DVDVR Message Board

Oscars 2021.

The Natural

Nominations today. Fancy Chadwick Boseman (Ma Rainey's Black Bottom) to become only the third actor to win a posthumous Academy Award for acting after Peter Finch (Network) and Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight). 

Feel free to speculate on nominees, winners and times when the Academy Awards fucked up in snubs and winners! I say this every year, there needs to be Academy Awards for Best Stunts and Motion Capture Performances. Come on, man.

And the nominees are:

Best Supporting Actress

Spoiler

Maria Bakalova, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm

Glenn Close, Hillbilly Elegy

Olivia Colman, The Father

Amanda Seyfried, Mank

Yuh-Jung Youn, Minari

Best Costume Design

Spoiler

Emma

Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Mank

Mulan

Pinocchio

Best Original Score

Spoiler

Da 5 Bloods

Mank

Minari

News of the World

Soul

Best Adapted Screenplay

Spoiler

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm

The Father

Nomadland

One Night in Miami

The White Tiger

Best Original Screenplay

Spoiler

Judas and the Black Messiah

Minari

Promising Young Woman

Sound of Metal

The Trial of the Chicago 7

Best Animated Short Film

Spoiler

Burrow

Genius Loci

If Anything Happens I Love You

Opera

Yes-People

Best Live Action Short Film

Spoiler

Feeling Through

The Letter Room

The Present

Two Distant Strangers

White Eye

Best Supporting Actor

Spoiler

Sacha Baron Cohen, The Trial of the Chicago 7

Daniel Kaluuya, Judas and the Black Messiah

Leslie Odom, Jr., One Night in Miami

Paul Raci, Sound of Metal

Lakeith Stanfield, Judas and the Black Messiah

Best Documentary Feature

Spoiler

Collective

Crip Camp

The Mole Agent

My Octopus Teacher

Time

Best Documentary Short Subject

Spoiler

Colette

A Concerto Is a Conversation

Do Not Split

Hunger Ward

A Love Song for Latasha

Best International Feature

Spoiler

Another Round (Denmark)

Better Days (Hong Kong)

Collective (Romania)

The Man Who Sold His Skin (Tunisia)

Quo Vadis, Aida? (Bosnia-Herzegovina)

Best Sound

Spoiler

Greyhound

Mank

News of the World

Soul

Sound of Metal

Best Production Design

Spoiler

The Father

Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Mank

News of the World

Tenet

Best Film Editing

Spoiler

The Father

Nomadland

Promising Young Woman

Sound of Metal

Best Cinematography

Spoiler

Mank

News of the World

Nomadland

Best Visual Effects

Spoiler

Love and Monsters

The Midnight Sky

Mulan

The One and Only Ivan

Tenet

Best Makeup and Hairstyling

Spoiler

Emma

Hillbilly Elegy

Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Mank

Pinocchio

Best Animated Feature

Spoiler

Onward

Over the Moon

A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon

Soul

Wolfwalkers

Best Original Song

Spoiler

“Fight For You,” Judas and the Black Messiah, Music by H.E.R. and Dernst Emile II; Lyric by H.E.R. and Tiara Thomas

“Hear My Voice,” The Trial of the Chicago 7, Music by Daniel Pemberton; Lyric by Daniel Pemberton and Celeste Waite

“Husavik,” Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga,  Music and Lyric by Savan Kotecha, Fat Max Gsus and Rickard Göransson

“Io sì (Seen),” The Life Ahead, Music by Diane Warren; Lyric by Diane Warren and Laura Pausini

“Speak Now,“ One Night in Miami, Music and Lyric by Leslie Odom, Jr. and Sam Ashworth

Best Actor

Spoiler

Riz Ahmed, Sound of Metal

Chadwick Boseman, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Anthony Hopkins, The Father

Gary Oldman, Mank

Steven Yeun, Minari

Best Actress

Spoiler

Viola Davis, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom

Andra Day, The United States vs Billie Holiday

Vanessa Kirby, Pieces of a Woman

Frances McDormand, Nomadland

Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman

Best Director

Spoiler

Thomas Vinterberg, Another Round

David Fincher, Mank

Lee Isaac Chung, Minari

Chloe Zhao, Nomadland

Emerald Fennell, Promising Young Woman

Best Picture

Spoiler

The Father

Mank

Minari

Nomadland

Promising Young Woman

Sound of Metal

• Thanks 1

I have two things to say about Mank...

