DVDVR Message Board

THE FALCON AND THE WINTER SOLDIER (Many Spoilers HERE~!)

RIPPA

I think I saw "Powerbroker" on a wall during the credits.

My biggest takeaway is that it felt like a Wednesday (or a Friday) when I was a kid. New Comics day. Which is not a feeling I've ever gotten out of the MCU before (our out of any of the CW DC shows for instance), so that was a nice hit of nostalgia.

• Like 5

I’m not good with the spoiler boxes on here.

Anyways, I really liked this episode. At first I assumed Yuri was one of Bucky’s old friends, but I guess they would all be dead. The John Walker/New Cap storyline was one of my favorites as a kid, and may have been the first storyline I tried to collect all the issues for instead of just randomly buying issues. It was pretty political for back then, with obvious parallels to today, so it will be interesting to see play out.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, J.T. said:
  Hide contents

True, but the woman who leads them is named Karli Morgenthau and the Flag Smasher from the comics is named Karl Morgenthau.  I think that ultimately they are going to gender switch the Flag Smasher and place ULTIMATUM under her control.

Spoiler

I see. It's Enfys Nest from SOLO.

423?cb=20210208094326

Loved the first episode. Dug the seeing Bucky is try to adjust to his new life and make amends for his past. Totally thought the old guy was one of his pals from his Howling Commandos days until they mentioned his son. You could see how much it was rapping Bucky apart to not tell him. It was good seeing Sam in his normal life and with his family. That bank loan scene was good and messed up. Reminds me of the times my dad has mentioned people turning him down on things in the past until they saw his credit and begged him back. And I'm pretty sure he only tells us the slightly less shitty situations. It was good hearing more about the world was during the blip and right after.

The show is off to a good start. Looking forward to seeing how things pick up the next couple of episodes.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Casey said:

Flag Smashers or Zemo aren't the real villains in this show, it's that fuckin' loan officer.

You can beat Thanos, but you can't beat a weaselly, microaggressive banker.

Also, Momo from Jujutsu Kaisen loves Sebastian Stan.

6fa5c52fffd51c781200a975dfba788e991acbce

Edited by TheVileOne

Other than that ludicrous fight sequence, which had more plot holes than whatever Zack Snyder is doing these days (btw, is he making a movie? I hadn't heard about it in a while!), this was one of the most compelling things Marvel's ever done, and I say this having loved the whole style and buildup of Wandavision.

Strange thing was, I was just re-watching Man of Steel the other night, and I found myself reminded that my favorite bits of that film are Kal as all these ill-fitting odd job characters as he tries to make a choice about who he's going to be.  Maybe we just need a superhero TV show about someone with powers deciding to be a fisherman while Chris Cornell sings in the background.  That they're using the downtime sequences for real character development, as opposed to mere contrast (see The Wolverine for the epitome of action-action-pause-action doldrums), is more than welcome.

15 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

I’m not good with the spoiler boxes on here.

Anyways, I really liked this episode. At first I assumed Yuri was one of Bucky’s old friends, but I guess they would all be dead. The John Walker/New Cap storyline was one of my favorites as a kid, and may have been the first storyline I tried to collect all the issues for instead of just randomly buying issues. It was pretty political for back then, with obvious parallels to today, so it will be interesting to see play out.

I know spoilers are okay, but I didn't want to spoil too much for folks who still haven't seen the first episode.

I was just re-iterating Vile One's point that the Flag-Smasher had been totally transformed from one man into an extremist / anarchist organization (ULTIMATUM is now simply The Flag Smashers) and Karl Morgenthau himself had been gender flipped into Karli Morganthau, the leader of the Flag-Smashers.

To address another point:

I hope Bucky shows some irrational anger and resentment for Sam that Steve gave Sam the mantle instead. Bucky should feel like on some level it should be him. Not to mention he should berate Sam for handing the shield over to the government just so they could pass it off to John Walker. I hope Bucky shows some irrational anger and resentment for Sam that Steve gave Sam the mantle instead. Bucky should feel like on some level it should be him. Not to mention he should berate Sam for handing the shield over to the government just so they could pass it off to John Walker.

