DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite (24th March 2021).

The Natural

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Do Christian and Kazarian have some long, storied history I don't know about?  Note: I didn't watch TNA

Not long, no. They had a memorable couple weeks where Kaz was the upstart babyface trying to break into the main event scene, and he and Christian worked well together. Almost fifteen years ago. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Oh damn I neglected to mention Pinnacle's 80's VCR looking titantron.

Oh, man did I love everything about that.  Has that old school vibe which I adore and credit to whoever did the theme that kinda sorta sounded like the Horsemen.  If not for Spears I would love the group a lot more but I'll wait and see how being part of this benefits him.

• Like 2

That show just breezed by. I've said it before but the fact that storylines don't exist in vacuums in AEW fills my heart with joy. 

That main rocked, loved it all except for the weird Sting coming to even the odds when those loveable goofs at ringside were only offering encouragement to John, there was no shenanigans! 

Hell yeah to a Kenny Omega - Brandon Cutler mini feud, "give me the mic" ?

No clue what that QT Cody segment was meant to make me feel other than apathy, Cody exists in this weird parallel universe and I don't like it. 

Roll on Arcade Anarchy, hope we'll get to hear OCs new entrance tune - love that choice, great work Tony! 

• Like 3

I will say that I'm not a fan of Cody's storylines outside of chasing the TNT title or holding it, but the dude always ends those storylines well.

This one though? QT and Cody? I don't give a fuck about QT and his failed hair plugs. Dude may be a good teacher and trainer, but he's such a milquetoast motherfucker on screen.

BTW, Alvarez brought this up regarding Nyla vs Tay, but he said that most of the time he'll think that a certain person should win and then they do. In this case it was thinking Tay should win and I thought the same thing. Lo and behold, she did. FWIW, on WOR they were saying that Dustin is the one training the women.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

This one though? QT and Cody? I don't give a fuck about QT and his failed hair plugs. Dude may be a good teacher and trainer, but he's such a milquetoast motherfucker on screen.

It's amazing that they're wasting a Zbyszko/Sammartino angle on QT Marshall. 

BTW I just checked and both guys are the same age (35).  Amazing. 

11 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Apologies, I'm gonna quote you just so I can bounce some ideas off you. Not trying to change your mind or anything. There's just been some stuff on my mind re: Omega and company, and you're normally a good sounding board with a firm grasp of his appeal. 

You say it seems like whatever he does people will complain. Does that feed into him actually being an effective heel? Like, you say whatever he does people will complain, but I was quite complimentary of his match tonight. I have a lot of complimentary things to say about a lot of his matches. And yet I find his personality repellent. And he's one of the few people in wrestling right now whose forward-facing persona generates extreme reactions of this variety. Why complain about people's complaints when you should be building the case that he's a secretly great heel with the wrestling audience that exists today and anyone who's triggered is being expertly worked? He's a guy whose matches I often find compelling and who figures into most of my dream match scenarios for this company. And yet his personality offends me. Instead of bemoaning how much people complain, shouldn't you as a fan of his recognize what remarkable work he's doing? I don't want to make your whole case for you, but I know what lives in my heart: I know this is an argument with merit. 

Re: big-picture storytelling, someone can explain the plot of a show to me in a way where he arc of the thing makes complete sense and I can still find myself not enjoying most episodes of said plot. Even if Kenny's a master of the big stuff, which you profess, week-to-week reception matters in this format. And the details matter. I think this is playing out in Hangman's booking. I know people can explain the overall arc to me in a way that makes complete sense. But I'm not invested week-to-week, the details aren't always 100% clear to the majority of their audience (sorry BTE people, only a fraction of the American TV audience could give a fuck), and I doubt most people find themselves more invested now than they were a year ago -- Even though the big picture is there and the arc would make sense if you were to explain it. There are shortcomings to overemphasizing big-picture storytelling if you can't make people care week-to-week.

