DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite (24th March 2021).

The Natural

A low-stakes episode but a breeze to watch. Everything was good, fun, easy, those kinds of words

Except that Young Bucks post-match stuff. How many times do they have to tell the Good Brothers that they DON'T WANT TO MAKE THE DOGS KISS

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Haha 1

Is it a great promo from Britt? I get that's the traditional view but maybe just go with the flow and start the face turn rather than swim upstream. 

Missed Omega/Sydal but the rest was very good. Loved the main event and I don't think a scuffed code red finish diminishes it much if at all. Darby is the most consistent high-end wrestler AEW has, with Page a close second. Dude is always bringing it in compelling, well structured matches and is completely unique stylistically. He will work over limbs and keep selling and use his quickness and technique to overcome size disadvantages. I love Kenny to bits and his highs are higher but week-to-week Darby is The Man in AEW right now. Nobody else works like him. There are lots of Omega clones.

Some of Kenny's character work can be a bit much even for me but I overall like where they're going. Kenny's the master of big picture storytelling but will sometimes drop the ball with the attention to detail stuff or go too far. But I like how they've built up a delusional cokehead champion that is clearly being manipulated by Callis. And it seems like whatever he does people will complain, which is their right. Before he was a boring non-character and now he's too much a cartoon. He had a better grasp on the middle ground in NJPW during his heavyweight run because there wasn't as heavy an emphasis on constant character work. He's better at using that to push in-ring stories it seems. But the overall arc is going to rule when his titles start to disappear and he and Callis have their fallout. He's already proven he does a redemption babyface turn extremely well but the Bucks in place of Ibushi is a downgrade. I still need that Ibushi/Omega broadway with both belts on the line more than you could ever imagine (Rock), with all due respect.

• Like 2

Show was great, as per usual. I really worried that Silver tore his bicep so I guess I'm glad it's just a shoulder separation at the moment. Hopefully nothing got torn.

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

Some of Kenny's character work can be a bit much even for me but I overall like where they're going. Kenny's the master of big picture storytelling but will sometimes drop the ball with the attention to detail stuff or go too far. But I like how they've built up a delusional cokehead champion that is clearly being manipulated by Callis. And it seems like whatever he does people will complain, which is their right. Before he was a boring non-character and now he's too much a cartoon. He had a better grasp on the middle ground in NJPW during his heavyweight run because there wasn't as heavy an emphasis on constant character work. He's better at using that to push in-ring stories it seems. But the overall arc is going to rule when his titles start to disappear and he and Callis have their fallout. He's already proven he does a redemption babyface turn extremely well but the Bucks in place of Ibushi is a downgrade. I still need that Ibushi/Omega broadway with both belts on the line more than you could ever imagine (Rock), with all due respect.

Apologies, I'm gonna quote you just so I can bounce some ideas off you. Not trying to change your mind or anything. There's just been some stuff on my mind re: Omega and company, and you're normally a good sounding board with a firm grasp of his appeal. 

You say it seems like whatever he does people will complain. Does that feed into him actually being an effective heel? Like, you say whatever he does people will complain, but I was quite complimentary of his match tonight. I have a lot of complimentary things to say about a lot of his matches. And yet I find his personality repellent. And he's one of the few people in wrestling right now whose forward-facing persona generates extreme reactions of this variety. Why complain about people's complaints when you should be building the case that he's a secretly great heel with the wrestling audience that exists today and anyone who's triggered is being expertly worked? He's a guy whose matches I often find compelling and who figures into most of my dream match scenarios for this company. And yet his personality offends me. Instead of bemoaning how much people complain, shouldn't you as a fan of his recognize what remarkable work he's doing? I don't want to make your whole case for you, but I know what lives in my heart: I know this is an argument with merit. 

