DVDVR Message Board

The Coolest Names For Wrestling Moves/Holds

DEAN

Joey Styles' habit of taking a Japanese move name and sticking someone else's name in it was just horrible, in retrospect. Space Flying Kronus Drop? No, lad.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

Joey Styles' habit of taking a Japanese move name and sticking someone else's name in it was just horrible, in retrospect. Space Flying Kronus Drop? No, lad.

Oh yeah, SPACE FLYING TIGER DROP might be the coolest move name

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Spontaneous said:

La Mistica, when done right, both sounds and looks awesome.

That reminds me of Chapparita Asari's SKY TWISTER PRESS.

I grew up without cable so there was a lot of wrestling stuff I was interested in before I was able to see it.  I don't know if I first heard of this move on the back of an action figure or in a wrestling magazine, but when I heard that Lex Luger's finishing move was called the Human Torture Rack, I knew I needed to see it.

• Like 5

I may be the low vote on this and anything involving the word 'torture' immediately makes something cooler, but there is just something about calling it the Argentine Backbreaker. It's classy and vicious at the same time.

Burning Hammer might just be our winner. It's irrational, broken English, involves fire, involves a tool that can be used as a weapon, and it ended one of my favorite puro matches like a door slamming in the depths of Hell (to steal from Discharge). And that would be Kobashi vs. Akiyama, 12/23/00. That move even involves a Torture Rack position! 

Northern Lights Bomb is really cool too...

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, Spontaneous said:

Oh and my current favorite:

AXE-BOM-BAH!

Axe Bomber > Crooked Arm Lariat

which leads to:

Lariat (because Stan Hansen) > Russian Sickle > Swinging Clothesline > Clothesline from Hell (because what's so "from Hell" about it?)

Camel Clutch = la de a cabello > Steiner Recliner > The Colossal Clutch > The Accolade

STF >>>> STFU

Discus Punch > Spinning Punch > Tornado Punch

And just so Japanese names don't always win here: I honestly think Spinning Back Fist > Uraken

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Swinging Clothesline > Clothesline from Hell (because what's so "from Hell" about it?)

That reminds me of the best old school move name, SWINGING NECK BREAKER.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

I grew up without cable so there was a lot of wrestling stuff I was interested in before I was able to see it.  I don't know if I first heard of this move on the back of an action figure or in a wrestling magazine, but when I heard that Lex Luger's finishing move was called the Human Torture Rack, I knew I needed to see it.

And then he went to the WWF, where the move was briefly known as the Rebel Rack. Just awful.

• Like 2

Best: Koko B. Ware - The Ghostbuster

Worst: Koko B. Ware - The Birdbuster

I honestly don't know why it ended up being called "The Ghostbuster" there for awhile, but I love it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DEAN said:

I thought Splash Mountain was always from the top corner.

Same.

3 hours ago, Spontaneous said:

BURN-ING HAM-MAH!

Winner. The man using the move, Kenta Kobashi. The move itself nobody kicked out of. The name of said move and how it was very rarely used.

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Same.

Winner. The man using the move, Kenta Kobashi. The move itself nobody kicked out of. The name of said move and how it was very rarely used.

I was thinking about that concept.  I would say TIGER DRIVER 91 sounded cool because Misawa was reluctant to use it unless everything else wouldn't work.  I love that shit.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DEAN said:

That reminds me- CATTLE MUTILATION.

I have to share Daniel Bryan's brilliant story about it in his must read autobiography, Yes: My Improbable Journey to the Main Event of Wrestlemania. Bryan popped seeing The Great Muta use it so began using it himself. Bryan described it as his double arm chickenwing thingy but Christopher Daniels said it was the Cattle Mutilation and that name stuck than the double arm chickenwing thingy. Bryan wanted to explain why he's use a move called that as a lover of animals and sometimes a vegetarian.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DEAN said:

I was thinking about that concept.  I would say TIGER DRIVER 91 sounded cool because Misawa was reluctant to use it unless everything else wouldn't work.  I love that shit.

I do as well. A move you rarely see and when it's hit, there's no kickout. Both that and the Burning Hammer are rightly protected.

• Like 1

Actually, EL MARTINETE is the best name for a Tombstone Piledriver because El Martinete means you've used an illegal move and you are automatically disqualified.  Which makes it a more EVIL move.

• Like 5

I think Kenta Kobashi used the Burning Hammer six times from 1998-2013:

Two to Mitsuharu Misawa in tag matches. The first was the move's debut in October 1998, AJPW.

vs. Mitsuharu Misawa for Misawa's GHC Heavyweight Championship in NOAH, 1st March 2003.

vs. Jun Akiyama for Kobashi's GHC Heavyweight Championship. NOAH, 10th July 2004.

vs. Akira Taue for Kobashi's GHC Heavyweight Championship. The debut of the Wrist Clutch Burning Hammer. NOAH, 10th September 2004.

vs. KENTA. Wrist Clutch Burning Hammer. NOAH, 5th March 2006.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2