DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 3/10/2021

Dolfan in NYC
Message added by Dolfan in NYC,

REMINDER - No mid-show commentary.  It's a DVDVR rule. 

There was a point where @just drewhatred of Kenny kinda bugged me because, like, it's a very weird opinion to have considering that Omega is objectively a great wrestler, but now it's more or less amusing to me. It's especially amusing to see him give Spears a pass. I mean, so long as it doesn't veer into that weird Cornette territory, then it's fine.

Although, hate on Kenny all you want, but Maki "hitting" Shida with the mic was the worst thing on the show.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Also, yes, Maki Itoh does that entrance every time. Unless she's super serious and focused, then she forgoes it. It's happened a few times.

I was afraid someone was going to say this. 

Yes, Dark Order exists, but the Inner Circle becoming a big time babyface stable might be a first for this company I think. People who have consistently been presented as important, as stars since the promotion started... as faces? (Fred Sanford chest clutching) Page is the only dude associated with the Dark Order who isn't presented as a bit of a joke so I'm not counting it. There have been babyface trios but no real stables.

I love the ending angle even more the next day. It was a LOT of story progress in ten minutes but worth the result and honestly this was how it needed to be done since MJF as part of the Inner Circle has never made sense to me once and killed the momentum I thought he had going last summer. Now he gets to be a regular promo guy again and repair the damage done. 

Weird to think his theme song is called "Judas" but they (un?)intentionally had a big slab of Christ-like imagery carrying Jericho from the ring to the stage for the powerbomb.

EDIT DUE TO NEW DISCUSSION: It's difficult to despise Kenny the most on the show when the Bucks exist. Strangely, that match at the PPV might be my favorite of Kenny's. Not like I've seen a lot of his stuff outside of AEW, but still. I've seen the "seven star match" and a couple of other big matches from Japan. The guy is shit on the microphone, very little he says is intimidating or believable. In terms of ring work he's a tremendous athlete and at least he's in great shape (unlike the Bucks). Problem is it comes off to me as Dolph Ziggler with a bigger moveset, just bam-bam-bam with little selling or psychology, flying to the next spot as quickly as possible. All this said, I don't mind him as champion thanks to Don Callis and the Good Brothers being involved. If he was on his own it'd be fucking insufferable.

Edited by Sex Machine Gun
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Really fun show but they are over-relying on "someone interrupts a promo" to further feuds. This is a promotion full of great talkers, would be enough to just let them talk. 

It's particularly a problem with Sting. I don't know why literally every single Sting promo gets interrupted when he barely gets two sentences in. If I was Sting, the next time I get interrupted, I would just be like, "Oh come ON. Every single week I have something to say and someone interrupts me a few seconds in. I'M OLD! I can't remember this stuff. Last week I had something really important to say. I can't remember what I was going to say now."

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

What is hugely impressive to me on the outside in is how they're hitting so many big marks one after the other.

Two weeks ago there was the Big Show. Last week they did Cody vs Shaq. At the PPV they did the exploding match and debuted Christian. Then they had the big new stable last night. None of it really felt like hotshotting because it's all different programs up and down the card. It doesn't seem perfect, but things have stakes and build and payoff and things happen. There are a lot of fires burning.

I was thinking about this too. The long form storytelling hits way more than it misses. Sometimes you wind up with a feud that drags out for too long. I think Darby/Sting vs Team Taz got close to that point. Ultimately though, you know you're going to get a blow off.

Santana and Ortiz vs the Best Friends was one of my favorite feuds last year. It was just on a simmer for the longest time, but it built up and built up and ended with what was one of my favorite matches and maybe the best match on Dynamite from 2020.

How long did people suspect MJF would be part of a faction with FTR? You go back to mid last year when Tully was scouting MJF. And now we have the payoff.

I love it. It's great. Sometimes you get a shit feud like Cody vs Shaq, but more often than not you get something good.

• Like 5

By the way, last night I thought Dynamite was really good and humming along until Darby vs Scorp started and it was apparent that it would not be the main event. I thought, what is left for the main event. And then I realized the War Council would be ending the show.

