DVDVR Message Board

Oscars 2021.

The Natural

11 hours ago, The Natural said:

My annual "When the Academy Awards fucked up post" with new additions...

The Dark Knight (2008) missing out on Best Picture and Best Director nominations. The rightful backlash meant the Best Picture category was expanded. Terrible snub. To this day, it's way up there as one of the worst mistakes made by the Academy Awards.

The Dark Knight (2008), WALL-E (2008) and Gran Torino (2008) should have received Best Picture nominations in 2009. WALL-E rightly won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature.

The Reader (2008) getting a Best Picture nom. Fuck that. What a piece of shit.

No Best Actor/Best Director nominations for Gran Torino (2008).

Let the Right One In (2008), no Foreign Language Film nod. Boo.

The Academy Awards really fucked up that year as seen in all the above.

Christian Bale wasn't nominated for his best acting, American Psycho (2000). Bale was the best actor in a leading role that year.

Memento (2000) missing out on Best Picture and Best Director nominations.

The Shawshank Redemption should have won Best Picture in 1994 over Forrest Gump which won said award. After Shawshank, Pulp Fiction.

Quentin Tarantino or Frank Darabont should've taken home Best Director that year but that also went to Forrest Gump's Robert Zemeckis.

Ellen Burstyn should have won Best Actress for Requiem for a Dream (2000). Julia Roberts won for Erin Brockovich. That's a really bad one. Really.

Ben Affleck not making the Best Director nominees for Argo (2012). That surprised everyone. Very wrong.

Rami Malek somehow winning Best Actor playing Freddie Mercury for Bohemian Rhapsody over Christian Bale's Dick Cheney in Vice (2018). Bullshit. Also bullshit that Taron Egerton wasn't even nominated for Rocketman (2019) playing Sir. Elton John and even did his own singing.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) deservedly won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature but it should have a Best Picture nomination and win to go with it.

Comic book movies deserving of Best Picture nominations...The Dark Knight (2008), Logan (2017), Avengers: Infinity War (2018), Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) and Avengers: Endgame (2019).

I'd have voted Shrek 2 (2004) over the winner of the Best Animated Feature, The Incredibles (2004)

R Lee Ermey and Vincent D'Onofrio missing out on Best Supporting Actor nominations for Full Metal Jacket (1987). I'd have voted for Ermey.

Sam Smith winning Best Original Song for "Writing's on the Wall" in Spectre (2015). Fuck right off. Wretched song.

No Best Supporting Actor nomination to Javier Bardem in Skyfall (2012). I'd have given Skyfall further nominations: Best Picture, Best Actor: Daniel Craig, Best Cinematography by Roger Deakins, Best Director: Sir. Sam Mendes and Dame Judi Dench for Best Supporting Actress.

The Lego Movie (2014) wasn't nominated for Best Animated Feature. Bad omission, that. Should have won it. Ditto The Lego Batman Movie (2017).

Gone Baby Gone deserved a Best Picture nomination in 2007.

Clint Eastwood missing out on the Academy Award for Best Actor in Unforgiven (1992).

Heath Ledger for Brokeback Mountain (2005) or Joaquin Phoenix for Walk the Line (2005) for the Academy Award for Best Actor. Phillip Seymour Hoffman won for Capote (2005).

Crash beating Brokeback Mountain for Best Picture in 2005. Infamous that.

Daft Punk not getting a Best Original Score nomination for TRON: Legacy.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Andy Serkis deserved an honorable mention at the very least. I don't care if you even want to snub Ian fuckin' McKellen, nobody ever did anything like that before. 

It's bullshit the Academy Awards don't recognize motion capture acring. Andy Serkis deserved a Best Supporting Actor nomination or even an Honorary Academy Award like Toy Story got.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2021 at 12:39 PM, The Natural said:

My annual "When the Academy Awards fucked up post" with new additions...

The Dark Knight (2008) missing out on Best Picture and Best Director nominations. The rightful backlash meant the Best Picture category was expanded. Terrible snub. To this day, it's way up there as one of the worst mistakes made by the Academy Awards.

The Dark Knight (2008), WALL-E (2008) and Gran Torino (2008) should have received Best Picture nominations in 2009. WALL-E rightly won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature.

The Reader (2008) getting a Best Picture nom. Fuck that. What a piece of shit.

No Best Actor/Best Director nominations for Gran Torino (2008).

Let the Right One In (2008), no Foreign Language Film nod. Boo.

The Academy Awards really fucked up that year as seen in all the above.

Christian Bale wasn't nominated for his best acting, American Psycho (2000). Bale was the best actor in a leading role that year.

Memento (2000) missing out on Best Picture and Best Director nominations.

The Shawshank Redemption should have won Best Picture in 1994 over Forrest Gump which won said award. After Shawshank, Pulp Fiction.

Quentin Tarantino or Frank Darabont should've taken home Best Director that year but that also went to Forrest Gump's Robert Zemeckis.

Ellen Burstyn should have won Best Actress for Requiem for a Dream (2000). Julia Roberts won for Erin Brockovich. That's a really bad one. Really.

