DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/10/2021

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by Dolfan in NYC,

REMINDER - No mid-show commentary.  It's a DVDVR rule. 

48 minutes ago, Bill S. Preston ESQ. said:

Show was dare I say better than Revolution. 

Two fueds that could both lead to a Blood N Guts match id presume

Omega, Good Brothers and guys vs Mox, Kingston, Cage and guys or The Inner Circle War Counsel Games

AEW Lockdown? ?

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

Only caught Twitter clips, watching full show with Revolution Saturday..

Quick thoughts on the clips.

1) Cody going nuts and charging into the stands was great. That guy translating for Penta hamming it up when he translated sucked. Going by the punishment Cody takes before taking some time off, I'm almost drooling at the insane beating Penta gives him before ripping his arm out of the socket. I almost hope it puts over Penta like crazy, pay no mind to his compulsion to taunt every few minutes 

2) Maki thumping Shida with the mic. Hadn't noticed the softness of the strikes until I saw it brought up on PWO. Also brought up on PWO was the headset Maki was wearing and that the mic shot probably deafened her on the first two shots so she pulled back on the last ones to not blow out her eardrums?

3) Mox and Kingston = Drinking Buddies is the buddy cop movie we need! Have them promo their way through the AEW wrestlecrap and all is good. Dark order beatdown on Dustin with the whiffed punches? Send out Mox and Eddie to do Statler/Waldorf commentary and save the angle.

Spoiler

• Like 2

Fuck Sean Spears.

In the pre lockdown days AEW guys were allowed to work indys. Brother comes into a promotion, decides he likes one of the worker's names, and trademarks it. So now a guy that had been working the indy's for a decade using "The Reaper" as his nickname gets a cease & desist and can no longer use it because Sean Spears trademarked it. And it's been over a year and he hasn't even used it for himself. That's some hardcore carny shit. Fucking over the other boys just trying to work up the ladder.

(As far as I know he didn't try fighting the trademark suit because of the cost involved. He probably could win in court but he doesn't have the cash to get that far down the road.)

So yeah, fuck Sean Spears.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Exactly.  

I don't think anybody thinks Kenny is a "great wrestler" because he is a "great doer of moves".  The stories, the selling - it makes sense to many of us, and we enjoy the sweat and work he puts into it.  His promos are often excellent and rarely less than good.  And often, especially as a heel, laced with hilarity.  I get just not liking a wrestler.  I wasn't a fan of Shawn Michaels, but even as an uncouth kid I could at the very least open my eyes and see his talent.  I wouldn't suggest everybody that believed he was great was because he was a "great doer of moves".  Again, you put some thought into your posts and I like reading them, but move passed this generic weekly hate and condescention towards everyone that enjoys his work. 

First, let me just say that if I come off as condescending to people who like Kenny Omega, I am sincerely sorry. Truly. I don't ever want to be condescending because someone's fandom is different than mine. Unless they stan Seth Rollins. Then I'm talking down to you like a motherfucker, because we have to have societal norms. 

I think my biggest pet peeve, both in wrestling and outside it, is inauthenticity. In the past, I've outlined my problems with Rollins, Adam Cole and Sasha Banks that all have inauthenticity at their core. They don't believe what they're saying, so I don't.

It's the same thing with Kenny. In addition to his "crash as crash can" in ring style, I don't buy what he's trying to sell the audience right now, especially when the two guys he's programming with are maybe the two most authentic dudes in wrestling today. Listen to Eddie Kingston talk about being in the holding cell before his sentencing and then listen to Kenny Omega try to mock him by talking about detention in 7th grade. Either he's doing the world's best "pretentious dweeb" impression, or he actually is a pretentious dweeb. 

I also wholeheartedly reject the notion that one can be an objectively good wrestling when wrestling is subjective. And if someone could be objectively good at a subjective art form, that person wouldn't be Kenny Omega. 

• Like 7

I caught this right away, and surprised that no one's mentioned it....(maybe?)

Sky working the BOB BACKLUND ANGLE.

I called the Omega/Callis theory after the PPV last weekend. But I also like Mox/Kingston's explanation as well.

Does this mean Sammy is back in The Inner Circle, or are we considering him to never have left? I also wonder what the name of MJF's stable will be.

Silver almost falling off the lawnmower was amazing, I love the Hangman/Dark Order stuff so much.

BUTCHER! Why are you hanging around Matt Hardy? It would have made more sense for him to for him to hire TH2.

• Like 1

Have to agree this was a great reset show after an underwhelming ppv.

If you have to an all-time show-killing botch, you couldn't ask for 3 better promo guys in Kingston, Moxley, and Callis to run damage control at least. Hell, Kenny was great here too, had some real "DX Shawn" vibes. I won't lie, I was cracking up at "Quick north-south! 69 me Don!" Probably the best they could hope for to salvage that angle, now just let Mox and Eddie kick some ass and it'll all be forgotten soon enough.