Re: big-picture storytelling, someone can explain the plot of a show to me in a way where he arc of the thing makes complete sense and I can still find myself not enjoying most episodes of said plot. Even if Kenny's a master of the big stuff, which you profess, week-to-week reception matters in this format. And the details matter. I think this is playing out in Hangman's booking. I know people can explain the overall arc to me in a way that makes complete sense. But I'm not invested week-to-week, the details aren't always 100% clear to the majority of their audience (sorry BTE people, only a fraction of the American TV audience could give a fuck), and I doubt most people find themselves more invested now than they were a year ago -- Even though the big picture is there and the arc would make sense if you were to explain it. There are shortcomings to overemphasizing big-picture storytelling if you can't make people care week-to-week.

Anyway, now I defer to BTE viewers: Are the Bucks really stand-ins for Ibushi in a redemption arc? If so, we're a ways from it in my estimation. Where is this going in the short term? Neither of the Bucks are challenging for the world belt, and I doubt Kenny is belt-collecting the tag titles. So does the Matt/Hangman parallel shit that people were posting from the last episode finally lead to people firmly picking sides? Is Kenny/Good Brothers vs Hangman/Bucks where we're headed, with the destination being Kenny vs Page for the belt? Please...? At least let me get compelling wrestling out of this even if I find the storytelling outlandish! 

If we do get Omega vs Ibush for both belts, I'll only be happy it's happening because you want it so bad. Otherwise, *shrug* Good read on Darby's virtues, BTW.

Edited by John from Cincinnati

6 hours ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Gosh dang that was a fun two hours of pro wrestling. I enjoyed pretty much every moment of that.

I will say, however, that it was strange  to see a basic simple transition move like a Canadian Destroyer (Code Red) be the finisher in a title match!

Canadian Destroyer and Code Red are two different moves. Destroyer is the flipping piledriver, an impact move. Code Red is the sunset flip bomb, also an impact move but ends in sunset flip position so an immediate pinfall.
It wasn't smooth but you can give them a pass since Silver was working on one shoulder. But I do like when guys win in different ways than just using their finishers. The Code Red spot is a regular move in Darby's repitoire so hopefully next time he hits it the viewers remember this finish and bite a bit more on the nearfall (or finish if it happens again).

6 hours ago, Jiji said:

Is it a great promo from Britt? I get that's the traditional view but maybe just go with the flow and start the face turn rather than swim upstream. 

Missed Omega/Sydal but the rest was very good. Loved the main event and I don't think a scuffed code red finish diminishes it much if at all. Darby is the most consistent high-end wrestler AEW has, with Page a close second. Dude is always bringing it in compelling, well structured matches and is completely unique stylistically. He will work over limbs and keep selling and use his quickness and technique to overcome size disadvantages. I love Kenny to bits and his highs are higher but week-to-week Darby is The Man in AEW right now. Nobody else works like him. There are lots of Omega clones.

If NJPW ever wants to use AEW talent, Darby being in BOSJ is something I want to see so bad.  Especially Darby/Despy and Darby/HIromu.  The matches would be so good.

I don't know who is better- Darby or Dragon Lee at this point.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

A low-stakes episode but a breeze to watch. Everything was good, fun, easy, those kinds of words.

Almost word-for-word how I felt about it. Unfortunately all I could really remember this morning before reading recaps was who won the opener and the main event. I guess because MJF already cut the promo mocking Jericho last week I forgot about the content of this week's segment. 

2:1 odds say the program is called AEW Dynarhodes by their second anniversary show.

EDIT: I remembered the Page squash too, and the lack of shenanigans, and being happy. I can't wait for him to take the strap off of Kenny at the Full Rhodes: Brandi's Nanny's Revenge PPV in the fall. Keep giving him solid wins and looking cool. I remember when it was him and Jericho at the first ever AEW show and I had absolutely no idea who the fuck he was, now he's one of my favorites. Switching from trunks to tassled pants helped his look a lot also, not much confusing him with anyone else.

Edited by Sex Machine Gun
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Anyway, now I defer to BTE viewers: Are the Bucks really stand-ins for Ibushi in a redemption arc? If so, we're a ways from it in my estimation. Where is this going in the short term? Neither of the Bucks are challenging for the world belt, and I doubt Kenny is belt-collecting the tag titles. So does the Matt/Hangman parallel shit that people were posting from the last episode finally lead to people firmly picking sides? Is Kenny/Good Brothers vs Hangman/Bucks where we're headed, with the destination being Kenny vs Page for the belt? Please...? At least let me get compelling wrestling out of this even if I find the storytelling outlandish! 

