DVDVR Message Board

The Coolest Names For Wrestling Moves/Holds

DEAN

31 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Not only that, a fucking rear naked choke is illegal in professional wrestling, a sleeper hold is not a choke.

This is a bit of derail, but I've never understood this. Seems to me that both a sleeper and an RNC work by compressing the carotid arteries, and neither attack the windpipe, so it makes no sense to say that an RNC is a "choke hold" in a way that a sleeper isn't.

Edited by MapRef41N93W
  • Like 2

Second the Fire Thunder, also Thunder Fire!

Psycho Driver was a good one, surprised no one has stolen it yet

Pearl Harbor Splash would be bad, but for Jun Kasai it’s perfect

Zandig’s MOTHER F’N BOMB is a guilty pleasure

Everest German Suplex is great cause Takayama literally means tall mountain.

basically a lot of Japanese moves. I don’t understand them but they sound good. D-Geist, Axe Bomber, Pumping Bomber, Ranhei, Sliding D, and plenty more.

• Like 1

Last Shaven Unicorn Drop from Mister ZERO even if it's not that amazing of a move. Sit-out Body Slam Facebuster thing...add a cutter if Mantis was tagging with him.

5 minutes ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

How did we get to page 6 without anyone mentioning the one and a half Superfly? For shame, DVDVRMB.

'That reminds me- THE SPANISH FLY is so cool one forgets its original meaning.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, AxB said:

Well, usually the noun part of a move name refers to the person doing it (like the Fisherman's Buster, the guy doing it is the Fisherman, because he's got them hooked). But then Gringo Killa refers to who Homicide is doing the move to, so it's all up in the air.

Also, Koko B. Ware was not a ghost.

• Like 1

Steiner Recliner is my favorite. It's so insult to injury...

Jay Driller is great.

Emerald Frosion is the most surrealistic.

Sliced Bread #2 makes sense and was appropriately cute for Spanky, who was always about being "cute" ... how it caught on as a good idea for announcers to say(sliced bread), i don't know...

Vertebreaker is very fine in its cruelty.

Edited by Horatio
  • Like 1

Gotta add Slim J's Roach Clip, which I can't remember him ever winning with and yeah, sometimes it seems like he's performing it wrong, but he gets an A for creativity and using you know.. a roach clip...

27 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Prosaic but clever: the Five Arm.

Re-appropriation: the Flying Burrito.

Another fave of mine: Arabian Facebuster.

- RAF

I just thought about the Arabian Facebuster, and then thought how ironic it is that someone billed from Bombay, India would have a signature move called the Arabian Facebuster.  Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of Arabs in India, but I'm pretty sure this is one of those times where people assume anyone from anywhere east of Berlin is either Arab or Chinese.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Stump-Puller

The Implant Buster (I know, I know)

The Steiner-line (like the Steiner Recliner, it just sounds good to the ears)

The Million Dollar Dream

The Tongan Death Grip

I always loved when Ember Moon's finisher was called The O Face, though the Eclipse is pretty good too.

A lot of the classic moves just sound like a million bucks: Piledriver, Atomic Drop, Brainbuster, Power Bomb, Heart Punch, Tope Suicida, Gorilla Press Slam

Re: Koko B. Ware's Ghostbuster -- I always assumed it was from when he was working as a heel in the southern territories, that it was kind of a racially tinged thing (this move busts ghosts, i.e. white dudes) but I'd imagine it's just as likely that Ghostbusters was popular and it sounded cool.

Edited by The Idiot King
typo
  • Like 3

Cattle Mutilation is still my favorite & I always loved shining wizard too. Or when Mauro called Balor’s drop kick the John Woo drop kick. Burning hammer is a ridiculously dope name for the MDK move that it is. Shooting Star Press may be the best name for a top rope move as it just sounds so graceful. Scorpion Death Drop was my favorite name for a move for ages. And I admit a huge fondness for the descriptive nature of GO 2 SLEEP! Also, Welcome to Chicago Mother Fucker.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, The Idiot King said:

A lot of the classic moves just sound like a million bucks: Piledriver, Atomic Drop, Brainbuster, Power Bomb, Heart Punch, Tope Suicida, Gorilla Press Slam

I was about to say, my pick would be the Power Bomb. It somehow has a fantastic ring to it and is a great move aswell. 

8 hours ago, supremebve said:

I also hate worked submissions that we're supposed to believe are shoot submissions when the logic behind them are completely different.  A rear naked choke will put anyone on earth out in about 10 seconds, a sleeper takes a least a full minute.  Not only that, a fucking rear naked choke is illegal in professional wrestling, a sleeper hold is not a choke.

This is high on the list of moves that make me ask, "who the fuck agrees to take that move?"  It looks like a move that either lands perfectly or results in injury with no stops in between.

I'm with you as a fan of both wrestling and MMA.