DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - SPRING 2021

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

I'm not a soccer fan but happened to turn on NBC Sports yesterday morning to put the game on as background noise.  So after seeing them mention the protests and looking it up all I have to say is what in the wide world of sports is going on?  This shit is crazy and completely inexcusable to say the least.  I say punish all involved and make sure that stuff like this should not be attempted anymore.

I do have to laugh though seeing somebody talk about the protest acting like they were polite in how they protested.  He said they went in, made their point and left in the hopes the game would still go on.  I highly doubted that but he made it sound kind of nice.  Compare that with US football and I can bet if something like that was attempted here we'd get riots and lots of damages happening to the affected stadiums.

I've seen protestors interviewed and saying they wanted to get the game cancelled because that would be the only way to send a message the owners would hear. Which is utterly myopic. The Glazers do not care in any way what the Man United fans think. If, when stadiums open back up, they find that theirs is completely empty, they might care very slightly. But not much. They just won the Superbowl, what do they care about some sad marks the other side of the Atlantic?

It was gonna be cancelled anyway but I was just amused by how somebody interpreted them leaving after a relatively short time.  As for the Glazers they ultimately need to go but it sounds like that'll be one helluva mountain to move for that to happen.  And I hope it leads to a big dropoff in attendance but I have a feeling by the time crowds come back it may be long enough for things to blow over.

30 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Jose to Roma next season. 

not at all awkward that they still have to play United this week in the Europa League semi final. 

I don't get Jose still being able to get these caliber jobs. We have enough history to know how this experiment will go.

• Like 1

I think Jose will do well at Roma domestically. The italian game is definitely Jose's style of methodolical and conservative in approach. Player relations wise the money in Serie A is nowhere near that of the PL, so I'd expect to see less outspoken players getting their panties in a twist and more buying in to what Mourinho is selling.

Lehmann got quoted in the German tabloid Bild where he tried to explain himself. 

"Quote" also means ratings in German, he tried to explain it away as a failed attempt at a "funny" pun where he wanted to say that Aogo was so good he generated ratings (turning token black guy into ratings black guy). Sure... (there were also some weird reaction to former teammate Thomas Hitzlsperger's comingout and attempts to euphimize Covid19, so Hmmm...) 

For what it's worth, Aogo accepted an apology Lehmann made to him in a phone call, stating that he was really unhappy with what Lehmann texted, he considers Lehmann's regret sincere and believes in second chances. 

On 5/4/2021 at 11:37 AM, odessasteps said:

I figured Russia or Turkey next for him. 

That was the joke going around from Spartak fans the past week.

I had a very strong inkling that Tuchel would get past Zidane. He is the superior tactician, and Real Madrid are a freaking old squad that needed a rebuild 2 years ago. 

I like Chelsea's chances against Pep & City with the stakes this high. I'm a huge de Bruyn fan and I'd love to see him lift the trophy, but I'm really enjoying Tuchel's brilliance right now. 

• Like 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

I needed a pick-me-up and watching the AFTV lot lose their rag did the trick ? 

3 minutes ago, Jimbo_Tsuruta said:

I needed a pick-me-up and watching the AFTV lot lose their rag did the trick ? 

Have to seek that out. Satisfying seeing Piers pissed.

Edited by The Natural