I tried watching 30 minutes of Mank around the time it came out. That's as far as I made it and I have no desire to slog through the rest.

And...

One day Hollywood will stop fucking loving movies about Hollywood so much. Narrator: "They won't"

Also, the most academy thing ever would be to give the win to Trial of the Chicago 7 instead of Judas and the Black Messiah, right? I haven't seen everything on the best picture list (Nomadland, Minari, and the Father are the ones I haven't seen), but I have a hard time believing anything is better than Judas and the Black Messiah. MAYBE Sound of Metal. Trial of the Chicago 7 is just...man...fuck Aaron Sorkin.

I saw Nomadland this weekend, and it's fucking incredible. Based on her competition, I don't think Frances McDormand will win, but holy shit is she heartbreaking and incredible in it. 

Watched Mank, thought it was fine.  Definitely was Oscar bait, but not actively offensive. 

Still haven't seen the others yet.  I thought about Promising Young Woman, but eh, it's $20 on Amazon and I haven't seen anything that tells me it's that good.  Maybe now I'll do it though. 

Also, back in 2015 when I (humblebrag) saw Hamilton on Broadway, I said that guy who plays Aaron Burr is a future superstar.  Today, he's pulled off the feat of being nominated twice in the same night. 

Glenn Close nominated for an Oscar and a Razzie for the same role. Believe that's only the third time that's happened (James Coco in Only When I Laugh and Amy Irving in Yentl are the others).

Edited by colonial

3 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

So Judas and the Black Messiah gets nominated on the same day it gets removed from HBO Max?

Gotta pump up the DVD and Digital purchases somehow

The funniest thing is that Borat (Subsequent Moviefilm) is nominated for "Best Adapted Screenplay". I doubt that whatever they were using the shoot the film either was "adapted" or a "screenplay" (at least in the usual sense, or are "reality" TV shows eligible for "Outstanding Writing in Comedy/Drama Series" awards?).

Edited by Robert s

30 minutes ago, Robert s said:

The funniest thing is that Borat (Subsequent Moviefilm) is nominated for "Best Adapted Screenplay". I doubt that whatever they were using the shoot the film either was "adapted" or a "screenplay" (at least in the usual sense, or are "reality" TV shows eligible for "Outstanding Writing in Comedy/Drama Series" awards?).

Borat is now only the 2nd series where both the original and the sequel were nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay....Godfather 1 and 2 being the other.

Delroy Lindo is my biggest snub, I would have dropped Sascha Baron Cohen and put him in instead.

Kaluuya getting a supporting nom is weird, but that's completely a decision by the producers. They probably figure no one is beating Boseman for lead, so they put him up as supporting to better the chances of a win.

I loved Mank, it's 100% divorced from reality, but it was a great movie. Shouldn't win, but definitely deserved the nom. I need to catch up on a few of the best picture nominees, really looking forward to Minari.

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Off the top of my head, the only 2020 movie i may have sen is. Heaven help me, Wonder Woman. 

Your Sonic the Hedgehog erasure is noted Mark.  ?

9 hours ago, elizium said:

Borat is now only the 2nd series where both the original and the sequel were nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay....Godfather 1 and 2 being the other.

I can't remember where I read that today, maybe filmdrunk, but they apparently didn't consider threequels. Fellowship of the Ring and Return of the King both got adapted noms too, but Two Towers didn't

17 hours ago, EVA said:

Crazy to think that JUDAS AND THE BLACK MESSIAH didn’t have a lead actor!  What a movie!

Shit, Titanic won eleven oscars without any actors based on the awards.

10 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Shit, Titanic won eleven oscars without any actors based on the awards.

