DVDVR Message Board

THE FALCON AND THE WINTER SOLDIER (Many Spoilers HERE~!)

RIPPA

I think we got a bit more shading of the Flag-Smashers with the line about governments "only caring about the people who returned" from the snap. It plays into something Whatisname said on Wandavision to Monica, and it could easily lead to them being... Prejudiced doesn't quite seem like the right word, but opposed to those who came back.

I think the right way to handle them would be similar to Killmonger in Black Panther, where he was right about a whole lot of things, but his solution was supervillain shit (in his case, essentially becoming a genocidal colonizer himself)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

I am the opposite as I can appreciate the ideas of autonomy and sovereignty without being a wacky paleo-nationalist.

I suppose it depends on where you're from, some can see borders as a way of keeping them and theirs together, whereas on the island I'm from the border is a 100 year old wound that shows no signs of healing. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 9:23 PM, Matt D said:

So really enjoyable episode, but I'll play @EVA's advocate here and say that there were a bunch of elements/characters in episode 1 when they were apart that weren't here at all and that felt a little disjointed. It felt like an entirely different show than last week.

Man, I got whiplash from how different these episodes were.  Almost like they were written by two different creative teams.  That said...I liked this version of the show better?  At the very least, it felt like this episode was actually giving me the buddy cop action show that I thought I was signing up for to begin with.  They definitely played it fast and loose with the plotting, and if you stop to think about too much of what was going on in this episode, it all falls apart, but at least the short cuts were in service of getting/keeping Sam and Bucky together, which is what’s on the marquee*. I can accept that (for now), because it gets things moving after a super sluggish first episode.

*But the real star of the show now is Wyatt Russell.  He just walked in and stole it from everybody.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2021 at 1:01 PM, Brian Fowler said:

I think the right way to handle them would be similar to Killmonger in Black Panther, where he was right about a whole lot of things, but his solution was supervillain shit (in his case, essentially becoming a genocidal colonizer himself)

Yes, it's interesting to note that comic book despots like Doctor Doom and Killmonger also want a world without borders as they believe that all nations should be fall beneath their iron heels.

Obviously the Flag-Smashers have no interest in governance or rulership, but they do have the goal of violently enforcing globalism.

Aside from stuff like Locke & Key, Watchmen, and Sin City, I haven't read comics since the mid/late 80s.  The only Power Broker I know is the guy who gave super duper steroids to some guys in the same company where the Thing was moonlighting as a wrestler.  Same guy?

I like this show so far.  It's go a fun indictment of racism in America where a guy can help save the entire universe but can't get a loan and still gets hassled by the cops.

I spent way too much time trying to figure out whether this was shot on location in Baltimore.  The neighborhood where they met Isiah was a little too clean but the buildings at the end did look somewhat familiar.

• Like 3

Can I just say I love how lazy the end credits are? They have a representative still screen for each character (like the boat for Falcon's sister or Zemo's mask, etc.) and if the character isn't in that episode, they just don't put the name up during that moment.

21 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Can I just say I love how lazy the end credits are? They have a representative still screen for each character (like the boat for Falcon's sister or Zemo's mask, etc.) and if the character isn't in that episode, they just don't put the name up during that moment.

They did the same thing with WandaVision, It's not that they don't put the credit where it's supposed to be, it's that they don't credit people who have an appeared yet so Daniel Bruhl you'll now see his name in all of the subsequent credit sequences. The idea is not to spoil an actor's upcoming appearance.

Actually wait, I didn't notice but did they really not put Sam Wilson's sister's actor In this week's credit sequence?!

Edited by christopher.annino

I officially have no idea what any of you are talking about.

Anyway - weird little irritant

I don't know why I was so bothered by the Flag Smasher saying he was going to hold folks off and then pushing the power pole over and then... profit???

I mean great that you blocked the road but you couldn't think of anything other than "charge straight at the cadre of dudes with guns"?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I don't know why I was so bothered by the Flag Smasher saying he was going to hold folks off and then pushing the power pole over and then... profit???

I mean great that you blocked the road but you couldn't think of anything other than "charge straight at the cadre of dudes with guns"?

Hey, super soldier serum makes you strong, not smart.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

That bugged me a little too. He got them to shoot at him instead of the plane, which was right behind him. So like 20 guys are shooting at the one unarmed guy just standing there, and none at the plane escaping behind him.

Edited by JonnyLaw
  • Like 1

The other thing that had my son howling with laughter (and it happens in every action movie with a car chase scene)

The one person who was all “Who cares that there is a big brawl happening across two 18 wheelers! I gotta get to work so I’m gonna keep driving! Oh great now fake Captain America is in my windshield”

• Haha 4

Just finished episode 3. Best one yet. Great having Baron Zemo and Sharon Carter back. Bucky talked to Sam about a hypothetical prison breakout...which turned into reality as Zemo escapes and Sam's pissed. All three want to stop the super-soldiers and the serum. Zemo needles both Falcon and Winter Soldier.

Callback to "where do we start?", the book Bucky is using was Steve's when he woke up on things he's missed and "You're not going to move your seat up?" "No." We visit Madripoor. Bucky has to pretend he's still under Zemo's instructions. Sharon saves them from Selby when they're cover is blown. Bounty is put on them. Sharon rues the cost of running alone. Zemo kills the doctor who made the serum. Cinematography stands out in this episode. Hell of a cliffhanger! Wakanda want Zemo's ass.

I know posters have children who watch MCU movies and TV. I have to say this is a violent episode with people shot in the head, impaled and blown up in a building so wanted to let you know that.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

They basically rebooted Zemo's character. Sorry, he is nothing at all like the Zemo introduced in Civil War. Now he's actually Baron Zemo. That was never mentioned before. He was a f'n blue collar Sokovian black ops soldier and family man. And I like Civil War, but they did Zemo dirty in that film.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Ex88cATWQAAGNNG?format=jpg&name=large

Dunno if any of you have seen Hardy Bucks (mockumentary set in a rural Irish town) but Zemo was giving me real Viper vibes in that scene, "fierce reptilian in his movement", so I just couldn't stop laughing, imagining him as the primary hash dealer between Castletown and Enniscrone ?

Was getting some red flags from Sharon in this episode, any chance she's the power broker?? I know they like to switch things up in the MCU. 

• Like 1