From what I see the Bucks are supposed to be stand-ins which from reading their book plus BTE shows just how close they've been.  So there is something to it but I prefer Ibushi in this slot due to their history and how things played out.  But for an AEW version of it all it's fine.  I think the BTE segment was almost out of left field with Hardy all-of-a-sudden admitting to texting from Hangman's phone.

As far as timeframes for everything I see Bucks with Hangman happening in maybe a month or two with Hangman facing Kenny at Full Gear.  And Kenny's redemption arc I see starting soon after his title loss with him getting his shit together at the end of Revolution.  If done right they can get some interesting stories going throughout all this though I'll admit that the week-to-week stuff gets a bit messy at times.

• Like 1

I'd put money on Omega losing the title to Hangman at All Out this year. But, in any case, this entire story is less about the Bucks and Omega, and more to do with the "redemption arc" of Hangman Page. He's the reason for all of this, one way or another.

And people will hate it, but I see Cody tagging with the Bucks at Double Or Nothing against Omega and the Good Brothers. Have them win, beat down the Bucks and Cody - gives a reason to get Cody off TV for the birth of his daughter, and maybe have Hangman run-in for a late save or something. You could argue there's a chance Moxley could be their partner, too. That's where your build starts for the end of summer showdown between a triple champion (maybe?) in Omega and Hangman Page, who has been on a massive winning streak. All Out is likely to be the first show and/or PPV with a full crowd too, if their rescheduled dates give a glimpse into anything (I can't imagine them pushing back some of these TV tapings in other cities a third time).

Edited by Casey

I did like how, the team is both Varsity Blondes and half of Top Flight, and they still came out to Top Flight's music. Like they were all just "This tune is better, we're using it". Also Dante Martin is incredible.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

And they were doing so well. The post-match was garbage. I know they've been having Callis sow dissention between Omega and the Bucks. But Kenny's such a phony. I believe nothing about him. I don't care who's in love with who. I don't buy that a guy who teamed with the Bucks a bunch would be so offended about not being including in this tag match. Is this grown man really so triggered that his friends have another friend? Grow up, all of you. Your thumbs up was phony, silly, trolling bullshit. Your selling is preposterous. Nice job pissing away all that goodwill from the opening match, you pretentious goof.

Oh, and Bucks -- maybe if you want Kenny to stop kicking the guy, physically get in between Kenny and LK. Try. Do something. 

Callis is fine though. He's the right flavor of smug in the background.

Am I alone in finding Kenny’s megalomania hilarious?  He’s so out of sorts that he’s angry about not being included in their six man.  Yes, ridiculous, but also terrific for this character.  I loved this and the match.  And the show.  

• Like 8

I loved Kenny’s breakdown this week. He’s so upset, he’s telling Don to hand him the microphone when he already has it in his hand. 

Silver/Darby was awesome. Silver looked emotional and intense throughout, really sold the importance of the opportunity he had. Sting needs to stay off the ramp. -1 was in his ear this week saying “bro, if you’re not in the match stay on hard-cam, bro”

Edited by Mr Harms
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Alex Ibrahantes continues to be amazing.  He seems so gleeful about translating Penta's shit-talking.  PENTA SAYS YOUR MOMMA SO FAT THE BITCH WEARS A VCR FOR A PAGER!  PENTA SAYS YOUR MOMMA GOT A WOODEN LEG WITH A KICKSTAND!  I love the other announcers being absolutely puzzed at his continued presence. 

Holy shit, that top rope rana counter in the Kenny/Sydal match was dangerous.  Sydal was about an inch away from doing a flipping footstomp onto Kenny's head.  I really dug the buckle bomb as a counter to the meteora.

