DVDVR Message Board

THE FALCON AND THE WINTER SOLDIER (Many Spoilers HERE~!)

RIPPA

Man, this episode had some great performances.  Of course, Wyatt Russell is at the top of the list.  When I saw he was cast as the new Cap, I thought they were going to make him a bumbling mascot or something like that.  I'd only seen him in Lodge 49 playing a lovable loser.  I had no idea he could pull off being menacing like he has.  

Carl Lumby was the other MVP this week.  His scene with Sam was great.  He really towed that line between sadness and anger really well.

Really, I thought everyone was really strong this week.  I can't wait to see where they go for the finale.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

Yeah, I've got no clue what's going on with Sharon.  I've been bracing for the big Zemo double cross that I feel is coming, but has somehow not gone down.

Unless next week’s episode is unusually long, I don’t see things being set up for Zemo to escape Wakanda and take part in the final battle.  His role seems like it will just be the voice in Bucky’s head telling him to kill Karli.  If anything, I could see a post credits bit where Contessa intercepts him before he gets to Wakanda.  

So with de Fontaine in play, it's entirely possible Sharon is actually in the starting up Femme Force, and is involved in whatever the Contessa is trying to recruit Walker for.  

Or de Fontaine is actually the Power Broker, which is possible.

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Femme Force seems awfully obscure but it does seem like a decent chance they're setting up the Thunderbolts.

Makes sense.  Fontaine can't assume the mantle of Madame Hydra since nearly every member of MCU Hydra is either dead or in jail, right?

Edited by J.T.

11 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Makes sense.  Fontaine can't assume the mantle of Madame Hydra since nearly every member of MCU Hydra is either dead or in jail, right?

Cut off one head, three more grow back.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Casey said:

Crazy that her involvement in the MCU has been kept a secret for this long. Although Tony Hale came dangerously close to spilling the beans about it after Veep finished, apparently.

Not that close. Here's what I've been led to believe is the excerpt in question.

Holofcener is hoping to direct Louis-Dreyfus again. Hale wants his friend to portray a cartoon heavy: “Selina was so atrocious, but then you loved her at the same time. And I think that makes a really good Disney villain.” Mandel is advocating for a more sinister role: a Marvel antagonist, an idea that sparks something in Louis-Dreyfus when I relay it to her. “Swinging around on wires and kicking people in the face,” she says with a laugh. “Shooting fire out of whatever you shoot fire out of. I would dig that.”

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/08/julia-louis-dreyfus-emmys-cover-story?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&mbid=social_twitter&utm_social-type=owned&utm_brand=vf

Feature was published in August 2019. So I guess they knew something. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati

Just saw the episode 5. I loved it. The fight with Walker in the beginning was good, but what I really dug was all the character moments with Sam, Bucky, Walker, Josiah, Zemo, etc. It was a come down as far as action went, but he drama was there, especially when Sam & Josiah had their more deep discussion.

Definitely curious to see where things go as far as Sharon and her allegiances. I figured she was working for Fury, but now I have no idea. Loved

Spoiler

seeing the Contessa appear and am looking forward to seeing what they are planning with her. Perhaps she puts together Thunderbolts.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Casey said:

I'm gonna put the cameo stuff behind a spoiler box, because Variety reported something about a future movie.

Hide contents

Julia-Louis Dreyfus' Fontaine was apparently supposed to debut in Black Widow. If it still happens - post credits scene, recruiting Yelena? I mean, it sure seems like she's setting up a team, so...

Crazy that her involvement in the MCU has been kept a secret for this long. Although Tony Hale came dangerously close to spilling the beans about it after Veep finished, apparently.

Okay, anyway. What the fuck is going on with Sharon? I'm confused by this. Is she the Power Broker? She basically paid Batroc to go help the Flag Smashers and in return they'd help him kill Sam. Maybe they're waiting until the finale to do the swerve where she's secretly working against the Broker, or playing both sides, or whatever. Maybe it was because of the cameo, and how heavy this episode was, but I just couldn't connect the dots with the Sharon/Batroc stuff.

I've seen toy leaks of Sam's Wakandan made suit and it's pretty badass.

Glad to see more people join me on the Sharon Power Broker Train (y'know, the old SPBT). 

I'm not nearly up on my comics enough to know who the Contessa character was, I was just thinking that members of this board would be excited about the Seinfeld connection. Seems they could go a few directions with her, good stuff! 

Is it just happy coincidence that Sam Wilson is called Sam so that his nephews can constantly refer to him as Uncle Sam as he's umming and aahing over whether to become Captain America? 

10 hours ago, Eivion said:

Just saw the episode 5. I loved it. The fight with Walker in the beginning was good, but what I really dug was all the character moments with Sam, Bucky, Walker, Josiah, Zemo, etc. It was a come down as far as action went, but he drama was there, especially when Sam & Josiah had their more deep discussion.

The man's name is Isaiah.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I’m leaning towards Dark Avengers over Tbolts btw. Unless Zemo gets recruited next episode.

I think it will probably some mix of the two, like it will mostly be some variation of the Dark Avengers but with Zemo and called the Thunderbolts. It would be almost impossible for them to pull off the initial Thunderbolts reveal in the movie.

I had forgotten all about the retcon with Contessa as a Russian spy and Madame Hydra.

Surprised the reaction to the episode was mixed. I wound up really liking it. It felt like one of those X-Men or Avengers comic book issues where the team really doesn't have anything to do and you basically just get to see them chilling or see what their lives are like. It was good to also get a lot of this stuff out of the way so nothing is left dangling in the finale.

I'm going to be pretty bummed if this series is one and done like Wandavision.

• Like 1