Anyway, now I defer to BTE viewers: Are the Bucks really stand-ins for Ibushi in a redemption arc? If so, we're a ways from it in my estimation. Where is this going in the short term? Neither of the Bucks are challenging for the world belt, and I doubt Kenny is belt-collecting the tag titles. So does the Matt/Hangman parallel shit that people were posting from the last episode finally lead to people firmly picking sides? Is Kenny/Good Brothers vs Hangman/Bucks where we're headed, with the destination being Kenny vs Page for the belt? Please...? At least let me get compelling wrestling out of this even if I find the storytelling outlandish! 

If we do get Omega vs Ibush for both belts, I'll only be happy it's happening because you want it so bad. Otherwise, *shrug* Good read on Darby's virtues, BTW.

There's not much I can do to convince you to like Omega's act. Right now he's an out of his mind, delusional, and manipulated egomaniac. If you don't like the melodrama, there's no argument I'm aware of that will allow you to do so. He's a weird person. Most/all famous people put on masks to survive in the public eye but I feel like he only really lets himself loose around his closest allies, like the Bucks. Do I think he's in some sort of meta working the 2021 marks mode? I don't know. He receives so much shit that it may be a part of it. I don't know how he'd avoid it being part of his character work entirely when he's inundated with it, even if it's at a subconscious level. He's mentioned the hate he receives and the criticisms he was faced in year one of AEW in promos on TV. Anyway, all I know is at the end of the day, nobody has engrossed me more at the emotional level in pro wrestling than Kenny's heavyweight run in NJPW. He and Ibushi had grown men and women crying. The Okada series was the climax of a style that blended the AJPW four pillars violence, psychology, and growth with the NJPW junior explosiveness. NJPW hasn't been the same since his last match with Okada imo and while I think his in-ring work isn't lacking in AEW, that sort of emotional depth isn't there because it needs context that a new company would always struggle to provide. They tried with the Bucks tag match and the match was legit one of the best tag matches I've ever seen, but the Bucks in particular struggled to convey real emotions. Matt tries (too much) and Nick is just really bad and he knows it so he doesn't really show much beyond signs of being disappointed with people. Nick "AWE C'MON!" Jackson.

And yeah, the real main event redemption arc right now is Hangmin. But I feel like for his story to hold water, he basically needs to be completely redeemed before he wins the title. He's already pretty close with the Dark Order stuff, which is why I find your repulsion of it so funny. It's a massively key part to Adam's story. The title should represent not his redemption or his struggles but that he is at peace with who he is, how he got there, and with whom he's surrounded by. He shouldn't need a prop or external vindication to feel complete. He needs to enter that match with Omega with no doubt that it's his time and that he's surpassed his rival. Like Stone Cold at Mania 14. It's a passing of the torch moment and the organic storytelling that a new company like AEW CAN provide. If they sell it to us like he needs the title to prove to himself that he belongs, his self-doubts about being a loser and all that shit would be, you know, true and when he loses the title by hook or crook he will not have a leg to stand on as a badass super face, which he should be and which they've been grooming him for since the start of the promotion. It's awesome, deep, long-term storytelling that is a sign of the ways in which wrestling has evolved in a great way imo. Hangman took what Kenny did in NJPW and put his own spin on it.

Graphics guy is on point | All Elite Wrestling (AEW) | Know Your Meme

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I think what aggravates me most is that Penta vs Cody was one and done. They did it for 2 weeks with one week Penta calling out Cody and the 2nd week with Penta losing, and now they're onto QT vs Cody?

WHY?!?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

QT joining Penta and co. Da Death Quadrangle bb.

That would make it a Death Pentagon with Penta, Fenix, Laredo, Pac, and, ugh, QT.

I hate that Death Triangle has been so snakebit. That should have been a premiere faction and trios group and they've had the rug pulled out from under them by COVID and now Pac's injury.

On 3/24/2021 at 10:26 AM, El Gran Gordi said:

The Haters Guide to Enjoying AEW Dynamite (24th March 2021)

– Trios Match: FTR & Shawn Spears (w/ Tully Blanchard) Vs. Varsity Blonds & Dante Martin of Top Flight

This is a total layup. A gimme. Whatever happens in the match, complain about Shawn Spears being involved. 