Titanic had two actor-nominations, Return of the King won 11 awards with zero nominated actors.

Edited by Robert s
  • Thanks 1

My annual "When the Academy Awards fucked up post" with new additions...

The Dark Knight (2008) missing out on Best Picture and Best Director nominations. The rightful backlash meant the Best Picture category was expanded. Terrible snub. To this day, it's way up there as one of the worst mistakes ever made by the Academy Awards.

The Dark Knight (2008), WALL-E (2008) and Gran Torino (2008) should have received Best Picture nominations in 2009. WALL-E rightly won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature.

The Reader (2008) getting a Best Picture nom. Fuck that. What a piece of shit.

No Best Actor/Best Director nominations for Clint Eastwood, Gran Torino (2008).

Let the Right One In (2008), no Foreign Language Film nod. Boo.

The Academy Awards really fucked up that year as seen in all the above.

Christian Bale wasn't nominated for his best acting, American Psycho (2000). Bale was the best actor in a leading role that year.

Memento (2000) missing out on Best Picture and Best Director nominations for Christopher Nolan.

The Shawshank Redemption should have won Best Picture in 1994 over Forrest Gump which won said award. After Shawshank, Pulp Fiction.

Quentin Tarantino or Frank Darabont should've taken home Best Director that year but that also went to Forrest Gump's Robert Zemeckis.

Ellen Burstyn should have won Best Actress for Requiem for a Dream (2000). Julia Roberts won for Erin Brockovich. That's a really bad one. Really.

Jake Gyllenhaal wasn't even nominated for Best Actor, Nightcrawler (2014). Gyllenhaal should have won it. Baffled by no nomination. One of the worst mistakes in the history of the Academy Awards.

Ben Affleck not making the Best Director nominees for Argo (2012). That surprised everyone. Very wrong.

Rami Malek somehow winning Best Actor playing Freddie Mercury for Bohemian Rhapsody over Christian Bale's Dick Cheney in Vice (2018). Bullshit. Also how Taron Egerton wasn't even nominated for Rocketman (2019) playing Sir. Elton John and even did his own singing.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) deservedly won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature but it should have a Best Picture nomination and win to go with it.

Comic book movies deserving of Best Picture nominations...The Dark Knight (2008), Logan (2017), Avengers: Infinity War (2018), Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018), Avengers: Endgame (2019) and Joker (2019). Only one to get a BP nom, Joker.

I'd have voted Shrek 2 (2004) over the winner of the Best Animated Feature, The Incredibles (2004).

Clint Eastwood missing out on the Academy Award for Best Actor in Unforgiven (1992).

R Lee Ermey and Vincent D'Onofrio missing out on Best Supporting Actor nominations for Full Metal Jacket (1987). I'd have voted for Ermey.

Sam Smith winning Best Original Song for "Writing's on the Wall" in Spectre (2015). Fuck right off. Wretched song.

No Best Supporting Actor nomination to Javier Bardem in Skyfall (2012). I'd have given Skyfall further nominations: Best Picture, Best Actor: Daniel Craig, Best Cinematography by Roger Deakins, Best Director: Sir. Sam Mendes and Dame Judi Dench for Best Supporting Actress.

The Lego Movie (2014) wasn't nominated for Best Animated Feature. Bad omission, that. Should have won it. Ditto The Lego Batman Movie (2017).

Gone Baby Gone deserved a Best Picture nomination in 2007.

Heath Ledger for Brokeback Mountain (2005) or Joaquin Phoenix for Walk the Line (2005) for the Academy Award for Best Actor. Phillip Seymour Hoffman won for Capote (2005).

Crash beating Brokeback Mountain for Best Picture in 2005. Infamous that.

Daft Punk not getting a Best Original Score nomination for TRON: Legacy (2010).

Edited by The Natural

On 3/16/2021 at 1:06 PM, Robert s said:

Return of the King won 11 awards with zero nominated actors.

Andy Serkis deserved an honorable mention at the very least. I don't care if you even want to snub Ian fuckin' McKellen, nobody ever did anything like that before. 

• Like 1