DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/17/2021

Dolfan in NYC

9 minutes ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

The only thing that killed the main event even 1% was Tony saying Rosa was crying after she won. I didn't notice if that was the case and just rewatched the YouTube clip they posted of the final 7-8 minutes. Let us enjoy knowing they put up a brawl that was beyond worthy of "for a women's match" caveats. This is my second favorite women's match behind the Bayley/Sasha IronMan. Everyone loves the Brooklyn match and it's awesome but I liked the IronMan more because of Sasha being the biggest shitty heel that ever heeled. But back to Britt/Rosa, I agree that Britt was talking about star ratings and making Jericho proud and shit because it was a candid segment. In the same few minutes she talked about her mother fondly, not really heel stuff.

Welcome to the club made up of me, @Greggulator and you saying the Bayley/Sasha Banks Iron Man match from NXT TakeOver: Respect 2015 is better than the NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn bout. Always felt that way.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Dog said:

I don't know how anyone can say Omega isn't a great heel. Between last week and tonight's finger-snapping entrance, I've never wanted to see someone get beaten up more in my life. I've literally never punched a person, but I might even take a swing at him if we walked up to me like that.

HOW DID I FORGET THIS SHIT WITH THE WORLD'S CHAMP

Look, I get it, this whole Callis stable is meant to be a bunch of shitdick heels. Fine. I'd rather dislike them for their actual intended actions than things which aren't being directed by the narrative. The "no thigh slap" shirt was fucking atrocious. EVERYONE AROUND YOU DOES IT AND NO ONE POINTED OUT THE IRONY. See, THAT'S how you show a heel, point out hypocrisy, they respond like "whaaaaaa?? Meeeeee?? No, YOU AND ALL THESE PEOPLE ARE THE ASSHOLES" and no one did that. I am beyond disliking Kenny at this point, I don't like him being on the screen. Like, at all. Other than to get a chair into the ring for the angle, why wasn't there any followup on what appeared to be an idea for some promo he was going to cut while sitting in it. 

The main event heel stable is so unfocused and annoying that I POPPED FOR THE BUCKS DOING A RUN-IN because something interesting might happen. I appreciate their unusual restraint in not having the Bucks blast Callis and Kenny with superkicks but I honestly hate seeing any of them on TV at this point. 

EDIT: And where was the strap? Have your belt on TV! Fuck! Guess it was backstage with Christian's promo and how the fuck was his first promo not in front of an audience? 

Edited by Sex Machine Gun
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

Can someone please clue me in on why everyone shits on Shawn Spears? I don't think I've even seen him wrestle on TV in a year and can't remember at all if he's any good.

He's fine, there's just nothing special about him.  He's very very bland and seems to try to make up for it by tacking on gimmicks.  Even MJF couldn't figure out something compelling to say so he was just like, "this is the chairman...ummmm...fuck with him and he'll.....uhhhhhh.....hit you with a chair!  Whew!  Good enough.  On to FTR!"  I'm serious, they should have given him a new character right there.  Make him a guy who came up at the same time as Cody, in the same system, but had none of Cody's advantages and had to scratch and claw and do horrible things just to stay in wrestling.  He's a desperate man, a cockroach, a dangerous scumbag.  Fuck with him and find out.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

He's fine, there's just nothing special about him.  He's very very bland and seems to try to make up for it by tacking on gimmicks.  Even MJF couldn't figure out something compelling to say so he was just like, "this is the chairman...ummmm...fuck with him and he'll.....uhhhhhh.....hit you with a chair!  Whew!  Good enough.  On to FTR!"  I'm serious, they should have given him a new character right there.  Make him a guy who came up at the same time as Cody, in the same system, but had none of Cody's advantages and had to scratch and claw and do horrible things just to stay in wrestling.  He's a desperate man, a cockroach, a dangerous scumbag.  Fuck with him and find out.

Spears was also one of the first ship-jumpers, he requested his release from WWE as opposed to being let go. I think he was always meant to be a sales pitch to other disgruntled WWE guys - "hey, look at this unappreciated undercard WWE act! We gave him the push that Vince wouldn't. We made him a star, and we can do the same for you!" Other guys have come in and proved that point, but Spears was their first crack at it. So they tried way too hard and threw way too many gimmicks at him.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2

Spears would be better off as an "associate" of Pinnacle, always trying to be in the group, always getting his ass kicked for them, while they secretly laugh at him behind his back.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

And where was the strap? Have your belt on TV! Fuck! Guess it was backstage with Christian's promo and how the fuck was his first promo not in front of an audience? 

