DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - SPRING 2021

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
On 5/8/2021 at 8:31 PM, cubbymark said:

As a Swansea fan, I’m glad we aren’t getting Bournemouth or Brentford in the playoff semi-finals. I just don’t know if the Swans have enough legs to survive three more games.

Brentford are bottlers, probably better to get them in the final.

League One ends with Hull(c) and Peterborough (the POSH~!) going up automatically to the Championship and a fun playoff bracket with Blackpool vs Oxford and Sunderland vs Lincoln for the third spot. Rochdale, Northampton, Swindon and Bristol Rovers fall through the trap door to League Two.

One flight down in said League Two it's Cheltenham Town(c), Cambridge United (sup @SirFozzie) and Bolton Wanderers headed up to League One while Morecambe/Tranmere Rovers and Newport County/Forest Green Rovers all duke it out for the fourth spot. Condolences to Southend United and Grimsby Town who plunge down to the National League.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Not surprisingly, Grimsby and Southend are complaining about the mechanics of things this year, since the Natiomal League doesn't have relegation this season. 

I can't see what their argument is. The National League doesn't have relegation because the leagues below that abandoned their seasons fairly early on. League Two and the National League are both playing full seasons so there's no reason not to have teams go up and down.

Dover deserve to be relegated from the National League but they'll just get a large points deduction next season instead which will probably doom them to relegation.

Also, Fulham are soon to  be no longer "All Elite". They're 2-0 down to Burnley at half-time in a game where a loss relegates them.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Columbus Crew are rebranding and will now just go by Columbus SC because of course they are

And the logo:

No. Just... no.

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Think West Brom and Fulham will bounce back up next season. A new manager and some fresh faces should have Sheffield United in the mix, but relegation seems just as likely as promotion. Not confident at all ???

Today is the 36th anniversary of the Valley Parade Fire Disaster as Bradford City played Lincoln City. 56 lost their lives with many injured. Thoughts go out to everyone affected by that dreadful of dates. Forever remembered xxx.

• Sad 1

Accies are going down after losing at Ross County. County need a single point next week to assure themselves of safety. Kilmarnock look like they will end up in the playoff relegation spot. And Hibs clinch 3rd spot with victory in Aberdeen, which gives them a spot in the 3rd tier European competition but if they win the Scottish Cup (which given the last one took 114 years a 5 year drought is much better) they get a Europa spot. 

I always wanted to play for Man United as a youngster but that obviously didn't quite work out. Now I'm old as fuck and yet, at 36 years old, it still gives me hope that I could one day play for them when I remember they paid £50 million for Fred and he's on £120,000 a week when he can't control the ball, couldn't pass wind, has never met a stupid foul he didn't like committing and spends most of the match with his hand in the air apologising for the latest mistake he's made. 

I feel like I'm singling him out because, I mean, all the players were shite tonight (the likes of McTominay and Henderson didn't exactly cover themselves in glory either) and United were firmly in already qualified for the top 4, stumbling over the line in 2nd place mode but, holy shit, I'm becoming more and more convinced he's probably the worst regular first team player I've ever seen play for that team. I mean even at their best they had some shite squad players but a regular starter? Nah, can't think of anyone worse.

Anyway, I'm making my United debut next week. Look out for the old fucker with F. Dunlop 99 on the back of his shirt. 

Edited by Fuzzy Dunlop
  • Like 2

Oh, and in NUMBERS news.. brace yourself.

LaLiga's eight year deal with ESPN is worth... $1.4 BILLION dollars.

That's $175 million a year, or currently almost $10 million more than the English Premier League is getting from NBC on a year to year basis.

My reaction: Holy shit, the rights train money isn't stopping after all. I think we all thought with the pandemic and digital encroaching, the exponential growth of Soccer rights would slow down. Nope. CHOO CHOO, motherforkers. If LaLiga gets 175 million a year, what is the EPL worth? $250 Million?

https://awfulannouncing.com/soccer/...1-4-billion-taking-over-from-bein-sports.html

Well, the Prmier League just announced they were rolling over their domestic broadcast deal, for fear of the kind of rights reduction that happened in Germany and France.

I presume the ESPN deal is that big because its both English and Spanish language packages.

ESPN actually showed it live that year for some reason. I'll always remember telling my (English) music teacher the next day that Wimbledon had beaten Liverpool just for his completely gobsmacked reaction. He was literally slack-jawed.