I cringed because I'm kinda tired of the conferences the Inner Circle keeps having.

And then the way it all played out was beautiful. Just beautiful.

• Like 1

Promos being interrupted is bad enough, but the perpetual booking of postmatch angles is what kills people the most on this show every week. No one is allowed to just have some heat and let it sit for a while, there has to be SOMETHING afterward which is intended to ratchet up the excitement but just ends up making very few people look genuinely strong week-to-week. 

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

By the way, last night I thought Dynamite was really good and humming along until Darby vs Scorp started and it was apparent that it would not be the main event. I thought, what is left for the main event. And then I realized the War Council would be ending the show.

I cringed because I'm kinda tired of the conferences the Inner Circle keeps having.

And then the way it all played out was beautiful. Just beautiful.

I had an identical experience, after the Darby match was over I asked aloud to myself "what the fuck is left?" Then the graphic appeared for the War Council and I had the best of suspicions that it being the closer for the show meant a big angle. Never would have guessed it would be THAT big of an angle but it was delicious.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Craig H said:

There was a point where @just drewhatred of Kenny kinda bugged me because, like, it's a very weird opinion to have considering that Omega is objectively a great wrestler, but now it's more or less amusing to me.

Well, we now have someone who shows up every week to air his grievances about HOOK, of all people, so that has probably skewed our perception of what constitutes a weird AEW beef these days.  I mean, at least Kenny is actually a big part of the show.

Edited by EVA
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
16 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Every time I see Kenny Omega I see Kip Winger. 

Shawn Spears will never get a pinfall as a member of the Burberry Street Posse.

Every time I see Kenny Omega I see Don Sutherland as "Oddball", except heel Kenny's the one sending out all the negative waaaaves, baby!

21 minutes ago, Craig H said:

There was a point where @just drewhatred of Kenny kinda bugged me because, like, it's a very weird opinion to have considering that Omega is objectively a great wrestler, but now it's more or less amusing to me. It's especially amusing to see him give Spears a pass. I mean, so long as it doesn't veer into that weird Cornette territory, then it's fine.

I'd be interested to see how you are coming to an objective conclusion of Kenny being a great wrestler. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Matt D said:

What is hugely impressive to me on the outside in is how they're hitting so many big marks one after the other.

Two weeks ago there was the Big Show. Last week they did Cody vs Shaq. At the PPV they did the exploding match and debuted Christian. Then they had the big new stable last night. Plus all of the women's and midcard stuff. None of it really felt like hotshotting because it's all different programs up and down the card. It doesn't seem perfect, but things have stakes and build and payoff and things happen. There are a lot of fires burning.

Maybe it was me mulling over Mox/Eddie and Kenny's responses to the match but throughout the show I felt like there was way too much hotshotting for my liking.  I know it was them setting the table for a new "season" with things either making sense or will pretty soon.  And for all I know it may have been a similar thing for the post-Revolution show last year (will need to look that up to see)  But it just seemed like so much was being done all at once that I can't help but wonder if it was a reaction to the end of Sunday.

I dunno, I'm going off of gut feeling so maybe it's just me needing to watch it again.  I hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Craig H said:

OH OH OH

Jake and Sting are kinda feuding again! So that's neat!

I'm scared to see a Spin the Wheel, Make the Deal callback segment because this promotion would actually do that. At the very least they'll have Jake wearing a COAL MINER'S GLOVE~ and be all "REMEMBER THIS, STING?" Then Darby Allin sets it on fire before eating it or something.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

The Pentagon promo and brawl may have been my highlight.

That's one more thing I liked. The last comment hit and shit was on. Everybody running out immediately made it feel like they were all in the back listening, murmuring to each other that they're probably gonna have to go stop them.

Also have to admire the movement of the chess pieces. No more Eddie faction so B&B go with Matt, Penta gets at Cody, Fenix and Pac stay together. New faction from MJF etc. No Taz faction on the show either to clutter things.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Craig H said:

OH OH OH

Jake and Sting are kinda feuding again! So that's neat!

