DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA XXXVII - 4/10-11/2021

Dolfan in NYC

The first show in more than a year to have a crowd, the biggest show of the year.  It's time.  

The Card (updated as they announce):  

FRIDAY, APRIL 9 (SmackDown Live)

THE ANDRE THE GIANT MEMORIAL BATTLE ROYALE

FATAL FOUR WAY FOR THE SMACKDOWN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - Dirty Dawgs (c) vs. Street Profits vs. The Mysterios vs. Alpha Academy

SATURDAY, APRIL 10

FOR THE WWE CHAMPIONSHIP - Bobby Lashley (c) vs. Drew McIntyre

FOR THE SMACKDOWN WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Sasha Banks (c) vs. Bianca Bel Air

FOR THE RAW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - The New Day (c) vs. AJ Styles/Omos

STEEL CAGE MATCH - Braun Strowman vs. Shane McMahon

#1 CONTENDER FOR THE WOMEN'S TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP TURMOIL MATCH - The Riott Squad vs. Lana/Naomi vs. Tamina/Natalya vs. Mandy Rose/Dana Brooke vs. Carmella/BILLIE KAY~

Bad Bunny & Damien Priest vs. The Miz & John Morrison

Seth Rollins vs. Cesaro

SUNDAY, APRIL 11

TRIPLE THREAT MATCH FOR THE WWE UNIVERSAL CHAMPIONSHIP - Roman Reigns (c) vs. Edge vs. Daniel Bryan

FOR THE RAW WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Asuka (c) vs. Rhea Ripley

NIGERIAN DRUM FIGHT FOR THE INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP - Big E (c) vs. Apollo Crews

FOR THE UNITED STATES CHAMPIONSHIP - Sheamus (c) vs. Big E

FOR THE WWE WOMEN'S TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - Nia Jax/Shayna Baszler (c) vs. Winners of Tag Team Turmoil Match

Kevin Owens vs. Sami Zayn

Randy Orton vs. The Fiend Bray Wyatt

--

Battle Royale Participants - Akira Tozawa, Angel Garza, Cedric Alexander, Drew Gulak, Elias, Erik, Gran Metalik, Humberto Carrillo, Jaxson Ryker, Jey Uso, Kalisto, King Baron Corbin, Lince Dorado, Mace, Murphy, Mustafa Ali, Ricochet, Shelton Benjamin, Shinsuke Nakamura, Slapjack, T-BAR, Tucker

• Thanks 1

Looking forward to Lashley vs. Drew McIntyre for the WWE Championship the most of the announced matches. Two physical wrestlers going at it. Your have thought either McIntyre was going into WrestleMania XXXVII as WWE Champion or win it back there. I think the momentum is with Lashley's so he'll retain. Both along with the Golden Role Models, The Hurt Business and Daniel Bryan were the few WWE highlights last year.

Expect shenanigans in Roman Reigns vs. Daniel Bryan at Fastlane for the WWE Universal Championship this weekend to turn Reigns/Edge into a triple threat match with Daniel Bryan. With WWE messing the booking up for WWE Smackdown Live Women's Champion Sasha Banks vs. Bianca Belair, not as sure it will go on last as I once was. Still think it will. Disgrace that Banks is 0-5 at the event. Bayley deserves something prominent after the 2020 she had. I'd say her vs. Io Shirai for Shirai NXT Women's Championship but there's another coronavirus outbreak in NXT.

@Dolfan in NYC: Cesaro vs. Seth Rollins as a probable match to your OP. Cheers.

Edited by The Natural

If AJ Styles and Omos win the WWE RAW Tag Team Championship which I think will be the case, AJ Styles becomes a Triple Crown Champion and a Grand Slam Champion:

WWE Champion.

WWE Intercontinental Champion.

WWE United States Champion.

WWE RAW Tag Team Champion.

Edited by The Natural

I'm just hoping to see a return of RNN Randy Orton injury updates during the Firefly Funhouse match.

Has Omos wrestled an actual match on Raw yet? I recall he was a part of Raw Underground.

I'm surprised they didn't bring back any Attitude era wrestlers for a cinematic match, especially being the first on Peacock. Not that I'm complaining, I'm glad they didn't.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

If AJ Styles and Omos win the WWE RAW Tag Team Championship which I think will be the case, AJ Styles becomes a Triple Crown Champion and a Grand Slam Champion:

WWE Champion.

WWE Intercontinental Champion.

WWE United States Champion.

WWE RAW Tag Team Champion.

When AJ brought this up, I kind of assumed the whole point of the title switch and the WM angle was to get the belt on him for that purpose.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

I don’t see how a FFH match will work with Orton’s character but hey, there’s nothing I can say

Great gag, first off.

Second, Orton's done the bullshit House of Horrors match or whatever it was. It gave us the dinge fridge! Come on, man!

