DVDVR Message Board

NXT Takeover: Stand & Deliver - 4/7-8/2021

Dolfan in NYC

The final stress test for the Peacock/WWE Network before WrestleMania.  Two Nights!

The Card!  (Updated as they announce)

Wed April 7 (USA Network)

MAIN EVENT - FOR THE NXT WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Io Shirai (c) vs. Raquel Gonzalez

FOR THE NXT UK CHAMPIONSHIP - WALTER (c) vs. Tommaso Ciampa 

TRIPLE THREAT MATCH FOR THE VACANT NXT TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - Legado del Fantasma vs. Grizzled Young Veterans vs. MSK

#1 CONTENDER FOR THE NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP GAUNTLET ELIMINATOR  - Leon Ruff (1) vs. Isaiah "Swerve" Scott (2) vs. Bronson Reed (3) vs. Cameron Grimes (4) vs. Dexter Lumis (5) vs. LA Knight (6)

Pete Dunne vs. Kushida

Thu April 8 (Peacock)

MAIN EVENT - FOR THE NXT CHAMPIONSHIP - Finn Balor (c) vs. Karrion Kross

CO-MAIN EVENT - UNSANCTIONED MATCH - Adam Cole (bb) vs. Kyle O'Reilly

UNIFICATION LADDER MATCH FOR THE CRUISERWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP - Jordan Devlin (c) vs. Santos Escobar (int.)

FOR THE NXT NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP - Johnny Gargano (c) vs. Winner of Night 1 Gauntlet Match

FOR THE NXT WOMEN'S TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - Ember Moon/Shotzi Blackheart (c) vs. The Way

• Like 1

I kind of expected Cole/O'Reilly to be the night one main. Sounds like there will be a gimmick, and it would let them overkill away without stepping on the title match, which will be more of a restrained affair.

You can probably also pencil in Gargano vs. Lumis, Walter vs. Ciampa, Candace/Indi vs. Ember/Shotzi, LA Knight vs. Reed, and MSK vs. Burch/Lorcan.

41 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

MSK vs. Burch/Lorcan.

This is probably in jeopardy with Burch's injury, but knowing Regal, we may get Dunne as a substitute for the night. But seeing as though Lorcan just recently almost single-handedly beat Balor & Kross, he may actually take Regal up on the usual "you can defend the titles by yourself" offer, that Regal tends to give to heels when someone ends up injured.

2 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

I kind of expected Cole/O'Reilly to be the night one main. Sounds like there will be a gimmick, and it would let them overkill away without stepping on the title match, which will be more of a restrained affair.

There was basically no chance in hell of them having two nights and not having the Women's Title main event one of them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I think the question then is whether Cole/O'Reilly should be main-eventing over Balor/Cross. I'm not watching consistently enough to have a firm opinion, but it seems to be a bigger match. I love what I've seen of Balor lately though. 

Finn Balor's on a great run. Really hope he doesn't lose the NXT Championship to Karrion Kross. I'd pick one from Pete Dunne, Kyle O'Reilly, Roderick Strong, Timothy Thatcher to end it. I'd go with Strong.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I think the question then is whether Cole/O'Reilly should be main-eventing over Balor/Cross. I'm not watching consistently enough to have a firm opinion, but it seems to be a bigger match. I love what I've seen of Balor lately though. 

For what it's worth, in the previous 33 Takeovers, the NXT Title hasn't been the main event 9 times

4 of those were War Games

2 were Ciampa/Gargano masturbatory matches (Unsanctioned and Last Man Standing)

The others were - Bayley/Sasha Ironman, Charlotte/Io/Rhea for Women's Title, AOP/DIY Ladder match for Tag Title

So basically this is my way of saying that A) for NXT, they really like to have the NXT Title as the main event and B) War Games and Unsanctioned matches are always Main Events and C) Since, theoretically, UE imploding has more chapters to write - Cole/O'Reilly hasn't risen to "main event" status yet based on precedent (the Ladder match does ruin the narrative a little bit that had to main event due to the post match angle)

6 hours ago, Shartnado said:

This is probably in jeopardy with Burch's injury, but knowing Regal, we may get Dunne as a substitute for the night. But seeing as though Lorcan just recently almost single-handedly beat Balor & Kross, he may actually take Regal up on the usual "you can defend the titles by yourself" offer, that Regal tends to give to heels when someone ends up injured.

They could push back the tag title match and do MSK-GYV if necessary.

• Like 2

As noted in the NXT thread - the Tag Titles have been vacated due to Burch's injury

They will announce whatever the fuck they are doing tomorrow but assume some sort of multi-team match for Takeover

I, for one, am glad they're actually announcing dates along with the matches. 

I've rearranged the card to reflect that.  

I will not be doing that for the Mania thread because the old man will absolutely switch nights on matches multiple times and gaslight everyone. 

I think they said next week's show is 6 matches to whittle it down to 6 fighters.  So depending on how it shakes out, I could see Gargano pulling a chickenshit heel move and helping whoever Lumis' opponent is beat him.  

Either way, I hope the next week thing is the case as I don't have the stomach for a 12 man gauntlet match.  Geez. 

3 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I think they said next week's show is 6 matches to whittle it down to 6 fighters.  So depending on how it shakes out, I could see Gargano pulling a chickenshit heel move and helping whoever Lumis' opponent is beat him.  

Either way, I hope the next week thing is the case as I don't have the stomach for a 12 man gauntlet match.  Geez. 

No, it's a 12 man battle royal.  The last 6 men qualify for a 6 man gauntlet match  on Takeover Night 1, with the order of elimination for the last 6 determine the order of entering the gauntlet match.  Yes, pretty convoluted, but I can see the Way eliminating Lumis early.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nofuture said:

No, it's a 12 man battle royal.  The last 6 men qualify for a 6 man gauntlet match  on Takeover Night 1, with the order of elimination for the last 6 determine the order of entering the gauntlet match.  Yes, pretty convoluted, but I can see the Way eliminating Lumis early.

I know we did away with the confused response but that's pretty much the only thing that fits reading about this.  It's just way too convoluted when there's other ways they could have done this.  I dunno, maybe do two 6-pack challenge matches and have the winners face each other?  Or pare it down to 8 and do a tournament.  Either option would have made more sense to me than...whatever this is.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2021 at 11:55 PM, Shartnado said:

Hey Vince, Tony Khan would totally pay for the rights to use this song for a theme if AEW would have had a show called "Stand and Deliver"! That makes him better than you!

If they can't get Edward James Olmos then they need to change the name to something else.

• Like 1

ExYgE_PVIAI08VE?format=jpg&name=small

First night has my interest more with WALTER vs. Tommaso Ciampa, the triple threat tag team match for the vacant NXT Tag Team Titles, the NXT Women's Championship match and the gauntlet to determine the next contender for the NXT North American Championship. Most looking forward to WALTER/Ciampa.