Holy shit how many acting classes did Cody take?  Was it at some second floor walkup on Sunset that gives group rates?  Was the class taught by Tommy Wiseau?  YOU'RE TEARING ME APART, QT!  I couldn't tell if he was a babyface, remorseful over fighting his friend, or a heel, condescending to his lower-skilled lackey.  What I'm getting at is that Cody is as bad at acting as his tattoo guy is at tattooing. 

Me: Mom?  Can we watch Miz and Mrs?

Mom: We have Miz and Mrs. at home!

Brandi says she's proud to be "the first black member of the Rhodes family" and I'm just incredibly puzzled that that's a thing.  I imagine Dustin just side eyes that side of the family as they all drink their own Kool Aid.  Side eyes them like a motherfucker.  They're as down to Earth as Mark Watney.

The Britt and Rosa promos were excallent!  Good job keeping their amazing, history-making work spotlighted.

Do Christian and Kazarian have some long, storied history I don't know about?  Note: I didn't watch TNA.

The company has some balls putting Cesar Bononi on TV after that botch on Dark.  Also, he's a weird looking dude.  He looks like the Pen Pineapple Pineapple Pen guy if he did a few cycles.  Fun match.  Didn't they promote Nemeth and Drake at ringside?  They were behind the barricade.  Weird.

I didn't understand the announcers hyping up Sting EVENING THE ODDS when both sides are babyfaces and all the Dark Order did in the match prior to him coming out was Angels taking the bullet on a dive.  The story they were telling wasn't what was happening.  I also didn't understand "20 minute time limit or TV time remaining."  Aren't those things mutually exclusive or am I missing something?  Anyway, really good match.  Johnny Hungee kicks like a motherfucker.  Hope the injury's not too bad.  And as others have mentioned, good to see a match not end with a finisher.  We need more of that.

I liked the Pinnacle/Varsity Flight tag match.  Weird coming back from pichur in pichur pretty much right to the finish, though.  If they're rebuilding Cokedick Ronnie (tm Marty and Sarah), letting him get the pin is a good idea.  FTR didn't need it.  

Nitpicking one spot from that match: three babyfaces shouldn't be scared off from a triple dive by one heel.  It's not "Seth Rollins crying about the Fiend" bad, but still.  If the idea is for the faces to tease the dive but for the heels to get out of it, then the heels should run from the dive.

HARDY FAMILY OFFICE.  Nice.

Who picked up the ball NXT dropped in training Tay Conti?  She's good!  Let that person train everyone.

Nice foreshadowing with Miro and Kip, with Miro telling him, "this is the match YOU asked for!"

JR is just spouting cliches at this point and adding nothing of substance.  He compared something to a car crash twice.  Someone did a hard move and he yelled something like "that is all impact!"  Seriously, replace him with a soundboard already.  His commentary sounds like a Playstation WWE game session. 

I enjoyed Cutler's brief periods of Skinny Nerd Lucha.  Great match overall but we expected that.  Nice fill-in work by Laredo Kid.

I loved the Eddie and Mox promo.  Eddie said something like, "it's a broken...something." LOL.  I once had a doctor diagnose something that vaguely.  He said something like "this kind of thing takes a month or two to heal."  A month later he casually mentioned it was a herniated disc in my neck.  Like WTF dude?  Maybe Eddie went to the same guy.

LOL @ Silver training for the Coffin Drop and the Dark Order doing trust falls like it's an executive retreat.

I loved Schiavone calling out Kenny bleeding from the mouth and Excalibur deadpanning "oh poor guy."

Good slow burn cooking with Team Tazz.

My god, Kenny and his stooges torturing Page for weeks or months leading to a title change is going to be glorious.  

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Hadn't seen it mentioned but with Arn as ref next week do we finally get the Arn turning on Cody moment that even Ray Charles sees coming?

I'm okay with this only if it means Arn ends up in The Pinnacle and the entire stable wrestles like it's 1982. For football fans imagine a top team being a triple option style. Hell yeah. Ground and pound, make it a part of promos, maybe even work it into matches where people fight like hell to stay inside the ring to prevent crazy shit from happening.

• Like 2