I also don't mind Christian as a filler challenger for Omega. The top-level faces are pretty thin at the moment, and Kenny could use a less epic kind of match that he could win relatively easily. His heel run has plenty of life, but you need some expendable challengers instead of ever escalating feuds.

Penta getting some momentum by putting Cody on the shelf would be nice. They need to acknowledge where he's at with Death Triangle, though.

What was with Vickie just easily beating down the champ holding a kendo stick at the beginning of that 6-woman tag? That whole segment was kind of a mess.

The only other thing I didn't like was Sky jobbing his opportunity away so quickly and then doing an uninspired heel turn with no momentum because he just lost clean to a guy who jumped off a building 3 days ago. That was very WWE like.

The final segment was one of the best-written wrestling segments in years. Just perfect timing on both parts of the double swerve. Say what you want about Jericho, that guy can still work an emotional angle as good as anyone. MJF's new group is pretty much the perfect collection of "guys who should be in a heel stable." MJF as the trash-talking well-insulated leader. Wardlow as the muscle. FTR as the goons who can also work over the tag division. Spears as the guy no one really cares about but they insist on giving tv time, so first line of babyface attack fodder is a good compromise.

52 minutes ago, Jiji said:

AEW Lockdown? ?

Yep. I think we just might be headed for an "All Wargames B&G All the Time" PPV

in addition to the two that @Bill S. Preston ESQ. mentioned, they could also run Matt Hardy, Private Party, Butcher & Blade vs Hangman, DO, and/or Bear Country. Maybe QT and some young heels vs a Dustin-led Nightmare Family team as the opener? And a ladies B&G match. Mayabe a straight up tage title defense to mix it up a bit? 

Would anybody mind if they went that way? I think you'd be best off running just one Wargames match... but it would be interesting to see everyone try and top each other. 

(And yeah, I'm the same guy who just compared running an exploding ring match, ladder match, and street fight on one PPV to drowning your ice cream in too many toppings. Do I contradict myself? Very well then. I contradict myself).

Edited by El Gran Gordi

Oh yeah, and while I'm thinking about it, I thought it was good booking to have Dax smack the shit out of Hager with something heavy, then you take him out without him losing his mystique. His AEW mystique. His WWE mystique been gone. 

So much good shit on this show, it's just that the bad is REAL bad.

• Like 1

If we’re going to town on wrestlers we think are overrated, I’ve always been amazed at the seemingly unanimous love of Pentagon. I haven’t seen a single original thing about him besides the little hand gesture he does while his opponent just stands there and takes it like a chump. It’s so drawn out I cringe every time. I’ll never forget that tag ladder match where he had a chance to grab the belts but opted to do his dumb hand gesture on the top of the ladder instead. I’m not sure I’ve seen a ladder match with less attempts to actually try and grab the belts. His move set is based around Canadian Destroyers, Package Piledrivers, apron bumps; it all feels so uninspired. So yeah, needless to say, him vs. Cody is the feud I’m most uninterested in now.

Edited by A.M.B.
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

Yep. I think we just might be headed for an "All Wargames B&G All the Time" PPV

in addition to the two that @Bill S. Preston ESQ. mentioned, they could also run Matt Hardy, Private Party, Butcher & Blade vs Hangman, DO, and/or Bear Country. Maybe QT and some young heels vs a Dustin-led Nightmare Family team as the opener? And a ladies B&G match. Mayabe a straight up tage title defense to mix it up a bit? 

Would anybody mind if they went that way? I think you'd be best off running just one Wargames match... but it would be interesting to see everyone try and top each other. 

(And yeah, I'm the same guy who just compared running an exploding ring match, ladder match, and street fight on one PPV to drowning your ice cream in too many toppings. Do I contradict myself? Very well then. I contradict myself).

I'd expect your feeling that they'd be best off running one is where most of us would land.

The company has been smart enough to only run one cage match till this point (while we know they intended to run that second one before COVID). After being so careful with such a big, valuable gimmick match, I'd think they're the biggest knuckleheads in the world if they ran this type of show. And I'm not even discounting that I may enjoy it! LockDown was a knucklehead idea for a show, and I sure enjoyed a bunch of those. But no, they'd have better sense to just run the one Blood and Guts. Heck even running two of the BS WWE WarGames in one show is way too much. Doing a show like this just because there are a whole bunch of factions would be overkill. 

Especially now that they can get MJF's MFers vs Inner Circle nice and hot, why would I want to see that diminished?

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 2

At first I thought Hardy Party/ BBB vs Hangman/ Dark Order was gonna be blood and guts until the main event.

Really liked this show, felt like a RAW after a Wrestlemania back in the day where its a fresh slate.

Also I love how Tony's hatred of MJF borders on Heenan's hatred of Hogan

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Fuck Sean Spears.

