DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite (24th March 2021).

The Natural

Christian/Kaz in the most mechaniciest mechanic 13 minute 2008 Smackdown TV match that ever mechaniced is something I am all in for.

Also, big thumbs up to how Tony K has used the main event spot the past two weeks and (probably?) will again next week for the Best Friends/Miro/Kip blowoff. Absolutely love using that spot to showcase/blow off you upper mid card.

• Like 8

Yeah I think even though it was a great match we all wanted a different finish. At least they had a nice little schmozz after. Hey Sting, stay off the ramp!

It was nice seeing Laredo Kid again though he really should have been given more to do. Shit, at least let him hit a last dive on Kenny for jumping him first.

If you can believe this I actually thought Kenny/Sydal was quite good. Didn't even mind the poisoned rana because Kenny was the one that ate it this time. The more he gives a guy and acts chickenshit the better a match he's gonna have; the Terminator, Six-Star Match thing needs to have been put in mothballs a long time ago. Use those glee club acting chops in a different way and get even more unhinged. 

• Like 3

Damn that was a fun show with some killer matches.  Silver badly needs a singles run and I'd love more from Nick and Fenix.  Also didn't expect Conti to win but she has really stepped up big time.

EDIT:  Forgot about the opener which was incredibly fun stuff.

EDIT 2:  Shit that sucks really bad about Silver.  Credit to him for finishing the match though. 

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2

I hate myself for thinking about how surely some people on the internet will cry about Kenny not looking strong enough against Sydal while watching the match. I like seeing Sydal losing matches. He’s a good wrestler. He’s boring, yeah, but he’s really fun to watch when up against people I want to see win matches. Fun opener. And would you look at that. A definite squash by Hangman follows.

Loved wholesome Hangman Page with John Silver and the music of Pinnacle.

Hands up who’s exited for QT vs. Cody! Anybody? No. Dust. Hands up who’s exited for Keeping Up with The Rhodes! Anybody? No. Dust. Ah, fuck, who am I kidding, I’ll probably watch some of it.

Tony with the Dad line of the night with “the DDTay for the Conti of Three”. I really liked the aggressive side of Conti, though the camera work in this match was kinda distracting at times. Seems like Bunny is up as the next challenger for Shida but I’m really not buying her as a threat. Looks like a short detour title defense until (hopefully) the next big program for Shida and the title. Just give Britt the title!

Really liked the main event and I can live with Hardy’s interference if it leads to Darby clearly putting away Hardy in a title match. I like the matches of Darby and how the thing is more that people just can’t beat him rather than that he’s beating his challengers but a definite win in between his “normal” survivals couldn’t hurt and solidify his position even more.

There was no Sting promo being interrupted. That’s awesome.

• Like 2

Loved Omega/Sydal, great opener. Obviously Sydal wasn't winning but still some really good near falls to bite on. Laughed at Callis hyping up "rising young star" Matt Sydal then Excalibur deadpans "He's the same age as Omega." Looking forward to Christian/Kazarian, they had some classics back in 2007 Impact. Bucks/Lucha Bros trios tag was fun. Rhodes to the Top! AEW's answer to Miz & Mrs. Shocked by Tay Conti defeating Nyla, who had been greatly protected thus far, but love to see it as Tay looked really good and made for a nice surprise outcome. Dug the post-match chaos as well. Good main event and even more chaos afterwards. Enjoyable show as usual, looking forward to everything set for next week.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Gosh dang that was a fun two hours of pro wrestling. I enjoyed pretty much every moment of that.

I will say, however, that it was strange  to see a basic simple transition move like a Canadian Destroyer (Code Red) be the finisher in a title match!

Yeah, fun is the operative word.  That was fun.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Adam Page vs Cezar Bononi has been added to the show. Nemeth and Drake in the corner probably means Dark Order involvement at some point. 

Happy to be wrong about this. That came later...

Sydal still has it in the ring and he and Omega meshed really well. Loved the catch on the meteora. Catching Kenny running into a roll-up late in the match was a convincing near fall, even though there was no way Matt was winning. Competitive but decisive win for the champ and no post-match shenanigans. Good.