– Nyla Rose (w/ Vickie Guerrero) Vs. Tay Conti

If Nyla wins, complain that she should have put over Conti because Conti needs the win more than Nyla does. If Conti wins, complain that they aren't booking Nyla like a proper monster.

– Trios Match: AEW World Tag Team Champions The Young Bucks & Brandon Cutler Vs. The Lucha Brothers & Laredo Kid

Man, the Lucha Brothers are just treading water. They need to use them better. The EVPs need to stop putting themselves over. Or: How are AEW ever going to be the #1 promotion in the world if they are afraid to book their top guys like ture (super)stars? Also complain about Cutler being involved, obviously. And also that they are just bringing in Laredo Kid and expecting us to all know who he is when obviously no-one has ever heard of the guy before now.

– TNT Championship Match: Darby Allin (c) Vs. John Silver (w/ Dark Order)

I suppose you could try and complain that they have killed John Silver's heat and we are all going to lose interest in him now that he has been shown to be a hopeless loser? Nah. Probably better off pretending that you enjoyed this one. Too many cool kids like both of these guys right now.

Oh! Oh! Does John Silver's record justify a title match? Is the open challenge unfair to wrestlers with better records? You could maybe have a go at that! And that could lead nicely into:

– AEW World Championship Eliminator: Kenny Omega (w/ Don Callis) Vs. Matt Sydal (w/ Mike Sydal)

What the hell man?! Wins and losses are supposed to mean something in AEW! Why and how is Matt Sydal getting a shot at earning a title match? You should be mad about this already.

Absolutely everybody on these boards loves Kenny Omega unreservedly so there is nothing to complain about there, obviously. 

?

"This is awesome!!!"  Love to see this become a weekly fixture.  

Also, I may be in the minority but I am very much looking forward to the underrated QT v the generally excellent Cody Rhodes.  Haters heads r bout to explode!  This was a nice subtle build.  I love that Arn is always on heel turn watch.  I am doubtful he's turning on Cody to join QT! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

AEW World Championship Eliminator: Kenny Omega (w/ Don Callis) Vs. Matt Sydal (w/ Mike Sydal)

Not sure why they bother with the Eliminator stuff when it could just be a non title match? This felt long to me like they could have ended it with the weird corner spot and a quick finish rather than teasing out the match another couple of back-and-forth.  The poison rana being the go-to counter to the One Winged Angel has now gotten old with this being the third one in television matches since the heel turn. Sometimes, you can just beat the low card guy. 

Adam Page Vs. Cezar 

Quick and relatively painless. Hit finish, go home. Page should get another angle quickly against someone after blowing off the Matt Hardy stuff. I'd be in for moving him to Miro after the Cassidy angle.

Trios Match: FTR & Shawn Spears (w/ Tully Blanchard) Vs. Varsity Blonds & Dante Martin of Top Flight

Never has a hair style made me so damn annoyed than Shawn Spears. I think I'm getting worked. This was fine. The finish was funny as Dax tags Cash who tags Spears, Cash and Dax whip in Dante, Dax elevates Dante into the DVD. Why did they need to tag Cash at all?  For the double whip? 

Trios Match: AEW World Tag Team Champions The Young Bucks & Brandon Cutler Vs. The Lucha Brothers & Laredo Kid

This felt really heatless with lots and lots of back and forth with little emotional investment. Cutler taking the fall was so obvious that I thought it may be a head fake. Laredo Kid is no Pac. Penta had some killer entrance gear. There's no explaining heel and face here so I'm not going to bother with the usual whining.

Nyla Rose (w/ Vickie Guerrero) Vs. Tay Conti

Conti has something. I really like her kicks and knees and such. Finish was flat. Post match was so very, very muddled. 

