DVDVR Message Board

THE FALCON AND THE WINTER SOLDIER (Many Spoilers HERE~!)

RIPPA

I was thinking of Prince Andrew and Prince Harry as contemporary examples of royals with military service. 

presumably, a main royal wouldn’t go into black ops, but a son of a Duke or with Helmut, a Baron, I could see it. 

but this more your AOE than mine, ? 

26 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I was thinking of Prince Andrew and Prince Harry as contemporary examples of royals with military service. 

presumably, a main royal wouldn’t go into black ops, but a son of a Duke or with Helmut, a Baron, I could see it. 

but this more your AOE than mine, ? 

It is pretty much the obligation of most European royal families to have members go into the armed forces and both Andrew & Harry have extensive service records.

It's not common for them to serve in black ops units, but most noble families and important government figures receive self defense and counterterrorism training from spec ops units.  Harry & Andrew IIRC have both flown live combat missions, but you probably wouldn't see them in the desert armed with sniper rifles and living off of scorpions and drinking the dew they collected overnight..

When I was in the private sector, I used to work with a guy who was British SAS and he told me that they routinely trained British royal family members and MPs in anti-terrorism survival tactics.  

He told me some wild story about how Princess Diana got her hair singed by a flashbang during a training session at the Killing House (ironically the facility for hostage rescue ops training).  I was never sure if he was serious.

Of course, none of this is relevant because we're talking about comic books so Zemo can be whatever the writers want him to be.

Edited by J.T.

It's so fucking good to have brand new Marvel Studios Marvel Cinematic Universe content again. 2020 and 2009 are the only years we went without. I'm actually looking forward more to the Marvel Studios Marvel Cinematic Universe TV this year than the movies. Only Black Widow and Spider-Man: No Way Home from the latter plus I know very little about Shang-Chi and Eternals.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, J.T. said:

?

I remember Zemo saying that his family lived outside of the capital so he thought they'd be safe from Ultron's attack, but i don't remember Zemo saying anything in Civil War to imply he was just a normal working class joe. 

Of course, there was nothing mentioned about him being a nobleman, either.  The only thing we knew for certain is that he was a former high ranking Sokovian military commander as well as being Spec. Ops.

Not mentioning he was royalty or a Baron is a pretty huge omission. His voice even sounded different here. 

1 hour ago, Bustronaut said:

Did anyone catch the Mission: Impossible distort/morph when Zemo removed his mask?  That was really goofy.

The mask was kind of pointless in this episode. I liked that he had it and wore, but he put it on for 30 seconds and then yanked it off. What purpose did it serve for him there?

I agree with @TheVileOnethat this Zemo feels like a completely different person from the Zemo in Civil War.  Which is not to say that they can’t be the same person, but to pull off a pivot this extreme, you have to put the narrative work in, and they didn’t put in an ounce of it.  He literally just gets out of prison, and its just like “Oh, by the way, guys, I’m actually an ultra wealthy dandy,” and the show just expects you to go with it.

Which, I mean...If they’re going to play fast and loose with everything, that’s fine.  I’ll just have to recalibrate expectations.  At a $150 million budget to produce, I was just expecting more from this than, like, “later-season Arrow”-tier writing.

• Thanks 1

I figured he put on the mask because a stunt scene was coming, like with the Flag Smashers.

maybe so that he was wearing the mask when he blew stuff up.

but in that coat, he looks more like Enemy Ace than Zemo.

The mask is definitely just there so they can use a stunt man and do more action with Zemo.

Speaking of action...The dirty secret that I’ve been keeping from you all is that I’ve thought pretty much all the big action scenes in the first two episodes were pretty bad.  Too much cutting, shaky cam, weird angles...Kevin Dunn-esque.

BUT I thought the stuff at the shipyard was well done, if only a shade of every other shipyard fight scene you’ve ever watched.  Kari Skogland seemed a lot more comfortable with the fantastical elements taken out of it and just doing straight-up, ground-level action.

