DVDVR Message Board

THE FALCON AND THE WINTER SOLDIER (Many Spoilers HERE~!)

RIPPA

So I am slowly shifting from my "Flag-Smashers are the new Buckies set up to make the new Cap look good," theory to the "Zemo is secretly the boss of the Flag-Smashers and wants to finish what he started in Civil War," theory.

Cap lopping off Nico's head with the shield in last week's episode kinda broke my earlier hypothesis.  I don't think the help would down with being deliberately murdered by the guy they're assigned to prop up.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

So I am slowly shifting from my "Flag-Smashers are the new Buckies set up to make the new Cap look good," theory to the "Zemo is secretly the boss of the Flag-Smashers and wants to finish what he started in Civil War," theory.

Cap lopping off Nico's head with the shield in last week's episode kinda broke my earlier hypothesis.  I don't think the help would down with being deliberately murdered by the guy they're assigned to prop up.

He didn't cut his head off. He drove the shield into his chest.

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

He didn't cut his head off. He drove the shield into his chest.

Dude is dead.  Same outcome.

Whomever appointed you my personal post policeman can knock it the fuck off now.  Care to add to anything else I said or did you just show up to nitpick that one single item?

33 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Dude is dead.  Same outcome.

Whomever appointed you my personal post policeman can knock it the fuck off now.  Care to add to anything else I said or did you just show up to nitpick that one single item?

Your personal post policeman? Any reason why you're upset about this? It's a discussion forum. We all go back and forth. If I said, "JT, you're so dumb, he didn't cut his head off you idiot" then I would understand. If that's what you think the intent is, then I would hope the years of us chatting on here in threads would be enough to let you know that would never be my angle of approach with you.

EDIT: Plus, I'm 40. I don't have the time or energy or attitude to be snarky like that. It's all good.

Edited by Craig H

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Your personal post policeman? Any reason why you're upset about this? It's a discussion forum.

I can deal with the occasional JT is Old and Usually Wrong post from you and it was funny for a while, but now I'm kinda tired of it and I'm not the kind of person that tells people I think I'm cool with to go fuck themselves.  Getting fed up with the bullshit seems to have gotten your attention, so what you do with this new wisdom is up to you.

It's a discussion forum so that means we can discuss something other than the one factual error in an otherwise decent post, right?  Even JL had the good taste to shoot me a like while rolling her eyes and thinking, "Jesus, you doddering old fuck.  Walker didn't kill Nico by cutting his head off."

I figured you were more stick than carrot, you lovable lunkhead, so I had to be abrasive to make you take notice.  I can dig the occasional kick to the ribs when I am down, but at least let me cough up a little blood before putting the memory boots to me again, okay?

Edited by J.T.

Man! That wasn't even a memory comment about you! If anything, it was more or less shorthand to say "decapitation seems too extreme for Disney even with how violent the series is. I thought he drove the shield through his heart and I even swear there's a shot of Nico after the first time he was hit." That was my honest intention. I'm really sorry buddy that keeping it short made it feel like I was nitpicking you or saying your memory is bad or you're wrong. I didn't set out with that goal in mind. I was actually hoping you'd point something else out contrary to what i said because after I typed that out I thought, well, hmm, maybe he did cut his head off or smashed his head?

Man, I don't think you're the least bit dumb or doddering or whatever. Why else would I only come to you when I get spooked about world events? My first thought is, ask jt and hope and pray he says, "don't worry, this is nothing." I legit got worried that something bad was going to happen when you dropped off for awhile or that something bad happened to you. 

So....anyway...

Not to get between you two and whatever is happening there, but I think the shield into the chest was an intentional callback to Cap and Tony's final fight from Civil War.  Cap (Rogers) pulled up before killing Tony, while new Cap went too far.  

(For the record, I only know this because I saw it pointed out on a youtube video.)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Log said:

Not to get between you two and whatever is happening there, but I think the shield into the chest was an intentional callback to Cap and Tony's final fight from Civil War.  Cap (Rogers) pulled up before killing Tony, while new Cap went too far.  

(For the record, I only know this because I saw it pointed out on a youtube video.)

Yeah, I watched that Film Theory vid this morning which reinforced my notion that Zemo might be manipulating the Flag Smashers and squashed my notion that the US government might be bankrolling the Flag Smashers in order to create a false flag threat that the new Cap could respond to.

Nico getting perished killed my second hypothesis.  Meta wise, I'd like to think that even SS roid rage John Walker would not kill someone that was getting paid to make him look good.

