DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 3/17/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Dakota/Starke was solid. Dug the post match with Io delivering the contract. Going off of the backstage interview with Raquel and Dakota it definitely feels like the two will be breaking up soon. 

Looking forward to Shotzi/Ember vs. the Robert Stone brand next week though I wish they weren't given a title shot so easily.

LA Knight's debut was fine. I like him as a character though it feels like he should be on Raw or Smackdown opposed to NXT. Reed should be a good first feud for him. 

Not excited for Escobar/Devlin. Devlin is on my can fuck off list so I will likely be skipping that match when it presumably happens at Takeover: Stand and Deliver.

Ciampa vs. Barthel was nice while it lasted. Never watched Ringkampf, but I liked Barrett straight up confirming Imperium is Rignkampf and acknowledging the history with Thatcher. It was good seeing Walter again. him vs. Ciampa at Takeover should be good.

Did not like the Finn & Kross going for the tag titles. There was just no scenario I think I could have liked them going in that route. At least they didn't actually win the belts though it looks liek Burch may have ended up injured. The ending with Kross beating down Finn & Oney was what it was. Kross is just not a guy I can get into at the moment.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

I'm hoping Finn retains as well. Would rather he dropped the belt to O'Reilly, Escobar, or maybe Thatcher if he joins Imperium.

Cool we're in agreements. I forgot Escobar and Thatcher. Good shouts those. 

O'Reilly, Dunne, Strong, Escobar, Thatcher over Kross as the next NXT Champion. Of those names, I'd go with Strong first.

Never thought I would see Pro Wrestling Diana footage on WWE tv but here we are. Excited to see Sarray finally after hearing so much about her.

So glad WALTER is back. Who knows for how long but I hope they do the WALTER/Finn match while he's here.

Main event kinda fell apart after the Danny injury but I'm glad they Finn and Kross didn't win like I feared.

Shame that Dakota/Zoey had to settle for being the second best women's match of the night. Dakota is really fun when her timing is on.

Walter returning is acceptable compensation for having to watch Jordan Devlin's very inferior CW champion act.

The main event angle was about the worst use of all 4 guys imaginable, and I love all of them. They're killing Kross' mystique by having him talk like a normal person, and he's like the one guy that should absolutely not be in any slopped-together tag match. Burch/Lorcan are great workers but have credibility issues stemming from being a JTTS team for so long, and now being Pete Dunne's goons, so they should absolutely not be taking on the top singles guys thrown-together team. The match was already doomed, but then Burch got hurt and it somehow dug deeper. Balor sold more for Lorcan than he did for Cole or O'Reilly, which makes no sense. Scarlett going from mystical puppetmaster to fragile woman was stupid, and since they've never really fleshed out a personal connection between her and Kross, her bump setting him off rang hollow. Then the champ who has looked unassailable for months, jobs to a tag guy's singles finisher (tough to say if that's actually his finisher since he so rarely wins on his own), and the tag guy doesn't even get a little rub because he immediately gets beaten down by the other singles guy. Just terrible stuff. They got back on track somewhat with the actual beatdown, firmly establishing Kross as the heel, and the Scarlett setup for the Misawa running elbow was nice, but overall, it completely ruined months of great booking for everyone involved. I almost wonder if Vince decided he needed to offer some "input" since it's Mania season because this was a very Raw-like segment that no one who has been following NXT would (or at least should) write.

I watch these shows back to back on Thursdays as my work schedule permits, so I'm not sure of the live timing, but did the aforementioned putrid main event segment go head to head with Britt/Rosa? If so, yikes.

• Like 1