DVDVR Message Board

You Can't Do That On RAW! - 3/15/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Just now, NoFistsJustFlips said:

It's been documented. Tickets were moving pretty slow for Wrestlemania 32 in Dallas. They announced this match on Raw on March 22nd and saw a huge surge in ticket sales immediately following the announcement. We're talking 5 digit movement in the days after it was announced. Your overall Mania name sells the tickets POV is generally true. But WM32 was the year they were trying to break 100,000 and they weren't even close less than a month out. They announced this and it got them pretty close to the legit 100k they wanted.

Now that you mention it. I remember reading those stories in 2016. Fair play. My counterpoint is that these tickets only sold because Undertaker was assured to be on the card. Maybe people threw down some money to see Shane die but Taker had to be the draw.

They ended up kayfabing the attendance number anyway, so whatever. The sad thing is that they aren't recognizing that their shitty booking and lack of starmaking was what caused sales to lag the way they did. Let's think about the rest of the card. Who's truly motivated by HHH/Reigns? Who wanted to see Dean Ambrose lose to an uninspired Lesnar? My favorite moment of that particular Wrestlemania is Sasha Banks's entrance (for a match that was ultimately fucked), and that's a bad sign when someone's favorite moment is an entrance rather than any angle or in-ring action.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

That's that little lump on the back of your neck, isn't it?

Orbital occipital protuberance.

And people said wrestling fandom was a waste of time.

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Best use of Mandy and Sonya were in a tag team with each other..  but ah well.  

Honestly, I kind of only half agree. During their feud last year it felt liek Sonya was coming into her own and easily could have worked as a singles wrestler. Mandy on other hand while improved didn't come across nearly as well. Mandy kind of needed Sonya, but I don;t think Sonya needed Mandy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Also has anyone had a more uneven Wrestlemania run than Braun?

WM32 -In Erick Rowan's corner vs The Rock.
WM33 -Wins Andre Battle Royal on Pre Show.
WM34 -Wins Raw Tag Belts with a child vs Sheamus & Cesaro.
WM35 -Lost Andre Battle Royal on Pre Show.
WM36 -Wins Universal Title as a throw away replacement vs Goldberg.
WM37 -Probably some weird gimmick match vs Shane McMahon.

Swap 33 & 35, but yeah a whole lot of awful.

9 hours ago, ErinQuinn said:

I'd be all for Charlotte ruining Alexa if it meant Ric visits the Funhouse and starts chopping and dropping elbows on puppets while making out with Abby the Witch

Now I'll wish for this knowing it'll never happen.

5 hours ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

I really, really doubt that Shane/Taker at WM32 sold a single goddamn ticket. Who the fuck wanted to see that, even at the time?

I know this was already touched on but I have 2 friends that were lapsed fans that came back because Shane was back and they're still watching now so WWE has probably made a decent chunk of money off of them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Best use of Mandy and Sonya were in a tag team with each other..  but ah well.  

Another example of this stupid fucking company refusing to keep viable acts together. Otis & Tucker, The Iiconics, Andrade & Zelina...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, just drew said:

Another example of this stupid fucking company refusing to keep viable acts together. Otis & Tucker, The Iiconics, Andrade & Zelina...

To be fair Mandy vs. Sonya was actually well done and should have led to bigger things, but the kidnapping attempt kind of screwed up their feud and momentum.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Soon to be The Hurt Business. 

I mean, it sucks, and I love the Hurt Business, but what else is there for Shelton and Cedric to do in this current configuration? I understand what you're saying, though. 

3 minutes ago, just drew said:

I mean, it sucks, and I love the Hurt Business, but what else is there for Shelton and Cedric to do in this current configuration? I understand what you're saying, though. 

Just be their representative in the tag division and help out Lashley when he needs them.  And wear suits.  it's better than anything they will be doing away from the stable. 

• Like 3

I watch Raw every week and I honestly have no idea if Braun is supposed to be a face or a heel. He's the face in this program with Shane but Lashley was positioned as the face when dealing with Miz, that didn't make him an actual face. The booking around him has been a mess for months.

Re: this actual Shane/Braun angle, I am convinced it has to be a rib on someone but I have no idea who. Probably the audience by this point...

2 hours ago, just drew said:

it still hurts.

and because it actually worked out with The Hart Foundation and The Rockers 30 years ago every tag team is now damned to this fate.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Sex Machine Gun said:

Now that you mention it. I remember reading those stories in 2016. Fair play. My counterpoint is that these tickets only sold because Undertaker was assured to be on the card. Maybe people threw down some money to see Shane die but Taker had to be the draw.

They ended up kayfabing the attendance number anyway, so whatever. The sad thing is that they aren't recognizing that their shitty booking and lack of starmaking was what caused sales to lag the way they did. Let's think about the rest of the card. Who's truly motivated by HHH/Reigns? Who wanted to see Dean Ambrose lose to an uninspired Lesnar? My favorite moment of that particular Wrestlemania is Sasha Banks's entrance (for a match that was ultimately fucked), and that's a bad sign when someone's favorite moment is an entrance rather than any angle or in-ring action.

One of the worst WrestleMania's ever. Only redeeming things about it is Charlotte Flair vs. Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch for the new WWE Women's Championship though that's marred by the wrong winner and the Ladder match for the WWE Intercontinental Championship with a surprise winner in Zack Ryder...who's lose it the next night on RAW to The Miz with the returning Maryse.

• Like 1