35 minutes ago, Log said:

So....anyway...

Yeah.   Sorry about that.  Didn't mean to hijack the thread or make anyone feel uncomfortable, but that's been smoldering for a while.  I said what I felt I had to say so now it's back to talking about good nerd stuff.

9 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

IIRC, the first Thunderbolts issue had them beat some D list baddies In a worked fight to put them over. 

I want to say that they fought the Rat Pack and the Wrecking Crew in issue #1, but I could be wrong. 

If I am wrong, I am sure someone will correct me. ?

Edited by J.T.

Ep5: Found this episode slow going, a step down. Good opening scene as Bucky/Sam fight to reclaim Steve Rogers' shield from Walker and do just that. Walker is not permitted to represent the USA army for his actions filmed around the world. A highlight of the episode is talk between Sam and Isaiah. Zemo is arrested by the Dora Milaje at the Sokovian memorial. Bucky calls a favour from the Wakandans. Man, Sam was tough on Bucky. Really didn't like that. Episode ends as Sam reacts to opening the case Bucky gives him. There's a mid credits scene as John Walker forges his own shield.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I'm gonna put the cameo stuff behind a spoiler box, because Variety reported something about a future movie.

Spoiler

Julia-Louis Dreyfus' Fontaine was apparently supposed to debut in Black Widow. If it still happens - post credits scene, recruiting Yelena? I mean, it sure seems like she's setting up a team, so...

Crazy that her involvement in the MCU has been kept a secret for this long. Although Tony Hale came dangerously close to spilling the beans about it after Veep finished, apparently.

Okay, anyway. What the fuck is going on with Sharon? I'm confused by this. Is she the Power Broker? She basically paid Batroc to go help the Flag Smashers and in return they'd help him kill Sam. Maybe they're waiting until the finale to do the swerve where she's secretly working against the Broker, or playing both sides, or whatever. Maybe it was because of the cameo, and how heavy this episode was, but I just couldn't connect the dots with the Sharon/Batroc stuff.

I've seen toy leaks of Sam's Wakandan made suit and it's pretty badass.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'm gonna put the cameo stuff behind a spoiler box, because Variety reported something about a future movie.

Reveal hidden contents

Julia-Louis Dreyfus' Fontaine was apparently supposed to debut in Black Widow. If it still happens - post credits scene, recruiting Yelena? I mean, it sure seems like she's setting up a team, so...

Crazy that her involvement in the MCU has been kept a secret for this long. Although Tony Hale came dangerously close to spilling the beans about it after Veep finished, apparently.

Okay, anyway. What the fuck is going on with Sharon? I'm confused by this. Is she the Power Broker? She basically paid Batroc to go help the Flag Smashers and in return they'd help him kill Sam. Maybe they're waiting until the finale to do the swerve where she's secretly working against the Broker, or playing both sides, or whatever. Maybe it was because of the cameo, and how heavy this episode was, but I just couldn't connect the dots with the Sharon/Batroc stuff.

I've seen toy leaks of Sam's Wakandan made suit and it's pretty badass.

Sharon stuff threw me but that might be the strong painkillers.

Yes, Sam's Wakanda suit looks great. Looking forward to seeing it come alive.

• Like 1

Avengers: Endgame (2019), there was an exchange between Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes which to me hinted that Bucky knew Steve was going back to Peggy Carter and not return. Bucky gave a little grin as Sam and Hulk weren't able to bring Steve back. Bucky wasn't flustered. I caught this today:

bb36fa1c884ea429923e138b60e63895b7ec8739

I knew Steve Rogers would have confided in Bucky. This confirms it though I prefer how it was handled in Avengers: Endgame.

Edited by The Natural

Torres also seems somewhat set to become Falcon, as Sam left the gear with him.  

Given who showed up and what we're set for with 1 episode left, I'm guessing that we're only getting Sam becoming Cap and taking down Walker, Kari, and Batroc at the same time (with Bucky's help, and possibly Torres).

Either Sharon is playing both sides, is the Power Broker, or is a Skrull and setting up Secret Invasion.

My thought is Sharon is the Power Broker and is using Batroc to double-cross the Flag Smashers.

I wonder if Torres is being set up for whatever the Young Avengers project will be.  He seems too old, but he could be a government contact/liaison or whatever.  

I don’t think I’m ready for Bucky making amends with Yuri.

• Like 3