DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/17/2021

Dolfan in NYC

38 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Call me a prude or a hater or whatever, but I think it may be a very good thing that the WWE has a no color policy for the women. ? 

They don't. They have a general no color policy, but don't get as uppity as they used to when people end up bleeding incidentally. 

• Like 1

My gut tells me this is going to be the most significant and influential women’s match since Bayley/Sasha in Brooklyn*.

*Obviously the Becky/Ronda/Charlotte Mania main event was historically significant, but in practice it was...just kind of a match.  I can’t imagine there are too many women aspiring to have that match in the same way they have clearly been aspiring to Bayley/Sasha in the years since Brooklyn, and will probably still be aspiring to Britt/Rosa years from now.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to make a difficult admission here.

I watched that, and had two thoughts, one of them has to do with the difficult admission.

One) This is a match of the year candidate. Great visuals. Great Heat. Great Hate. Great EVERYTHING.

Two) (the difficult part). There's still a little bit of me that's uncomfortable with such brawls between women. Not woke of me, I know. But I had that little twinge with "Women shouldn't be going through this" once or twice. Maybe because I lived through one too many "CAAAAATFIGHHHHTT" in ECW and "Bra and Panties" matches from WWF aggression area. I had to tell myself "Foz, this 2021. Get with the program. And enjoy it. Matches like this don't come around every day." Other than those small twinges (which I told to shut up) I enjoyed the match greatly.

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Peck said:

Britt and Thunder Rosa completely made up for the fucking abomination of Cody basically no-selling having his arm "broken" and pinning Penta with a flash roll-up.

I was complaining a week ago that it looked like Pentagon was kind of half assing it and more concerned about the gimmick.  Well that match kind of explains some of it

My only statement on any potential "controversy": Since I was a young man I have known that I will never be as comfortable around blood as anyone who has ever had a functional uterus. But dumb men on fucking twitter are about to clutch their big swingin' pearls like they saw something unacceptable.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

I had to tell myself "Foz, this 2021. Get with the program. And enjoy it. Matches like this don't come around every day.

It really helps if you've watched enough Joshi. They even had the second helping out throughout the match, which was a very nice touch. 

BTW, if you liked that match you should really watch this (thanks to our own Elsa)

• Thanks 1

I'm thinking they are going to have Cage align with Sting only to - swerve! - turn on him during a tag match against Team Taz. I'm half hoping they don't (because face Cage in AEW could be really fun) and I'm half hoping they play it for nostalgia/laughs if they do. Taz could have a lot of fun with the promos afterward. 

Archer vs Darby could be amazing. Archer vs Ospreay from the '19 NJ Cup was one of the best matches I've seen live. Darby can bump around every bit as well as Ospreay can. 

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Sad 1

I hope Britt getting even more sadistic when she bleeds becomes a regular part of her gimmick.  Only thing I didn't like was the tacks, it made no sense for Britt to bring them out if she was going for her submission finisher.  Tacks aren't going to make it hurt more, unless you stick them in her mouth or something.  Minor nitpick though.

Penta/Cody was shit , and both probably are to blame equally for that.  LU Pent was awesome, non-LU Pent is crappy.

I can't even describe how happy I am for the two women involved in that main event. Wild shit. Britt has improved so much, so quickly its unbelievable, and Rosa's maybe now officially the best woman they have not named Serena. And big ups to Rebel Not Reba for the queen sized table bump, we popped big for that in my house. 

• Like 9

Just now, Curt McGirt said:

It really helps if you've watched enough Joshi. They even had the second helping out throughout the match, which was a very nice touch. 

BTW, if you liked that match you should really watch this (thanks to our own Elsa)

That match is crazy, but the match between Ozaki and Dynamite Kansai from early 95 in JWP was on a different level. That was hellacious. Doesn't help that I think Ozaki hit an artery on Kansai blading her underneath the ring apron. That was like 0.75 on the Mass Transit scale. When Ozaki lets out a primal scream after successfully pinning Kansai as that was probably her first big victory over Kansai, it feels like your favorite player just won the Super Bowl or their first NBA Finals after years of futility and soul crushing, heartbreaking defeats. That match transcended gender and language in pro wrestling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

Not to be a blood sucking freak, but I hope this Rosa vs Britt match turns into a good ol' fashioned, southern-style bloodbath. At some point, I want Britt to be busted open and bleeding everywhere and then Rosa takes her hand and smears the blood down the unpainted side of her face. I really stoked for this even though I know there might not be any juice. If this is the blowoff, someone's ass needs to get beaten badly.

FUCKING. AWESOME. 

Britt Baker tapped a gusher too. She's easily one of my favorite wrestlers right now. 

• Like 7

I'm not sure if Team Taz is breaking up for real or not, but I wonder if what they're going to end up doing is running Cage/Archer with the winner getting Darby for the title. Or doing Cage/Archer vs Sting/Darby either as a standalone or a pit stop. I won't bore everyone with fantasy booking, but I thought of a couple good ways they could get from there to Sting/Darby eventually if that's where we're heading next.

• Like 1

After tonight, I wanted to show my buddy the really good "into the Cage" documentary on Rosa leading up to her MMA match last year. Now that the NWA pulled their stuff off of Youtube, does anyone know where to find that feature?

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

If I have watched this it's been a long time and I don't remember. Going into the blood thread too

Look at the date...today is the 26th anniversary of that match (from a show aptly titled JWP JAZZ AND SOUL). It's like the gods willed it into existence.

• Like 2