In the pre lockdown days AEW guys were allowed to work indys. Brother comes into a promotion, decides he likes one of the worker's names, and trademarks it. So now a guy that had been working the indy's for a decade using "The Reaper" as his nickname gets a cease & desist and can no longer use it because Sean Spears trademarked it. And it's been over a year and he hasn't even used it for himself. That's some hardcore carny shit. Fucking over the other boys just trying to work up the ladder.

(As far as I know he didn't try fighting the trademark suit because of the cost involved. He probably could win in court but he doesn't have the cash to get that far down the road.)

So yeah, fuck Sean Spears.

"The Reaper" Shawn Spears?

I'm with Blue Oyster Cult.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, AxB said:

"The Reaper" Shawn Spears?

I'm with Blue Oyster Cult.

Good thing Shane Helms and Fred Ottman aren’t in AEW, Spears would be no match for them either (just to pile another dad joke on the first dad joke. Go big or go home)

Was watching some VRTL Pros Pain Pigs and volume 24 has a Pentagon vs. Arez match... I miss killer Pentagon. He fucked up Arez a couple of times. They did it again in the rain with a slicked and dangerous ring mat. In that one, Penta carves Arez up with a broken cerveza bottle. 

So basically what I'm saying is: AEW should bring in Arez solely for Penta to beat up/massacre. Penta's gotten soft like Rocky in Rocky III and needs to go back to his Lucha Underground character ASAP. Hopefully this is the start of that. He was a bit too spotty back then and now he's gone all the way to spirit meter spamming. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

It wasn't that good.

I didn't know it was on but caught it tonight. It had some good moments but the ending was a mess. 

And for the love of everything please let LU Penta return. Well the one from the first two seasons as he was hamming it up a bit more by season 3.  I like Cody but a broken arm is in order. 

Penta's problem in AEW is that he and Fenix got the gimmick of "resident Mexican wrestlers" and the role of "second-tier spotfest filler." That role works fine for Fenix (though he's capable of more), but Penta really needs some edge. He can go high-speed, but his matches work better when he's more of a bully striker, and works in his big moves as needed.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, A.M.B. said:

If we’re going to town on wrestlers we think are overrated, I’ve always been amazed at the seemingly unanimous love of Pentagon. I haven’t seen a single original thing about him besides the little hand gesture he does while his opponent just stands there and takes it like a chump. It’s so drawn out I cringe every time. I’ll never forget that tag ladder match where he had a chance to grab the belts but opted to do his dumb hand gesture on the top of the ladder instead. I’m not sure I’ve seen a ladder match with less attempts to actually try and grab the belts. His move set is based around Canadian Destroyers, Package Piledrivers, apron bumps; it all feels so uninspired. So yeah, needless to say, him vs. Cody is the feud I’m most uninterested in now.

With you on Pentagon. Wanted to slap him in that match you mentioned, Young Bucks vs. Ray Fenix/Pentagon at AEW All Out 2019. Nearly stopped giving it *****.

Pentagon has been mediocre for literally years. Once he realised he could phone it in by spending 90% of his matches posing and doing a hundred CERO MEIDOS and get away with it he hasn't looked back.

That said, atleast a feud with Cody is something fresh which he desperately needs.

Edited by killsteve

Misc thoughts:

-MAKI’S ENTRANCE *******

- “69 ME DON!”

- Page and Dark Order’s little segment ♥️. “THERES A WEIGHT LIMIT!”

- I hope this doesn’t mean Sammy is back in the Inner Circle as Jericho’s number two because that would feel like a big step back after the way he left. I don’t mind if he’s just gonna back them up for this one feud though.

- Have they ever explained why Fenix and PAC are a team now instead of the established Lucha Bros team? has Penta had any interaction at all with the other two Death Triangle guys in the last few months?

- I liked Cody sprinting after Penta at the mere mention of his yet to be born son. Yet a few weeks ago the Young Bucks lightly jogged to save their dad from being murdered by Jericho and MJF.

- So I guess BBB are not with Kingston anymore? Im OK as Moxley and Kingston should be amazing together and a major upgrade. I love their style of promos, just sound like two real humans speaking for once. 

- Did anyone get some Bret Hart vibes from the Darby-Sky match? Might have just been me but many smaller spots by Sky felt very Hitman inspired last night.

- Loved the humiliating beat down of Thunder Rosa, rubbing her face with crutches , stepping on her, kicking her leg away, etc. Brit came off pretty good with all the little shit she did.

Edited by eikerir
Typo

4 hours ago, eikerir said:

- Did anyone get some Bret Hart vibes from the Darby-Sky match? Might have just been me but many smaller spots by Sky felt very Hitman inspired last night.

Sky said on the podcast that he's a huge Bret fan and tries to incorporate some of that style into his matches.  I definitely noticed it too and while a foregone conclusion was still a pretty good match.

• Like 2