I'm scared to see Omos in a match. With his size, that he hasn't worked a match at all on TV yet after months of exposure is telling. Dude must be sub-Khali level.

But I'm EXCITED to see live fans finally watching this product that's been in the making for a year now. I'm begging them to shit all over everything that deserves it, which will somehow shock all the people backstage not named McMahon or Dunn.

Lashley/Drew should be a good hoss fight. I like Drew but they've gotten about all the mileage they can out of him as champion. They'd be best served to keep the belt on Lashley for the summer while they heat up someone else.

I'm wondering if they try and re-do WM30 with Bryan getting inserted into the main event. On one hand the whole interjecting another party into a title match on that big an event rarely goes well, but on the other hand I have zero desire to see Edge in any type of main event. E&C vs Miz and Morrison (or slotting Edge into Priest's pairing with Bunny) and giving Bryan the Rumble win would have been a far better course of action, but it is what it is.

Didn't the Superbowl only allow people who had been vaccinated to attend?

I believe the Super Bowl was all fully vaccinated people. 

I would love to see Lashley vs Keith Lee slowly built to. More than likely though I expect McIntrye is winning so he can get his "Wrestlemania moment" in front of a crowd. 

I am glad the crowd won't be big. We have all spring and summer to fully expand. I want crowds back but I want it done safely. 

A portion of the Super Bowl crowd was fully vaxxed front line workers that the NFL gave free tickets to.  

The rest just had to have a couple of negative tests within something like 2 weeks of gameday.  Also, they had to give a lot of personal info for contact tracing, just in case.  Plus masks were enforced.  

If the WWE can do a lift and drop of that set up, they should be fine.  Seeing as how they have to set all that up in the next three weeks... lol

And yeah, either Lashley or Roman is losing their title, probably.  My guess is Lashley, which sucks.  But unless they're giving Daniel Bryan a final run with the belt, I don't see them taking the belt off Roman for old man Edge.  (Unless Roman is leaving to do a movie with Dwayne.)

20 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

And yeah, either Lashley or Roman is losing their title, probably.  My guess is Lashley, which sucks.  But unless they're giving Daniel Bryan a final run with the belt, I don't see them taking the belt off Roman for old man Edge.  (Unless Roman is leaving to do a movie with Dwayne.)

While it's possible Cedric/Shelton get the tag belts before then if Lashley loses and it leads to a Hurt Business split I will be absolutely furious.  I'm not saying that Roman should lose it either but there has to be a better way.  I would think Sasha losing to Bianca would suffice if it was main eventing night one but that might not be enough for some.

• Like 1

According to this article: https://www.tampabay.com/sports/pro-wrestling/2021/03/17/wrestlemania-to-be-held-at-36-percent-capacity/

Health and safety protocols at WrestleMania will include seating pods, social distancing, masks required, temperature checks, health screenings, cashless concessions and mobile ticketing. Free masks will be given upon entry, like at the Super Bowl.

Edited by nofuture

I don't care to make a prediction either way, but I would caution against anyone getting carried away assuming one of the top men's belt is likely to change hands just because. As recently as WrestleMania 34, both men's champs retained. And there's a better case for that here than there was on that show. 

Of course now that I've given voice to this thought, both Edge and Drew will win so I have the maximum amount of egg on my face.

Re: Omos

He hasn't had a match period (let alone RAW) since Feb 2020

The New Day video in the RAW had them referencing how he would be making his "WWE debut" at Mania and was the first person who would do that since Big E

Which clearly was wrong but whatever

32 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The New Day video in the RAW had them referencing how he would be making his "WWE debut" at Mania and was the first person who would do that since Big E

Which clearly was wrong but whatever

Let's see...

• Sting
  • Ronda Rousey
  • Nicholas
  • Colin Jost
  • Michael Che

And probably a few battle royal people I'm forgetting. 

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I don't care to make a prediction either way, but I would caution against anyone getting carried away assuming one of the top men's belt is likely to change hands just because. As recently as WrestleMania 34, both men's champs retained. And there's a better case for that here than there was on that show. 

Of course now that I've given voice to this thought, both Edge and Drew will win so I have the maximum amount of egg on my face.

The Rock and Goldberg winning the title, Batista and now Edge winning the Rumble, and Brock getting the belt any time he decides to come back shows there's a precedent for them putting a belt on some big name who decides to come out of retirement. Edge beating Roman would be an incredibly stupid idea, but it's totally on-brand for WWE.

• Like 1

Have Omos just watch that Shaq match from Dynamite over and over again and tell him to do that. You basically just need to be a slightly more mobile Khali and just let the New Day bump all over the place for you.

Ugh. Why couldn't Titus host it alone? Or at the very least get someone else to host it with him. Literally all anyone is going to talk about is the shitty optics of this. Titus makes sense in this spot as he's basically a community celebrity in Tampa for all the charity and community outreach he does. But Hogan already has a spot waving in the HOF deal so why did they need him in this spot?