week but everything made sense and I agree that they've had a killer month of shows.

Best wishes, buddy!

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Best wishes, buddy!

Thank you kindly.  Just some existential bullshit I was going through that was messing with my head at the time.  But it's amazing what a trip to the gym does as it cleared my head and helped for a battle plan of sorts.

Oh, and one minor nitpick but I'm not sure what the end goal is supposed to be with Matt Jackson.  All this talk about them not being Elite makes me think they're gonna turn heel.  On the one hand it's kind of expected and lame if they do.  But at the same time they've been going on <2 years as faces so if we get super-cocky heel Bucks again I might be up for that.  The only thing is since this is focused on Matt and not Nick then I hope they're not teasing some kind of split.  I know Nick is pretty grand as a single but this is not how I want to get there if he does it on a regular basis.

• Like 1