• Like 1

One of the best things about the Disney + Marvel MCU shows is giving a focus on characters needing an expansion. There's only so much screen time you can give characters in the movies. The Scarlet Witch, Vision, Bucky Barnes, Falcon, Sharon Carter who stood out more here than in her two film appearance and Baron Zemo are beneficiaries of the format. It's the closest you'll ever get to solo films for them.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 10:31 AM, EVA said:

I agree with @TheVileOnethat this Zemo feels like a completely different person from the Zemo in Civil War.  Which is not to say that they can’t be the same person, but to pull off a pivot this extreme, you have to put the narrative work in, and they didn’t put in an ounce of it.  He literally just gets out of prison, and its just like “Oh, by the way, guys, I’m actually an ultra wealthy dandy,” and the show just expects you to go with it.

Which, I mean...If they’re going to play fast and loose with everything, that’s fine.  I’ll just have to recalibrate expectations.  At a $150 million budget to produce, I was just expecting more from this than, like, “later-season Arrow”-tier writing.

Could Zemo be a skrull? Secret War was going to be a movie or a miniseries? I can't keep track anymore ? but that's good because we're in for the long haul with new MCU content almost weekly ? Love it ? ? 

Edited by Hayabusa
No bueno? no good

Daniel Bruhl on that dance:

It's so hysterical. [That moment] was improvised when I saw the crowd dancing, going loco," said the actor. "I felt the beat and was like, Zemo has been sitting in a dodgy German prison cell for years. So, he needs to let off some steam and show his moves. Let's go for it! I enjoyed so much the reaction of Anthony and Sebastian looking at me. Still, I was 100 percent sure that they would cut it out [of the show]. I was really surprised and happy that they kept it. It was a long dance. There's more to it, but they cut this little moment."

64d026fdcd938854f6e6ed6936e3d2de12f8e234

#ReleaseTheHYDRADiscoCut.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

On 4/7/2021 at 6:08 AM, The Natural said:

Daniel Bruhl on that dance:

It's so hysterical. [That moment] was improvised when I saw the crowd dancing, going loco," said the actor. "I felt the beat and was like, Zemo has been sitting in a dodgy German prison cell for years. So, he needs to let off some steam and show his moves. Let's go for it! I enjoyed so much the reaction of Anthony and Sebastian looking at me. Still, I was 100 percent sure that they would cut it out [of the show]. I was really surprised and happy that they kept it. It was a long dance. There's more to it, but they cut this little moment."

64d026fdcd938854f6e6ed6936e3d2de12f8e234

#ReleaseTheHYDRADiscoCut.

4 hours ago, Casey said:

lmfao they actually released the “Zemo cut”.

Thank you, Marvel!!!

Episode 4: Great episode with a real shocker of an ending. Starts with a moving flashback as Ayo speaks the words to activate Bucky Barnes compliance and they no longer work. Sam/Bucky/Zemo are caught up by US Agent/Battlestar. Karli's location is found and Sam gets 10 minutes with her appealing to Walker that he used to counsel the troubled. Feels like Sam is slowly getting through to get till Walker messes up. Zemo destroys all but one of the Super Soldier serum which Walker retrieves. Dora Milaje do a number on Sam/Bucky/US Agent/Battlestar and Zemo escapes. The latter find Karli's group and you can see Walker has taken the SSS. Karli kills Battlestar.

The shocking ending: US Agent chases down one of her accomplices and kills him using Steve's Shield of all things, the move Steve started using but stopped on Iron Man in Captain America: Civil War (2016). As US Agent kills said accomplice, people are filming what he's doing. Walker looks on holding the bloody shield.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Episode 4: Great episode with a real shocker of an ending.

The shocking ending: US Agent chases down one of her accomplices and kills him using Steve's Shield of all things, the move Steve started using but stopped on Iron Man in Captain America: Civil War (2016). As US Agent kills said accomplice, people are filming what he's doing. Walker looks on holding the bloody shield.

Spoiler

EyhDnrgU8AEKfMf?format=jpg&name=large

EyhDsDuWYAEHcvz?format=jpg&name=small

EyhDUoBVIAMHN5D?format=jpg&name=small

Damn.

Edited by The Natural

Hell of an episode with no filler. This is moving along at a right pace now. 

Zemo stealing scenes left right and centre, delighted for Daniel Bruhl! I have a soft spot for him since Goodbye Lenin. 

Walker growing out the stubble to reflect his disintegrating mental state was done nice foreshadowing. The Dora Milijae did a real number on him! 

Was shocked to see Buckys arm just fall off, was wondering if he'd be able to reattach it. 

I'm sticking to my Sharon is Power Broker theory, no matter how wrong I am ?

• Like 3