DVDVR Message Board

NXT Takeover: Stand & Deliver - 4/7-8/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Ciampa-Walter was match of the night. I'd say it was better than the A-Kid defense but not as good as vs Ilja. Walter is in a class of his own.

I enjoyed the main event. Not familiar with Gonzalez. Good match. I'd watch more of her. 

I've seen two Kushida matches this year and he looked bad each time because Gargano and Dunne were both in arm submissions all match but never sold the arm. At least Dunne did post match. Just slap a real armbar on until someone learns to act like it hurts.

The NXT Clusterfuck was meh. Ruff somehow hurting Strickland more than himself on a jumping diamond cutter off the announce table onto the floor... what? Glad Reed won. 

I missed Toni/Stark outside of the ending. Nice win for Stark I guess.

Was only half paying attention to Dunne/Kushida though I liked what I saw.

The Gauntlet Eliminator was pretty solid. I'm ok with Reed winning. He was the only solid face choice to face Johnny. That said, with everyone they have fed to Reed really hoping he wins and just gets a transitional reign so the belt can get on one of the more interesting heels.

WALTER/Ciampa as damn good as expected, easily the best Ciampa match in years/ Was kind of neat to see WALTER having to fight from underneath with his biggest weapon damaged.

The tag titles match was exactly what I expected and pretty fun overall. Really hope GYV and LDF are champs as well within the next year. 

Io/Raquel was fantastic. Loved seeing Io maintain control via speed, skill, and willingness to kill herself throughout the match. Raquel was beast at all of the right moments. Really happy to see Raquel as champ. Will be interesting to see what is done with Io. Wonder if the main roster interests her at all seeing how bad the booking is there.

Good show overall. Between WALTER/Ciampa & Io/Raquel for MOTN. Hopefully Night 2 will at least be solid.

• Like 1

I saw almost all of WALTER/Ciampa. WALTER is the best wounded-bear monster heel since Vader, and maybe the only one comparable to him in that fashion aside from Hansen. Ciampa was throwing chops as hard as him to make up for the hand work cutting his off. And man I thought when he started throwing those clotheslines into him that his fucking arm was broken, it was flopping around on impact like it had snapped in three places. 

The other thing I saw was Io's dive and the end of the match and that was pretty good too. So NXT wins tonight so far, the title match cut me almost entirely out of AEW (though I missed 40 minutes of that by the time I dialed in already). Also I need to remember to record these Takeovers because they don't automatically like regular NXT.

• Like 1

I enjoyed Io's reign a lot but the build for Raquel has been really good. So, I had a feeling it was going to be her night. Plus, it should be good to see the faces chase after her. I'm guessing Io makes her way to the main roster now. 

WALTER/Ciampa and Io/Raquel were both excellent matches.  Closest Io has gotten to one her old Stardom Korakuen gaijin of the month matches (included jumping off something high up).  The rest of the night was pretty solid.  The best thing about the booking is that they made every match feel different and the right person won.  Bronson, for example, is a much better choice than Lumis who really doesn't need to win/be in any title hunts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

WALTER is the best wounded-bear monster heel since Vader, and maybe the only one comparable to him in that fashion aside from Hansen.

So true.  I marked out for WALTER reacting to Ciampa kicking out at one point not with some incredulous facials towards the nearest camera, but immediately to selling the arm.  He is so great at everything pro wrestling.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, The Natural said:

EyabFCPWYAMjxhD?format=jpg&name=large

EyagO7dUYAE0A2G?format=jpg&name=large

WALTER. One of the best wrestlers in the world. When WALTER wrestles, I watch.

I loved how WALTER sold what a war he went through before, during and after the Imperium pose. Great stuff.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I loved how WALTER sold what a war he went through before, during and after the Imperium pose. Great stuff.

WALTER's great at everything he does, his wrestling, his selling, his presence. Please let us get WALTER vs. Daniel Bryan.

• Like 4

Shout out to Tommaso Ciampa wearing trunks and shaving his head to become the Blackheart again. Details like that add more to the story told. Do hope he grows the hair out again.

Edited by The Natural

EyakNdcU4AQgEQe?format=jpg&name=large

I also appreciate how WALTER has ended matches with different moves: Big Splash vs. Pete Dunne, Running Lariat to Tyler Bates, Sleeper on Ilja Dragunov and chop to Tommaso Ciampa. WALTER vs. Tyler Bates at NXT TakeOver: Cardiff 2019 is still the best match of the lot, it's *****.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, worldcupfever said:

So true.  I marked out for WALTER reacting to Ciampa kicking out at one point not with some incredulous facials towards the nearest camera, but immediately to selling the arm.  He is so great at everything pro wrestling.

I love how WALTER reacts to kick outs in general.  He doesn't do the typical "how did they do that" crap for every move. He looks stern, slightly annoyed, then just moves on to try and finish his prey.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

WALTER's great at everything he does, his wrestling, his selling, his presence. Please let us get WALTER vs. Daniel Bryan.

I totally was thinking about this as match I want to see just last week when I was catching up to NXT UK. 

57 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I also appreciate how WALTER has ended matches with different moves: Big Splash vs. Pete Dunne, Running Lariat to Tyler Bates, Sleeper on Ilja Dragunov and chop to Tommaso Ciampa. WALTER vs. Tyler Bates at NXT TakeOver: Cardiff 2019 is still the best match of the lot, it's *****.

I was noticing this as well. I love it since you never quite know how his matches will end as a result. This is what everyone should be doing instead of relying on just one, maybe two moves and the occasional flash pin.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I love how WALTER reacts to kick outs in general.  He doesn't do the typical "how did they do that" crap for every move. He looks stern, slightly annoyed, then just moves on to try and finish his prey.

I totally was thinking about this as match I want to see just last week when I was catching up to NXT UK. 

I was noticing this as well. I love it since you never quite know how his matches will end as a result. This is what everyone should be doing instead of relying on just one, maybe two moves and the occasional flash pin.

In complete agreement, @Eivion. Cheers!

I'm in favour of that. Please give us Daniel Bryan vs. WALTER. That's THE match for me. Afterwards: WALTER vs. Cesaro, WALTER vs. Finn Balor and WALTER vs. Roderick Strong for the chops battle. We had some of WALTER/Strong through Imperium vs Undisputed Era at When Worlds Collide 2020.

• Like 2