Let's see if there will be any subtle references to a DDT(s) on a steel chair, a coal miner's glove, a snake biting someone's face or spinning wheels in the coming weeks. Anything to give it a little continuity would be super cool!

...SMG seems to have a similar train of thought, albeit from a different standpoint....

Edited by Shartnado
SMG got in first
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

No Taz faction on the show either to clutter things.

Yeesh, this sort of blindsided my positive feelings because it reminds me how overstuffed the roster is right now. Darby survived the elbowdrop to hell from the PPV, is Cage dead? Hell, Starks didn't even get fucked up too much and didn't appear either. As I've typed I'm okay with it because earlier in this same thread I was bemoaning the appearances of other people who really shouldn't have been okay after the abuse they would have theoretically taken at the PPV. Taz could have cut a sixty second promo maybe that told the audience how his people are doing in the aftermath since he was obviously not involved in the street fight.

I think the "Christian is showing heel tendencies" stuff is coming from how he wouldn't shake Kenny's hand. Honestly, he has little reason not to do so, but after rewatching that segment the lack of a handshake is the only thing he does that isn't 100% face.

30 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Although, hate on Kenny all you want, but Maki "hitting" Shida with the mic was the worst thing on the show.

I think it’s hard to say someone is objectively great in wrestling maybe beyond the execution of the moves. Since there is an element of subjectivity into what makes you enjoy a match.

Spears performs all of his moves well. His matches have been unspectacular but solid and he hasn’t embarrassed himself by being an idiot in the ring. I think the issue with him is he’s never had a character that really connected. I hope he’s able to find that with this new horseman stable.

But people online seem to really hate him. Aside from the character, I think he might be looked down on because he was a jobber in WWE. Which is a shame because WWE is garbage at identifying talent to push. How they have wasted Cesaro and Chad Gable is criminal.

With Omega I’d only seen the Jericho match in NJPW and one of the Okada matches that Meltzer gave seven stars  or whatever to.

And he’s had some good matches but I have always found his tap dancing before moves, effeminate hand gestures, weird facial expressions, and odd promos off putting. 

To me, he came across as a weirdo douchebag as a face, so I’m glad he’s become a heel and just turned that up.

Personally, I don’t think he sucks but I also think great might be a little generous and the greatest of all time talk is ridiculous. He doesn’t come close to touching Angle, Benoit, or Guerrero in their primes for instance.

But to each their own I guess.

Anyway, after work I somehow completely spaced out that it was Wednesday until the Callis Kenny Omega promo, so I missed most of the show.

With the reported audio issues it’s probably not worth it to bother to going back.

I wish they would actually do something with Scorpio Sky. When he’s been given a chance he’s shined. The initial tag tournament, the match with Jericho. But he just disappears into obscurity after those.

The MJF Inner Circle stuff is cool. Everyone saw the MJF turn coming but with the triple swerve it still ended up being surprising which is impressive. So they deserve credit for that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Also, yes, Maki Itoh does that entrance every time. Unless she's super serious and focused, then she forgoes it. It's happened a few times.

Was thinking last night about how eventually I'm going to know that song by heart, whether I want to or not.

Was also thinking that without the music, you could really tell she's a pretty good singer.  (Yes I know about her backstory)

• Like 2

They have a good opportunity to build some real drama with Cody Rhodes questioning arn anderson on if that four horseman reunion a few weeks back was just saying 'hi' to old friends or something deeper.  and a great tie in to MJF and their past and the rhodes-anderson history. Great television ahead if they go that route.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

TBF, I do think I got shitfaced in like January and started calling him "Kenneth." That was odd. I'll cop to that.

I think what bothers me so much about him is that so many people just seem to accept that "great doer of moves" now somehow equals "great wrestler." Omega is a great "doer of moves." But it's impossible to me to invest emotionally in his matches when he goes out of his way not to sell or pace himself. And the promos, holy shit. Ugh.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

How long did people suspect MJF would be part of a faction with FTR?

Yeah, I seem to recall someone putting it out there, maybe once, I don't know. Or, maybe that didn't happen, and I remember wrong. I mean, who the hell knows, anymore?