Ben Affleck not making the Best Director nominees for Argo (2012). That surprised everyone. Very wrong.

Rami Malek somehow winning Best Actor playing Freddie Mercury for Bohemian Rhapsody over Christian Bale's Dick Cheney in Vice (2018). Bullshit. Also bullshit that Taron Egerton wasn't even nominated for Rocketman (2019) playing Sir. Elton John and even did his own singing.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) deservedly won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature but it should have a Best Picture nomination and win to go with it.

Comic book movies deserving of Best Picture nominations...The Dark Knight (2008), Logan (2017), Avengers: Infinity War (2018), Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) and Avengers: Endgame (2019).

I'd have voted Shrek 2 (2004) over the winner of the Best Animated Feature, The Incredibles (2004)

R Lee Ermey and Vincent D'Onofrio missing out on Best Supporting Actor nominations for Full Metal Jacket (1987). I'd have voted for Ermey.

Sam Smith winning Best Original Song for "Writing's on the Wall" in Spectre (2015). Fuck right off. Wretched song.

No Best Supporting Actor nomination to Javier Bardem in Skyfall (2012). I'd have given Skyfall further nominations: Best Picture, Best Actor: Daniel Craig, Best Cinematography by Roger Deakins, Best Director: Sir. Sam Mendes and Dame Judi Dench for Best Supporting Actress.

The Lego Movie (2014) wasn't nominated for Best Animated Feature. Bad omission, that. Should have won it. Ditto The Lego Batman Movie (2017).

Gone Baby Gone deserved a Best Picture nomination in 2007.

Clint Eastwood missing out on the Academy Award for Best Actor in Unforgiven (1992).

Heath Ledger for Brokeback Mountain (2005) or Joaquin Phoenix for Walk the Line (2005) for the Academy Award for Best Actor. Phillip Seymour Hoffman won for Capote (2005).

Crash beating Brokeback Mountain for Best Picture in 2005. Infamous that.

12 hours ago, J.T. said:

Daft Punk not getting a Best Original Score nomination for TRON: Legacy.

I'll second that.

I forgot one of the worst Academy Awards fouls ever in my post...Jake Gyllenhaal wasn't even nominated for Best Actor, Nightcrawler (2014)! Gyllenhaal should have won it. Baffled by no nomination.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

The Forrest Gump thing looks worse every year. They clearly should have let Zemeckis clean up the big awards the year Roger Rabbit was eligible. 

Yeah that one is bad but it most likely won due to Pulp Fiction and Shawshank splitting votes, Ordinary People winning over Raging Bull and Dances with Wolves winning over Goodfellas along with Redford and Costner winning Best Director over Scorsese is still way way worse.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Oh shit. Best Picture didn't go on last as I've always known it to. Best Actor was saved till after so you're thinking it's Chadwick Boseman winning posthumously. A moving and poignant win to somebody much loved to end the show. Nope, Sir. Anthony Hopkins. Wow.

Edited by The Natural

31 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

That smoke you smell is the internet lighting itself on fire because Chadwick lost for a movie they haven't seen to Hopkins in a movie they havent seen.

The format change didn't help either. Best Picture has gone on last for as long as I can remember. Producers bet on Chadwick Boseman winning in a "feel good moment", I say that very loosely as tragically Boseman isn't here. The Academy and the producers are getting a kicking for that. I like Sir. Anthony Hopkins but I'll never watch The Father due to the subject matter. I've lost my Nan, Uncle and Neighbour to the dreadful disease, dementia.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Sure Academy, it's not like I wanted to see clips of the nominees or anything. Moving Best Picture to third from the bottom in the hopes of Chadwick winning is obviously going to get the most coverage, but showing almost no clips (or even stills in the case of awards like costume or production design) was the worst part for me. I hope you didn't expect to actually see the movies on our movies awards show

• Like 2

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

The format change didn't help either. Best Picture has gone on last for as long as I can remember. Producers bet on Chadwick Boseman winning in a "feel good moment", I say that very loosely as tragically Boseman isn't here. The Academy and the producers are getting a kicking for that.

It was good for Kayfabe though. No one’s wondering if everything is rigged right now. Like Flair occasionally hitting a move from the top.

• Like 3

Whoever produced that piece of shit should be fired into the sun. No wacky host bullshit? Big plus, but instead fill  that with trivia of people we've never heard of or will again and  speeches that  go on forever. The perfect Oscars(or any award show really) is minimum of bullshit from host, tons of clips and a montage or two. Not that hard to do I would think. Then they wonder why the rating are in the toilet.

Edited by Kuetsar
  • Like 1

We all know Sir. Anthony Hopkins first Academy Award for Best Actor came from:

The Silence of the Lambs (1991). Last film to pick up the top five Academy Awards: Best Picture (Ronald M. Bozman/Edward Saxton/Kenneth Utt), Best Actor (Sir. Anthony Hopkins), Best Actress (Jodie Foster), Best Director (Jonathan Demme) and Best Adapted Screenplay (Ted Tally). 

Edited by The Natural