Don't want to make the Sting interview in front of the people seem less special. And we must have a Sting "interview" in front of the people.

• Like 1

Christian’s promo was the first time I started to think there might actually be something to these theories that he’s actually a heel.  I mean, if the way he’s acting right now isn’t some type of cover for being a heel, then he has decided on the most boring babyface character imaginable.  Which seems hard to believe, for a guy as savvy as Christian.

There isn't much to add in regards to Rosa-Baker. Nasty brawl. Watched it back to back with Ishikawa-Kasai from AJPW. I was impressed that they kept up with and surpassed two experienced death match wrestlers. 

I just realized Kip Sabian and Shawn Spears are two different people... I don't watch a lot of AEW.

6 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Christian's never been the most exciting babyface character, so nothing really rubbed me wrong about his promo. And I'm assuming he's expecting goodwill over his return to action to carry him part of the way, so there's really no need for more sophisticated character stuff out of the gate.

Odd thought: There are some guys who are way better babyfaces (albeit de facto ones) when they act as heels because they come off as cool acting like dicks and I think Christian is one of them. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I thought I heard somewhere that he's actually a Sabres fan so there's your perfect gimmick if that's true: He wants to inflict pain on people so they feel the pain and agony of being a Sabres fan.

• Haha 1

They could've easily gotten a couple weeks out of Penta attempting to break Cody's arm only to be stopped or do it to somebody else. I'm sure Arn could've taken one for the team and walked around in a sling. But nah, instead Cody takes it and immediately no-sells it. Shit, couldn't even use a one-armed rollup?! Just... baffling. 

Also the whole Jurassic Express/Bear Country tension is fine to set up a match for them, but then this match totally suffered due to it. 

OH, and am I crazy or did it look like Mox handed Eddie a little razor shard when Kingston was taping up? 

• Like 2

Shawn Spears just needs a makeover. I don't know what the fuck he's doing with that hair and his suit was garbage.  The rest of the group looked like they took time to go out and find a suit and Spears won one off an Ebay auction.

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

arguably the best promo of Al Snow's career is a [babyface] variation of this right before his ECW title match against Shane Douglas.

"we started out the same year, came up together, but you got the breaks. Hey, you're a talented guy, and you got what you got, but I was better, and I never got those breaks. Until tonight."

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Spontaneous said:

Watched it back to back with Ishikawa-Kasai from AJPW

Where'd you find that at, if you don't mind? You can PM me if necessary. 

1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

OH, and am I crazy or did it look like Mox handed Eddie a little razor shard when Kingston was taping up? 

Nope, I caught that too. They could have been pretending but even if so that's some cool, subtle stuff to add. 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 2:36 PM, Leonidas said:

Here's what I'd like to happen: Britt costs Rosa the match and we get a feud blow off match between the two in a FIFTEEN FOOT TALL STEEL CAGE. Sorry I got excited.

Near enough! I'm happy. The unsanctioned match was fucking incredible. 

• Like 2

I don't think I can love Britt or Rosa any more than I do right now.   Even in defeat, Britt is still badass, and Rosa needed this win far more than Britt did.  This is the blow-off we all wanted to see come from this angle.  Now that Britt and Rosa have had a satisfying conclusion to their epic feud, I think it's time to put the title on the dentist.

Fenix vs. Angelico was the fucking bomb.

Dani Jordyn led Jade Cargill by the nose to an acceptable squash.

I would love for Cody vs. Penta to turn into a feud, but I fear that this will just be the beginning of the QT Marshall mid-card push that no one cares about.

Everything else was perfectly fine.

I am not the biggest fan of the Good Brothers, but I feel badly for them.  Even though I believe that the right team won for the right reasons, you still have Karl and Doc unable to handle Kingston 2 on 1 and then the dropped a match to a fledgling tag team.  Doesn't exactly make you excited to see them square off against an established superteam like the Bucks, nor does it bring gleam to the Impact tag-team titles.

If that match had been for the belts, we'd have new champs winning the titles from another fed in their home fed.  Part of me wishes that had happened because that is soooo old school NWA.

Oh, and fuck Shawn Spears.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1