Dark Order are still a bunch of goofs. Johnny's got personality though. At least their were no lawnmowers. 

Adam Page getting a quick, solid win after testing his strength against a larger opponent. No Dark Order. No post-match shenanigans. Good. 

Archer promo was fine. Isn't Jake supposed to be there to do some gum flapping?

Britt promo was great. Happy to see her firmly heel after all the goodwill she generated last week.

That was some phony small-talk between Christian and the babyface team. SCU is stale, but Kaz hasn't really declined in the ring. Him vs Christian is a great choice for his first TV match back. I'm gonna watch some of their Impact matches to get hyped. Very excited for this. And this was the only real interruption of an interview segment on the whole show. Progress?

Tully's tablet >>>>>>>>>>> Arn's diner menu. Great promos from everybody. Happy they didn't hot-shot the Inner Circle's return. Liked how quick and decisive the finish was after the break. Shawn Spears continues to be the Luckiest Person in Wrestling and I won't stop finding amusement in that, but he fit here and it was good to give him the fall. Nobody should ever dive on Wardlow ever if he's intimidating enough to make three dudes hit the brakes.

I'm into the QT Marshall story. I can't believe I'm saying that. Didn't realize he had a wife though. The Allie stuff continues to look silly. At least it lead to that bunkhouse match.

Six-man was good for what it was. Some weak strikes here or there, but it is what it is. Fenix is just delightful. That headfirst bump on the apron was *chef's kiss*

And they were doing so well. The post-match was garbage. I know they've been having Callis sow dissention between Omega and the Bucks. But Kenny's such a phony. I believe nothing about him. I don't care who's in love with who. I don't buy that a guy who teamed with the Bucks a bunch would be so offended about not being including in this tag match. Is this grown man really so triggered that his friends have another friend? Grow up, all of you. Your thumbs up was phony, silly, trolling bullshit. Your selling is preposterous. Nice job pissing away all that goodwill from the opening match, you pretentious goof.

Oh, and Bucks -- maybe if you want Kenny to stop kicking the guy, physically get in between Kenny and LK. Try. Do something. 

Callis is fine though. He's the right flavor of smug in the background.

The Jade promo package ruled too. More flexing please.

Cody and Brandi have a reality show and I'm so happy. This is going to feed so many people's narratives about them. All in. 

Quality promo from Mox and Eddie. Would expect nothing less.

Conti vs Rose was fine, but I was so excited about the reality show announcement that I wasn't paying attention to a chunk. Post-match beatdown and run-ins was a bit messy for my taste. But I'm all for Allie having more to do.

Fuck all the video game dipshits. Hopefully it's at least half as good as the parking lot brawl, which ended a similarly awful feud. 

Main event was good. Darby's mat work is as good as usual and he lays in his dive, so it's hard to complain about anything he does. And I like that he's established enough now to carry the star power in a main event against an up-and-comer like Johnny. Some good counters here. Ref should have booted all the Dark Order guys after the save and helping him over the rail. I guess they're paying Sting enough to do his job too. Post-match clusterfuck was whatever. They've done so many of these that they're hard to get excited for. 

Line of the night: "You don't coffin drop into a pile of wild dogs!" - Jim Ross, who I thought had a good night. Really put over Rosa-Britt and Nick Jackson-Fenix match. Great way for him to use his credibility. 

Pretty good show. With the Pinnacle segment two weeks ago, the main event last week, and this solidness, it feels like they're in a good groove at the moment. Fuck Kenny Omega forever. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 6

Most of the show was really fun. It just amazes me to no end that pretentious goof Kenny omega was able to ruin two American wrestling shows in a single week. That’s some generational ability there. Also, cheers, @John from Cincinnati. I couldn’t have said it better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Infinit said:

Another really great 2 hours! 

Know what would've been an AMAZING dick move? If Cody agreed to the exhibition match, but booked it on Elevation instead of Dynamite lol

The network wouldn't stand for Cody working on the Youtube shows. TNT wants as much Cody as they can get. 

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, The Natural said:

MJF with the line of the night went something like this: The only thing you're breaking nowadays are chairs when you sit on them.

13 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

WTF, I love MJF now. 

01:03.