DVDVR Message Board

The Coolest Names For Wrestling Moves/Holds

DEAN

Just now, supremebve said:

After reading through this thread I've come to the realization that if you add the word "Dragon" to any move, it makes it at least 75% cooler.  With that said, I think wrestling has done a great job reserving the dragon prefix to the coolest versions of moves.  Dragon suplex, dragon sleeper, dragon rana...all worthy of this list and the name dragon.

100%  Put "Tiger" or "Dragon" in front of a move name and it is automatically cool.

Pearl River Plunge is a good move name but it should be some kind of dive instead of a tiger driver.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

100%  Put "Tiger" or "Dragon" in front of a move name and it is automatically cool.

Pearl River Plunge is a good move name but it should be some kind of dive instead of a tiger driver.

I think Tiger is 'A' level, but Dragon is 'S' level.  My proof is that a tiger driver is a fucking dope move, but there is not a dragon driver, because we kind of all agree that we haven't even invented anything that cool yet.

• Like 3

Pet peeve: unless I'm totally incorrect, which is ALWAYS a possibility, there is no such thing as a "Tiger Bomb."  There is a "Tiger Driver" (Pearl River Plunge) and a "Black Tiger Bomb" (Splash Mountain) but I'm watching Beyond Wrestling and the announcer keeps calling the Tiger Driver a "Tiger Bomb" and I want to throw my TV out the window.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

Worst, laziest move name trend:

wrestler name + "lock"

wrestler name + "driver"

wrestler name + "bomb"

Unless the wrestler's name is Tiger or Dragon, as we've already established.

I'm on the fence on calling a frog splash a "bullfrog splash" when a dude of size does it.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

wrestler name + "lock"

wrestler name + "driver"

wrestler name + "bomb"

I'm on the fence on calling a frog splash a "bullfrog splash" when a dude of size does it.

Daniel Bryan gets a pass with LeBell Lock and Yes Lock as it's Daniel Bryan. Agree on the rest.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

wrestler name + "lock"

wrestler name + "driver"

wrestler name + "bomb"

Strong disagree and I cannot believe this Fujiwara Armbar disrespect.

Ligerbomb, Nagata Locks I-III, Michinoku Driver.  These are all good names.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eikerir said:

I just assumed the "From Hell" was because the Acolytes were part of the Ministry of Darkness around the time Taker looked like Satan.

This plus the phrase "from hell" attached to any noun means "way worse than normal." Not sure how people don't know/missed this.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Pet peeve: unless I'm totally incorrect, which is ALWAYS a possibility, there is no such thing as a "Tiger Bomb."  There is a "Tiger Driver" (Pearl River Plunge) and a "Black Tiger Bomb" (Splash Mountain) but I was watching Beyond Wrestling and the announcer keeps calling the Tiger Driver a "Tiger Bomb" and I want to throw my TV out the window.

You are correct sir.  As far as I'm concerned, some stuff has to be earned.  The tiger/dragon thing need to be reserved for iconic moves by iconic wrestlers.  An iconic wrestler named his iconic move a tiger driver, so that is what it is.  Sure it's more of a powerbomb than a piledriver, but there needs to be some sense of respect for the history of the sport.  The play by play guy's #1 job should be to provide context to what we are seeing in the ring, and history is a huge part of that.  Calling a Tiger Driver a tiger bomb is not only incorrect, but it is also actively minimizing the context of the move.

• Like 1

Can we agree the worst name was that extremely brief period where Bob Holly's Falcon Arrow was called the Hollycaust?

Just a total case of, What the fuck were they thinking?

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Can we agree the worst name was that extremely brief period where Bob Holly's Falcon Arrow was called the Hollycaust?

Jesus Christ!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I know Bob Holly used a Falcon Arrow for a finisher but I never knew it was called the Hollycaust for a brief moment. Fucking hell!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Pet peeve: unless I'm totally incorrect, which is ALWAYS a possibility, there is no such thing as a "Tiger Bomb."  There is a "Tiger Driver" (Pearl River Plunge) and a "Black Tiger Bomb" (Splash Mountain) but I'm watching Beyond Wrestling and the announcer keeps calling the Tiger Driver a "Tiger Bomb" and I want to throw my TV out the window.

I always thought a tiger bomb was the none sit-out version, basically a powerbomb with the undertook setup like Malenko would use.

I always like the destroyer name (Canadian or otherwise), but the move has been overused/nearfall’d to the point it doesn’t deserve its name anymore.

Canadian Destroyer only works as a move name if the person doing it is actually Canadian, and if it's an actual finishing move. It should be called the Multinational Transition now.

Which is a better name for it than Panama Sunrise. Besides which, you can't re-use established names for different moves. Konnan's Panama Sunrise is the only one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, AxB said:

Canadian Destroyer only works as a move name if the person doing it is actually Canadian, and if it's an actual finishing move. It should be called the Multinational Transition now.

Which is a better name for it than Panama Sunrise. Besides which, you can't re-use established names for different moves. Konnan's Panama Sunrise is the only one.

Wasn't Konnan's the Tequila Sunrise, tho?

5 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Wasn't Konnan's the Tequila Sunrise, tho?

The Tequila Sunrise Suplex was Mayumi Ozaki's finisher.  And that is a great name for a suplex.

Rating the Suplex names:

1. Japanese Ocean Cyclone Suplex

2. Dragon Suplex

3. Tequila Sunrise Suplex

4. Exploider Suplex

5. Northern Lights Suplex

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AxB said:

What if you only use it against Canadian wrestlers?

• Like 1

Well, usually the noun part of a move name refers to the person doing it (like the Fisherman's Buster, the guy doing it is the Fisherman, because he's got them hooked). But then Gringo Killa refers to who Homicide is doing the move to, so it's all up in the air.