I think that there will be some friction between Bucky and Sam, but I think Bucky is too self-aware of his Winter Soldier history to believe he's worthy of the mantle of Captain America.  Bucky knows in his heart that Steve made the right call.

I think that Bucky will end up becoming the Nomad without taking the moniker and set off to do things "his way," and Sam will wisen up, take the shield, and become the new Captain America.  I'm also gambling that Sam's Cap suit will be designed to look like Battlestar's.

I'm definitely interested to see what they do with John Walker / US Agent and if they will go as far as to run a variation the Captain America (vol. 5) #25–42 story arc and have either The Flag Smashers or someone else go and kack Old Man Steve Rogers to really take Chris Evans off of the table.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bustronaut said:

To the f(l)ight scene - between that and Wonder Woman vaporizing a terrorist, there was a lot of heroes killing cannon fodder scenes released this week.

The MCU heroes have never been too shy about killing sans Spider-Man.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

I know spoilers are okay, but I didn't want to spoil too much for folks who still haven't seen the first episode.

My bad, my comment about not being good with spoiler boxes was due to me not being able to figure out how to type something outside and after the box, not in regards to spoilers themselves.  I thought I was going to have two posts back to back, but Matt D slid in between them and they were on two separate pages.

• Sad 1

I also both really enjoyed the episode and was shocked at how brutally some people got murked. Like, the pilot in the plane gets accidentally shot in the fucking head and the camera doesn't cut away. The violence ultimately doesn't bother me much, but damn it's weird to watch. 

• Like 1

I thought the opening action sequence was amazing, but the rest of this bored me to tears. I know they have to set the ground work for the important story beats but man... sitting through like 10 minutes of Falcon trying to get a bank loan is where I draw the line lol.

• Like 1

Well, now.  I totally forgot about Clé Bennett being cast as Lemar Hoskins, so there goes my Falcon's Cap costume theory.  I suppose they really will go with that American Falcon suit that I hate.

Edited by J.T.

Watched the first ep on Saturday and thought it was pretty good and kept me interested in where they're going with all of this.

I really like how the opening action sequence (which I agree with Bustronaut was weirdly violent) was an homage to the opening of Winter Soldier.  I wonder if we'll find out there was more to this hijacking as well.

On 3/20/2021 at 9:12 PM, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I thought the opening action sequence was amazing, but the rest of this bored me to tears. I know they have to set the ground work for the important story beats but man... sitting through like 10 minutes of Falcon trying to get a bank loan is where I draw the line lol.

Yeah, there’s good slow and there’s bad slow, and this was mostly bad slow to me.  Committed the cardinal sin of a LOT of streaming shows:  elongating the first act.  We made it through a whole episode and didn’t even get anything close to an inciting incident.  Happens far too often in these “It’s an x-hour movie!” type of shows.  But at least Bucky’s story right now is kind of interesting and fits pretty neatly with his narrative across the films!  Falcon having to play an Anchorman punchline 100% serious was just cringe, and—worse—the epitome of filler masquerading as “depth.”

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, EVA said:

Yeah, there’s good slow and there’s bad slow, and this was mostly bad slow to me.  Committed the cardinal sin of a LOT of streaming shows:  elongating the first act.  We made it through a whole episode and didn’t even get anything close to an inciting incident.  Happens far too often in these “It’s an x-hour movie!” type of shows.  But at least Bucky’s story right now is kind of interesting and fits pretty neatly with his narrative across the films!  Falcon having to play an Anchorman punchline 100% serious was just cringe, and—worse—the epitome of filler masquerading as “depth.”

Especially given that it's not released to binge. At least then, you have the expectation than many people will watch at least a few episodes right in a row.

I liked a lot of things in episode one, but it didn't really come together as a coherent whole.