TNT Championship Match: Darby Allin (c) Vs. John Silver (w/ Dark Order)

I liked the psychology where Silver took most of the match and seemed to have Allin's number. I really wish he wouldn't have gotten hurt in the middle of the match because it throws a lot into question. Like, did they improvise the finish in order to get out? Because that kind of works. The issue with the code red here is that Allin couldn't put away Janella with one off the top rope a few weeks ago. So the ever expanding escalation can hurt things in retrospect. As it stands, Silver didn't absorb an awful lot so he's kind of projected as having a wrestling glass jaw. 

• Like 2

QT Marshall is going to turn heel imo. And he's going to keep turning heel until somebody notices, damn it!

I am getting into Alex Abrahantes increasingly far-gone polite boy fallen in with the bad kids/radicalised by insane luchador vibe

Fair play, "it means the world to be the first black woman in the Rhodes family" is one of the most deranged things I've ever heard

• Like 5

Do they not have a "Penta Says" t-shirt yet? I take back my Dario comment, because Abrahantes is made for this. Please never provide an explanation and just let it be a fringe guy found a way to be on the English broadcast regularly and hams it up like Firebreaker Chip said. Same sort of vibes with all of the newfound power the nerd/nice kid is not used to wielding that comes with their changed social position. Just looking at his twitter, three consecutive posts of "Penta says..." and it's perfect. He should never speak on AEW TV without starting a sentence with that.

Edit: but more generally, I'm glad they're giving Pentagon some promo time en Español. This is ideally how you handle charismatic wrestlers that can speak wonderfully in their native tongue but can't in English (yet or ever). 

Edited by Jiji

2 hours ago, Goodear said:

Never has a hair style made me so damn annoyed than Shawn Spears. I think I'm getting worked. This was fine. The finish was funny as Dax tags Cash who tags Spears, Cash and Dax whip in Dante, Dax elevates Dante into the DVD. Why did they need to tag Cash at all?  For the double whip? 

Yes. FTR is about doing tag team wrestling by the book.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Gorman said:

Yes. FTR is about doing tag team wrestling by the book.

While we're on FTR, I wanna shout their part of the Pinnacle promo out. The way Dax said "professional wrestling" over and over again was super intense, and I really enjoyed the hell out of it.

• Like 3

That main event was great and reminded me of some of the MANLY Never title matches with Ishii. Only bit I hated was Darby diving on the DO for no reason when he could have potentially coffin dropped Silver for the win instead.

I can understand people hating Kenny’s over the top crap, but I just find it very entertaining and funny, I guess it’s just years of watching them act like this in BTE. Him asking for the mic whilst already having it was hilarious “gimme that Don, gimme that!”

The Pinnacle’s tron with the VHS tracking lines and 90s WCW PPV style opening graphics was beautiful.

Edited by eikerir

6 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Cody being in an alternate dimension is such a true statement. It's like his stuff is the Tales From the Black Freighter to AEW's Watchmen. 

I eagerly await the explanation how Cody's booking comments on the main AEW storyline in an important way.:)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jiji said:

Do they not have a "Penta Says" t-shirt yet? I take back my Dario comment, because Abrahantes is made for this. Please never provide an explanation and just let it be a fringe guy found a way to be on the English broadcast regularly and hams it up like Firebreaker Chip said. Same sort of vibes with all of the newfound power the nerd/nice kid is not used to wielding that comes with their changed social position. Just looking at his twitter, three consecutive posts of "Penta says..." and it's perfect. He should never speak on AEW TV without starting a sentence with that.

Edit: but more generally, I'm glad they're giving Pentagon some promo time en Español. This is ideally how you handle charismatic wrestlers that can speak wonderfully in their native tongue but can't in English (yet or ever). 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Cody being in an alternate dimension is such a true statement. It's like his stuff is the Tales From the Black Freighter to AEW's Watchmen. 

It's a big switch from the BTE days where most of the episode was Cody and the Bucks at ROH shows (with Hangman, Flip and Scurll as supporting characters), and then Kenny would be off in Japan and barely connected to the rest of the cast at all.