DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - SPRING 2021

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

22 hours ago, odessasteps said:

If they can keep Haaland and Sancho for another year, they should be able to stay competitive with the top of the league. 

The thing Dortmund is lacking right now is consistency. They beat Red Bull three times, but lost 1-5 to Stuttgart at home. They had phases where they could not win for the life of them. It happens with younger teams, but I fear that the class players will be in other clubs before they can become consistant. 

4 hours ago, Pete said:

ESPN actually showed it live that year for some reason. I'll always remember telling my (English) music teacher the next day that Wimbledon had beaten Liverpool just for his completely gobsmacked reaction. He was literally slack-jawed.

What ever happened to that Vince Jones kid?

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

People always conveniently forget that Beardsley was robbed of a goal early doors by the ref fucking up a call. Somehow that rarely makes the highlight videos.

Of course technically Beasant's penalty save was also against the rules, though admittedly everyone was breaking the 'goalkeeper can't move' rule and he did play a blinder that day. BUT it was this dubious penalty save lead to John Aldridge introducing the controversial stutter-step to his penalty run-up - eventually the rule was changed and officially goalies could move and takers could stutter-step. So this save had ramifications beyond the game.

8 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I think this year is just weird. Look at how many teams, in all leagues, have been terrible at home and above average on the road. 

It is definitely true that home advantage can't be that big if there are no crowds. But some teams who I was sure would be in trouble were doing quite well, like Union Berlin and Freiburg. Dortmund may have down a little better with fans, but I think it was mostly their coach not getting through to them anymore at one point plus the afromentioned maturity thing. 

Edited by ReiseReise

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Glad that the lad Jebbison put a spanner in the works against Everton, but sounds like he'll be off to a big club before he can have crack at the Championship. Hopefully can get a big fee for him. 

5 years ago yesterday:

Yankee Stadium in the sun,

Metro 7 and City none,

All these days I will sing and praise,

Of the Metro team that played that day.

Aston Villa doing Leicester City a favour beating Chelsea 2-0 as Leicester are 2-1 up against Tottenham Hotspur. I'd like Leicester City to get a Champions League spot having been in the top four in all but one week, the football played by the Foxes and how the club is run by the owners. Chelsea going from two finals and top four to losing two of the three!

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

The nightmare is over. I would say I think Sheffield United will bounce straight back up but not so sure. Looking forward to a few more wins at least ?